Pay to park in Seaside?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Mightyern, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Mightyern

Mightyern Beach Lover

Heard from a reliable source (seemed like it wasn't common knowledge yet) that today begins a trial run of paid parking in Seaside. Parking will include Central Square and Smolian Circle and will be $5.00. It will be managed by a valet company.

Good idea/Bad idea?

Obviously traffic and too many cars has become a real problem over there but does this leave ANY free public parking?

Employees will be parking and taking a shuttle from an empty lot at 283 which will run from 7am-12am. I think this is actually a good idea as long as it does not hinder employees getting to/from work on time.

I don't have an opinion one way or another because I rarely go into Seaside because of overcrowding. When I do, I almost always ride my bike.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Guess they've gotta pay for those bathrooms somehow....

2. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

I guess you saw my tweet this morning.

School seems to have started back across most of the country and parking is easy everywhere in SoWal.

3. Mightyern

Mightyern Beach Lover

Oh, no actually, I don't follow you on Twitter because I rarely use it. I got the info from a person who works in the area. I moved from Sowal to PC recently so I don't know how things are looking.

4. Mightyern

Mightyern Beach Lover

Also appears my post was before your tweet....oHHHHH BREAKING NEWS! haha ;)

5. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

6. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

I think it is a horrible idea now that the summer season is over because this will deter locals from going to Seaside. Might have been a good idea at the height of the summer season, but this is going to kill the businesses at Seaside. I have children at the school and they have given us a pass that says "Pass Through Only" meaning that we are allowed to pick up our children, but not to park. This will greatly deter local families from stopping at Seaside after school for a snack at Modica's, a quick trip to SunDog's for a book, and other shopping. We have been stopping at Seaside after school for years! I also have a 16 yr. old daughter who works in Seaside and this is going to add 30 minutes to her 10 min. drive to work. So said to see this.

7. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Will be interesting to see what initiates the collapse of this scheme first-the irrate homeowners having people park on their 'private' streets or the traffic snarl on the Chas. Modica Hospitality Hwy. New Urbanists might review what happened to old urbanist business when parking became a tolled luxury.

8. Mightyern

Mightyern Beach Lover

Thank you for pointing this out. I really didn't think about the fact that it is now the END of the peak season and there really isn't much traffic to speak of down there in the off season.

Doesn't seem logical to start now only when businesses thrive off of locals for the off season when locals have plenty of other places they can go that won't charge for parking. I'm wondering if this is just temporary for the remainder of the busy August/September end of summer crowd or if this is just going to be the norm from now on.

I volunteer at The REP quite a bit and would hate to be charged for parking when I am coming to GIVE my time to an organization that brings quite a bit to the Seaside community. Pretty A$$ backwards if I do say so myself.

Kurt, since I beat you to the punch this morning I will at least follow you to make up for it.

9. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Just confirmed with an employee in Ruskin that plan is in effect. She paid the $5

10. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

Thanks, I saw the valet parking signs and roped off parking around the amphitheater this morning and wondered what was going on.

I already avoid Seaside events and frequent their businesses less due to the parking issues and higher prices. Making me pay more money and requiring me to give my car keys to a stranger is not a solution.

They need to come up with a better plan.

11. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Relax, parking is only $2.50 with your Tarpon Club card. What more can we locals ask for?!

12. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

do golf carts park free?:blink:

13. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Camp Creek Kid - very well stated. So much for dropping in for a quick coffee, lunch or shopping on a regular basis.

14. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I had to check the date to make sure this wasn't an April Fool's joke.

15. groveral

groveral Beach Lover

this is being done to control crowded parking? i think the more likely outcome is to "control" people shopping there. I would never consider paid parking to shop.

Bike or walk for me from now on---but, not happy about this move which seems more about money than control.

16. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

Are there any attempts to address the root problems?

Any plans to provide public transportation or shuttles from other parking?

Is there a discount for cars with 3 or more people to encourage carpooling?

Any price breaks to encourage fly-in visitors to take a taxi from the airport instead of a rental car?

17. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Are there really that many fly-in visitors staying on 30A? It always seems people who fly in stay in more full service resort-like areas or hotels (in Destin and PCB)- places where they can just show up with a suitcase. There is no way the typical 30A vacationer could get the contents of an SUV on a plane. That is funny.:lol:

18. Mightyern

Mightyern Beach Lover

I just received word that there is a max of 10-15 cars or so in Central Square. Inside scoop is also that the valets aren't the brightest, leave their post often and lots of cars are sneaking by on Smolian. This is kinda a bummer for all the wonderful businesses in Seaside that people may not frequent as often due to the parking fee. Hopefully someone raises hell.

19. beachma

beachma Beach Lover

My husband and I are flying down next Saturday for a much anticipated 9 day stay in Seagrove. This is our first trip down in 3 years without our children and grandchildren. We always stay on the beach side of 30A, but spend lots of time in Seaside...often making multiple trips in a day to have breakfast, return to our condo/beach, then back to Seaside for dinner/shopping. Paying $5 for each trip seems quite over the top and will definitely deter us from as many trips we normally make to spend our money at shops, restaurants, etc. Very disappointing! Reminds me of when we encountered the huge "Private Beach for Seaside Guests Only" signs a few years back!

20. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

Drove by a few minutes ago. Ten or 15 cars is about right, and much less foot traffic than normal.
    I used to pop into Modica frequently and Dawson's once and a while, etc. No more.
    Will it be $5 parking for the farmer's market too??
    FYI - the TDC parking lot between Seaside and WaterColor is nearly full. Guess the TDC bought Seaside an overflow parking lot.