• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
Planet Realtor *>* Florida *>* News *>* Daily

Real estate experts forecast growth

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Nov. 7, 2005 -- Forget the I-4 corridor. Interstate 10 and this area of North Florida are poised to be the next hot spot for real-estate development, according to some real-estate experts.

That's because lack of available land and water supplies as well as growth-management problems are continuing to plague South Florida.

"We've recently become a part of Florida now," said Will Butler, of the St. Joe Land Co. Butler was among the real-estate experts and more than 500 attendees Friday who shared their knowledge of the industry at Florida State University's Real Estate Trends & Networking Conference.

The conference, in its 11th year, was held at the University Center Club.

"I believe - whether we want to see this area of the state change or not - we will see unprecedented growth along I-10," Butler said.

But that growth will come in stages, experts say, as many residents still want to live in bigger cities in Central and South Florida.

Currently those cities are seeing exponential growth in condominiums. But many additional condo projects might not get off the drawing board, according to real-estate officials.

They see a slowdown of more expensive condos, and more affordable ones may come into the market. But sales, said real-estate officials, didn't seemed to have been affected by the hurricanes.

The rental market, however, has seen a backlash.

The demand for more condos means more condo conversions. Tampa Bay, said Michael Slater, with TRAIAD Research & Consulting, has lost at least 25,000 rental units because of conversions.

And that's too bad because "it's a good time to own rental assets," Slater said, "They're just hard to find."

Historically, Florida's rental market growth has been faster than that of the nation. Nationally, the growth rate was around 2.45 percent. Most Florida metro markets realized growth of about 4 percent a year. But now the rate is 6 percent to 10 percent a year.

Similar growth rates also are being seen in the retail office market area.

Trend watchers reported that the Florida office market is outperforming that of any other state. Only Washington, D.C., is doing better. Statewide, vacancy rates hover at about 13.7 percent.

In Florida, retail office space still can be rented around $20 a square foot, according to Paul Ellis, of the Trammel Crow Co.

Because of Florida's low office rental rates, more companies are doing regional relocations. The state's natural resources and lack of a personal income tax are also attractive to companies. It also has a strong labor pool. There are at least 50 colleges and universities in the Orlando area alone.

Prices for office space will rise, said experts, because of land and construction costs and operating expenses, as reasons. But the good news, they say, is that the market will remain competitive.

George Banks, Summit East's operations manager, believes he's seeing that already.

Banks handles leasing for the technology park at U.S. 90 East and Interstate 10, which plans to build at least 10 to 12 other buildings. Currently, its three buildings are 100-percent leased.

"The demand is there for our product," Banks said. "And based on this, it looks like it will continue to be strong."

Copyright ? 2005 Tallahassee Democrat, Juana Jordan. All Rights Reserved.

Dabell

Beach Fanatic
Sep 15, 2005
New York
ecopal said:
Planet Realtor *>* Florida *>* News *>* Daily

Real estate experts forecast growth

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Nov. 7, 2005 -- Forget the I-4 corridor. Interstate 10 and this area of North Florida are poised to be the next hot spot for real-estate development, according to some real-estate experts.

That's because lack of available land and water supplies as well as growth-management problems are continuing to plague South Florida.

"We've recently become a part of Florida now," said Will Butler, of the St. Joe Land Co. Butler was among the real-estate experts and more than 500 attendees Friday who shared their knowledge of the industry at Florida State University's Real Estate Trends & Networking Conference.

The conference, in its 11th year, was held at the University Center Club.

"I believe - whether we want to see this area of the state change or not - we will see unprecedented growth along I-10," Butler said.

But that growth will come in stages, experts say, as many residents still want to live in bigger cities in Central and South Florida.

Currently those cities are seeing exponential growth in condominiums. But many additional condo projects might not get off the drawing board, according to real-estate officials.

They see a slowdown of more expensive condos, and more affordable ones may come into the market. But sales, said real-estate officials, didn't seemed to have been affected by the hurricanes.

The rental market, however, has seen a backlash.

The demand for more condos means more condo conversions. Tampa Bay, said Michael Slater, with TRAIAD Research & Consulting, has lost at least 25,000 rental units because of conversions.

And that's too bad because "it's a good time to own rental assets," Slater said, "They're just hard to find."

Historically, Florida's rental market growth has been faster than that of the nation. Nationally, the growth rate was around 2.45 percent. Most Florida metro markets realized growth of about 4 percent a year. But now the rate is 6 percent to 10 percent a year.

Similar growth rates also are being seen in the retail office market area.

Trend watchers reported that the Florida office market is outperforming that of any other state. Only Washington, D.C., is doing better. Statewide, vacancy rates hover at about 13.7 percent.

In Florida, retail office space still can be rented around $20 a square foot, according to Paul Ellis, of the Trammel Crow Co.

Because of Florida's low office rental rates, more companies are doing regional relocations. The state's natural resources and lack of a personal income tax are also attractive to companies. It also has a strong labor pool. There are at least 50 colleges and universities in the Orlando area alone.

Prices for office space will rise, said experts, because of land and construction costs and operating expenses, as reasons. But the good news, they say, is that the market will remain competitive.

George Banks, Summit East's operations manager, believes he's seeing that already.

Banks handles leasing for the technology park at U.S. 90 East and Interstate 10, which plans to build at least 10 to 12 other buildings. Currently, its three buildings are 100-percent leased.

"The demand is there for our product," Banks said. "And based on this, it looks like it will continue to be strong."

Copyright ? 2005 Tallahassee Democrat, Juana Jordan. All Rights Reserved.

Well I wish It would boom and I could sell my place!

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Dabell: I hope you can sell your property but don't get too anxious - now buyers seem to be "cherry picking" some prime properties at bargain prices in this is unprecedented buying opportunity environment.

In the last week we have been seeing a significant increase in activity on our lot on 30a. However, our lot is unique in that it is large, walking distance to the beach, and has no build out time. It also has an elevation that is above historical storm surge levels yet is close enough to
the beach to have a view.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
DaBell:

FYI we have actually decreased our price by about $100,000 since we listed it. However, based on the trend of buyers looking for beach property with a high elevation and above historical storm surge levels we will be returning our price to the original appropriate level very soon-perhaps within a couple of weeks.

30a has the highest coastal elevation of any property in Florida or for that matter in the southern US. The current high inventory of property on 30a masks the fact that such high elevation coastal property really is rare.

We are now noticing the appearence of "smart money investors" out there bargain hunting.We have had a perfect storm of negative factors influencing the market which makes it it good time to buy but not sell.

If you can wait until March and April to sell you might want to hold on. We are now begining to see the convergence of a number of positive elements which may launch the appreciation of prices again.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
to SHELLY-thanks for the article.
I am not surpised that the central Florida Land O' Lakes market is slowing. What surpises me is that anyone wanted to buy there in the first place.

I love Scenic 30A!

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
ecopal said:
to SHELLY-thanks for the article.
I am not surpised that the central Florida Land O' Lakes market is slowing. What surpises me is that anyone wanted to buy there in the first place.

I love Scenic 30A!

Today on CNBC a big-time mortgage guy said business is way, way down now that easy money has dried up. He also said many of his family members (who are well-placed REMAX agents in the Sarasota and west coast Florida area) are letting him know in no uncertain terms that buyers are few and far between for their ever expanding <and probably overpriced> listings.

Housing demand isn't going to go away--it will, however, revert back to the mean (which ISN'T double digit appreciation, buyers camping out and 3 turnovers in a week).

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
SHELLY said:
Today on CNBC a big-time mortgage guy said business is way, way down now that easy money has dried up. He also said many of his family members (who are well-placed REMAX agents in the Sarasota and west coast Florida area) are letting him know in no uncertain terms that buyers are few and far between for their ever expanding <and probably overpriced> listings.

Housing demand isn't going to go away--it will, however, revert back to the mean (which ISN'T double digit appreciation, buyers camping out and 3 turnovers in a week).

And you know what SHELLY...for me that's just peachy!!!! IMHO, extremes in anything finally even out....it's like that old pendulum.

bsullie

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Seacrest Florida
Help! Need remodeling references

OK...lots of you are familiar with the area and maybe have some good suggestions for dependable, reliable remodelers. We have plans, permit and are ready to go. Tired of waiting on a fllaky guy who refuses to get his act together and get started. Frustrated!! :bang:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Re: Help! Need remodeling references

bsullie said:
OK...lots of you are familiar with the area and maybe have some good suggestions for dependable, reliable remodelers. We have plans, permit and are ready to go. Tired of waiting on a fllaky guy who refuses to get his act together and get started. Frustrated!! :bang:

You should start a new thread.