Pattern In Sheriff Candidates

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by WileCoyote, Mar 5, 2008.

1. WileCoyote

WileCoyote Beach Lover

:pissed:

Has anyone noticed that all of the pre-filed candiates except one have ties to Ralph Johnson.

I have never been a big believer in conspiracies but this one has me really wondering.

Are all of these people simply "running" for one reason and one reason - split the vote 9 ways and so he will win. We even have candidates coming from adjacent counties to run. (He has ties to Ralph as well)

Is Mike Adkinson the only candidate that has no ties to Ralph?

Come on guys are you just cannon fodder for the Sheriff ? Are you the next batch of lieutenants and captains if Ralph wins ? There have been over 300 people show the door during his administration. Whats a few more to get elected. What we need to do is show Ralph the door !

Note : If there are any current employees' of the WCSO - please hurry up and pre qualify so that my theory can be proven.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. The Watcher

The Watcher Beach Fanatic

I can definately appreciate your concern, however, I really do not think that Dennis Wise, for one, has any agenda in wanting to keep Ralph Johnson around. I also am pretty sure that one prior candidate, Bill Imfeld, also falls into the category of not being part of the clique, which is why such effort was made to eliminate him early on. I really do not know much about the others and their plans, but I do not think they are in the race to "help" Ralph intentionally.

I think a great deal of this vote splitting concern comes from candidates who mean well and have good intent, entering the race without doing their homework and/or communicating with each other. If an candidate is serious about serving the public, they will look at themselves and really decide if they stand a chance, right now, just about anyone can enter the race and have about even odds with any other candidate.

Please wake up people, although I do not agree with the conspiracy theory posed here, the splitting of the vote is an issue. There are a few candidates that should bow out of the race immediately, pick a candidate to support and start to get active in finding new leadership in law enforcement, not helping (unknowingly) to preserve the current status quo.

3. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

I think what is being pointed out is what ties the candidates have to the department. Imfeld had none, but he is not a candidate at this time so it really does not matter.

Alicia has an excellent report on the current political situation from the Sheriff's pov in this weeks paper. You can read it online
    http://southwalton.com/?p=1481.

It would seem that there may be more than one conspiracy afoot, depending on whom you speak.

4. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Are we talking ties to the WCSO, which I certainly hope a candidate would have, or ties to the sheriff himself?

You can't fully understand the WCSO unless you have ties to it. Long-term ties.

5. seagrovegirl

seagrovegirl Beach Fanatic

Shallows...throw your hat in the ring........I think you would make a great sheriff!!!!

6. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

What is to understand? There are not a bunch of secret meetings happening that I am not being invited? I sure hope not. I get left out of so much here lately.

7. tony4sheriff

tony4sheriff Beach Comber

Hello again,
    I would like to address the concerns some of you have with a conspiracy to have Sheriff Johnson re-elected and the thoughts that the candidates have ties to him. I agree with WaltonGOP(RN is that you) it depends on who you talk to as what conspiracy might be thought. I think every issue or situation could have a conspiracy thought, if you allow it. Personally, I can tell you that I am not a part of any conspiracy to have Johnson or anyone else re-elected. My focus and concern is to work hard on my campaign to get TONY CORNMAN elected as your next sheriff. As far as ties to Johnson goes...yes I do know Johnson through my law enforcement profession, do we talk on a regular basis, NO. As a matter of fact, out of courtesy I attempted to contact him to let him know that I was running for sheriff. I left two messages for him and he did not return my calls...so no I would not say that I have close ties to Johnson. I do have ties to the Walton County Sheriff's Office as that is where I began my Law enforcemnt career over 25 years ago.

8. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
    Thank you for speaking up.:wave: and :welcome:

9. Jimmy Macon

Jimmy Macon Beach Comber

To all concern citizens of Walton Conuty.
    Just to let you know that I am not and never will be part of an conspiracy to help any candiddate get re-elected or elected. I am in this race for the people and will be a community Sheriff who cares for the citizens safety,respect and concerns. Yes I did work under Sheriff Johnson for five years before leaving in May 2005 to persue my dreams of becoming a Sheriff who will enforce the laws fairly, but at the same work with the citizens to make our county a safer place to live, work and play.
    Thanks J. Macon

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  10. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

thank you jimmy! and welcome.

11. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
    Ditto:wave:

12. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

Ah. Then it is not just me. I send him emails, write him letters, and make phone calls and can not get the courtesy of a response. Here I was thinking I did something wrong. That is one thing I never can understand, an elected official not returning a call. Especially when you have so many people working for you that could do it on your behalf.

13. WileCoyote

WileCoyote Beach Lover

The old saying "A bit dog hollers loudest" comes to mind.

It is funny that two of them immediately deny that it is happening.

Gentlemen - am I to believe that you would admit to being a part of this conspiracy ?

I quess their premise is that those who don't deny their involvement are a part of the conspiracy.

Batter Up !

14. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama
    From what I understand from reading posts and listening to people I think ALL these guys have ties to the current sheriff. The common denominator is they all LOATH him. Wise, Macon and Brown may have stronger feelings than Adkinson or Corman, because they actually worked for him, but I think it is more "me too" as to who thinks johnson must go because he is incompetent or evil or both. Another common theme is that they have all aspired to be the sheriff of this county a long time,some of them for most of their lives. So, lets get everybody who hates ralph and wants to be sheriff on the ballot and let um duke it out. Surely ralph is through whether there are 2 or 20 other names on the ballot. Anyone who would vote for him again deserves what they get.:eek:

15. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

Statistically an incumbet gets a 20 point bump.

16. ShallowsNole

Unfortunately, that was said in 2004, too. I know because I said it. No more electioneering for me. :roll:

17. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama

Two different races my dear, ole sheriff man was much stronger last time. Last time people said they did not like him but he was doing a good job. Now they are only laughing at him. And he has made so many enemies that it will only get worse. I think he could not get 5% of the vote in his own department if what I hear is true. The problem with these candidates as I see it is that they all think everyone else should drop out and that they are the man for the job. What we really need is a lady to enter the race and all these guys be gentlemen and bow out. That's about the only way I can think of to keep the candidates in single figures.:rofl::bang:

18. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

I have a question. Has Ralph Johnson said he is running for re-election? If so, with all the intelligence and experience exhibited on this board, it is up to all of us to make sure the electorate is well aware of what a lousy job the present sheriff is doing and a vote for him, regardless of your party affiliation, is a vote for the continuation of "more of the same". Speak up, folks, to all your friends and neighbors and tell them your concerns. Remember, August is not that far away.

19. ShallowsNole

:lol: The duct tape around my tongue and over my fingers is definitely starting to hurt. ;-)

(can't say it, can't say it, can't say it,...:blush:)

20. ShallowsNole

I actually can respond to this one. Yes, he is.