• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mightyern

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
Heard from a reliable source (seemed like it wasn't common knowledge yet) that today begins a trial run of paid parking in Seaside. Parking will include Central Square and Smolian Circle and will be $5.00. It will be managed by a valet company.

Good idea/Bad idea?

Obviously traffic and too many cars has become a real problem over there but does this leave ANY free public parking?

Employees will be parking and taking a shuttle from an empty lot at 283 which will run from 7am-12am. I think this is actually a good idea as long as it does not hinder employees getting to/from work on time.

I don't have an opinion one way or another because I rarely go into Seaside because of overcrowding. When I do, I almost always ride my bike.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Guess they've gotta pay for those bathrooms somehow....

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I guess you saw my tweet this morning.

School seems to have started back across most of the country and parking is easy everywhere in SoWal.

Mightyern

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
I guess you saw my tweet this morning.

School seems to have started back across most of the country and parking is easy everywhere in SoWal.

Oh, no actually, I don't follow you on Twitter because I rarely use it. I got the info from a person who works in the area. I moved from Sowal to PC recently so I don't know how things are looking.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I think it is a horrible idea now that the summer season is over because this will deter locals from going to Seaside. Might have been a good idea at the height of the summer season, but this is going to kill the businesses at Seaside. I have children at the school and they have given us a pass that says "Pass Through Only" meaning that we are allowed to pick up our children, but not to park. This will greatly deter local families from stopping at Seaside after school for a snack at Modica's, a quick trip to SunDog's for a book, and other shopping. We have been stopping at Seaside after school for years! I also have a 16 yr. old daughter who works in Seaside and this is going to add 30 minutes to her 10 min. drive to work. So said to see this.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Will be interesting to see what initiates the collapse of this scheme first-the irrate homeowners having people park on their 'private' streets or the traffic snarl on the Chas. Modica Hospitality Hwy. New Urbanists might review what happened to old urbanist business when parking became a tolled luxury.

Mightyern

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
I think it is a horrible idea now that the summer season is over because this will deter locals from going to Seaside. Might have been a good idea at the height of the summer season, but this is going to kill the businesses at Seaside. I have children at the school and they have given us a pass that says "Pass Through Only" meaning that we are allowed to pick up our children, but not to park. This will greatly deter local families from stopping at Seaside after school for a snack at Modica's, a quick trip to SunDog's for a book, and other shopping. We have been stopping at Seaside after school for years! I also have a 16 yr. old daughter who works in Seaside and this is going to add 30 minutes to her 10 min. drive to work. So said to see this.

Thank you for pointing this out. I really didn't think about the fact that it is now the END of the peak season and there really isn't much traffic to speak of down there in the off season.

Doesn't seem logical to start now only when businesses thrive off of locals for the off season when locals have plenty of other places they can go that won't charge for parking. I'm wondering if this is just temporary for the remainder of the busy August/September end of summer crowd or if this is just going to be the norm from now on.

I volunteer at The REP quite a bit and would hate to be charged for parking when I am coming to GIVE my time to an organization that brings quite a bit to the Seaside community. Pretty A$$ backwards if I do say so myself.

Kurt, since I beat you to the punch this morning I will at least follow you to make up for it.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Just confirmed with an employee in Ruskin that plan is in effect. She paid the $5

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks, I saw the valet parking signs and roped off parking around the amphitheater this morning and wondered what was going on.

I already avoid Seaside events and frequent their businesses less due to the parking issues and higher prices. Making me pay more money and requiring me to give my car keys to a stranger is not a solution.

They need to come up with a better plan.