Paula Deen's Family Kitchen Ribbon Cutting

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by SoWal Staff, Apr 8, 2019.

1. SoWal Staff

SoWal Staff Serving the Community! Staff Member

What: Paula Deen's Family Kitchen Ribbon Cutting
    When: Friday, April 26, 2019
    Time: 9:00 am
    Where: Paula Deen's Family Kitchen
    Join the Chamber of Commerce in welcoming Paula Deen's Family Kitchen to the Destin Commons. The Ribbon Cutting celebration will take place on Friday, April 26th beginning at 9am.

Paula Deen's Family Kitchen serves up delicious comfort food in a family-style setting from the very same recipes that launched Paula Deen’s career. Stop by to enjoy entrees, side dishes and desserts from Paula’s very own cookbooks!

[​IMG]

Award-winning Destin Commons is anchored by Bass Pro Shops, Belk, H&M, Uncle Buck’s Fishbowl & Grill, the largest Lush in Florida, and AMC Destin, a 14-screen stadium style movie theatre. The outdoor lifestyle center also offers 70,000 square feet of Class A office space, free WiFi access, interactive pop fountain, and Pirate’s Cove children’s soft play area.

Destin Commons is located on the corner of the Mid Bay Bridge Rd & Hwy 98. For more information, please visit DestinCommons.com and find them on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.

2. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

my friends went for a birthday dinner and said it was a gut bomb. But excellent. Must go and get some good southern food!!!

3. E5150

E5150 Beach Comber

It appears their menu makes it impossible for singles to eat there, maybe even couples. I'm not a "family". Guess they don't want my patronage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  4. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

All you can eat is all you can eat. It is 20$ a person whether 1 or 100. Why would that preclude anyone from eating there as a singleton? Get the two entrees, four sides, and chow down. The garlic cheese bisuits and deserts are fantastic. And collards are crazy good. Mac and cheese was like Morrisons or S&S. This is a compliment.

5. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Speaking of collards - me and others trip to Grayton Beer Brewpub for the collards!

6. Teresa

Good stuff.

7. Teresa

Thanks Paula Deen for your support!!

Paula Deen stops by Food For Thought Outreach Inc in South Walton to check out what these future chefs are doing and bag a few lunch with volunteers with the organization. She also gave a check to the organization to continue their growing mission to feed students in Walton and Okaloosa County. Paula Deen is in town this week to celebrate the opening of her newest restaurant at the Destin Commons

FB_IMG_1556460633958.jpg

FB_IMG_1556460660821.jpg

8. ell

ell Beach Lover

Totally agree. That's a high price to pay for a lot of food that will go to waste. And you can't take it with you. Was told they do not have to go containers and that includes cups. No tea to go!!

9. Teresa

Family Style dining with all you can eat...

You may enjoy refills of your favorite items at no additional charge but as an all-you-can-eat establishment we do not offer to go boxes.

10. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

Had out of town guests who wanted to eat there today and IMHO this wouldn’t be worth it at half the price. The format and the food both suck. If those were fresh vegetables they were cooked to the consistency of canned goods. Will never step foot in this establishment again.

11. Katie_lied

Katie_lied Beach Crab

I never would’ve stepped foot in there in the first place. The name of this establishment alone makes me gag and did so before the scandal. I would’ve given my friends directions and called an Uber for them! You’re a better person than me!

12. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

The food at Paula Deen’s makes Old Time Buffet look like a white tablecloth candle lit fine dining establishment.

13. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

CLOSED!

14. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Yep... Pier Park and Commons are no longer listed on the website.

15. Teresa

Paula Deen restaurants in Panama City Beach and Destin close

BAY COUNTY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - The Paula Deen's Family Kitchens in our area have closed their doors.

A representative from Destin Commons tells us four locations opened by Phoenix Hospitality + Entertainment all closed Monday. Those include the restaurants in Destin and in Panama City Beach.

"We were disappointed to learn that Phoenix Hospitality + Entertainment permanently closed all four of its Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen restaurants Monday, November 11th. Retail space at Destin Commons continues to be in high demand and we look forward to introducing a new concept soon," Heather Ruiz with Destin Commons told us in a statement.

Employees tell us they showed up to work at the Pier Park location and started their prep work, only to find out the doors weren't opening. They tell us they were not warned Monday would be their last day.

"I have no clue where I'll go from here," Tiffany Wainwright, an employee of the Pier Park location, said. "I have bills, kids, you know we are all worried about that. What will we do? Where will we go? How will we pay our bills? Christmas is right around the corner, Thanksgiving is, and again we are still dealing with the effects from Hurricane Michael. We didn't deserve what happened to us [Monday]."

Paula Deen was in Panama City Beach in May when the Pier Park restaurant held its grand opening.

Jaret Keller, a representative for Paula Deen Ventures, sent us this statement Monday night:
    "Unfortunately, Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen’s licensing partner, Phoenix Hospitality, has decided to close its Destin and Panama City Beach, Florida locations. Paula Deen Ventures plans to work with the landlords at these locations while considering to reopen them next Spring. The possible restructuring of the businesses would provide our guests with exceptional dining experience that lives up to our brand standards. Our sincere thanks to the community and our wonderful employees for their support and loyalty."

Paula Deen restaurants in Panama City Beach and Destin close

16. Sweet Pot Pie

Sweet Pot Pie Beach Comber

I am sure Paula Deen just didn't get the message and alert the fine people that work for her organization. Right...

17. kayti elliott

kayti elliott Beach Lover

I'm kind of like my dad. He says that when he eats out he wants something special, not home cooking. If I want home cooking, I'll stay at home.

18. Teresa

I never got a chance to try it. Sounds like their business model was not a good one. Nor the quality. I heard some good things but mostly not good.

19. carson

carson Beach Fanatic

They closed both of their Texas locations in the same manner in late August. I do not know how much she was really involved.

Another Broken Egg opens Monday the 18th in Destin Commons between Zoe's and World of Beer.

20. kayti elliott

kayti elliott Beach Lover

I guess it just goes to show that some kinds of businesses just don't work in some markets. Didn't a popular South Walton Restaurant's owner open a restaurant in PC several years ago and it closed almost before it opened?