• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JHA

Beach Comber
Jun 5, 2007
Carrollton, Ga
Have friends staying in PCB during Labor Day weekend. Please advise best luncheon and dinner restaurants - seafood, steaks, sandwiches, etc.

Thanks. John

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
In PCB - Dan's BBQ, Big Daddy's - both on 98, Dusty's on Beach Road.

In PC (St. Andrew's on Beck Ave.) - Hunt's Oyster Bar

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
PCB-
Boars Head
SaltWater Grill
The Pasta Grill (front Beach road, E of Hwy 79)
Pompano's has good sushi
Angelo's (cheesy I know but their steaks are good)
Sunnyside Grill (a dive but great country cookin)

PC-
Hunts
Captain's Table
Uncle Ernies
The Cheese Barn
Granny Cantrell's (soul food)
Cahall's Deli
Big City Fish

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
FYI- Dusty's and Uncle Ernie's were both recently caught selling Grouper Sandwiches which contained fish, but not Grouper. See this report.

"We also ordered a "catch of the day" sandwich from Uncle Ernie's and asked for grouper specifically. Our receipt shows we paid two dollars extra for the upgrade, but the DNA of the fish showed it was Nile perch.

Sean Lyon, co-owner of Uncle Ernie's says he spends thousands of dollars on fresh grouper every week.

"We put tilapia for sandwiches, and then we upcharge for grouper, so what possibly could've happened is somebody could've pulled the wrong sandwich down out of the window. That could be possible because we are human, and you know we took over this restaurant from our parents 2 years ago, and I pride myself on serving fresh grouper," says Lyon.

Lyon says he welcomes testing any time at the restaurant. He also says they're changing the "catch of the day" sandwich to a grouper sandwich and raising the price, because customers have complained about the additional charge for grouper."

"Grouper from two other restaurants also tested as different fish, but the puzzled owners showed us proof that left us fishing for even more answers.
The grouper sandwich we got from Dusty's Oyster Bar tested as Asian catfish. We took our results to the restaurant's manager. He showed us a box of frozen fillets labeled as grouper from Malaysia.

"I can't have this in this restaurant like that. I didn't know it was catfish. Obviously we're being deceived like a lot of the customers are," says manager Gordon Lymn.

Owner Callie Hicks says she's furious about the result.

"We were paying top dollar to our vendors for grouper, and we use very trusted, reputable, well-established vendors to ensure to our customers that those products are what we're paying for and that that's what they're receiving. So I was absolutely shocked and we immediately ceased selling of the product," says Hicks. She says she's switched to a different vendor that gives her proof the fish has been tested and confirmed as grouper.
Hicks says our fish came from a box she bought from Johnson Brothers Wholesale Meats in Panama City. Co-owner Paul Johnson says he's always bought products from reputable companies, now he says he's stopped selling grouper until he can find a vendor he can trust."

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Wasn't it about a year ago that a large fish supplier based in PC was caught counterfeiting fish to all his buyers including a lot of restaurants in SoWal?

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
:shock: , glad I never buy the grouper sandwich:D
FYI- Dusty's and Uncle Ernie's were both recently caught selling Grouper Sandwiches which contained fish, but not Grouper. See this report.

"We also ordered a "catch of the day" sandwich from Uncle Ernie's and asked for grouper specifically. Our receipt shows we paid two dollars extra for the upgrade, but the DNA of the fish showed it was Nile perch.

Sean Lyon, co-owner of Uncle Ernie's says he spends thousands of dollars on fresh grouper every week.

"We put tilapia for sandwiches, and then we upcharge for grouper, so what possibly could've happened is somebody could've pulled the wrong sandwich down out of the window. That could be possible because we are human, and you know we took over this restaurant from our parents 2 years ago, and I pride myself on serving fresh grouper," says Lyon.

Lyon says he welcomes testing any time at the restaurant. He also says they're changing the "catch of the day" sandwich to a grouper sandwich and raising the price, because customers have complained about the additional charge for grouper."

"Grouper from two other restaurants also tested as different fish, but the puzzled owners showed us proof that left us fishing for even more answers.
The grouper sandwich we got from Dusty's Oyster Bar tested as Asian catfish. We took our results to the restaurant's manager. He showed us a box of frozen fillets labeled as grouper from Malaysia.

"I can't have this in this restaurant like that. I didn't know it was catfish. Obviously we're being deceived like a lot of the customers are," says manager Gordon Lymn.

Owner Callie Hicks says she's furious about the result.

"We were paying top dollar to our vendors for grouper, and we use very trusted, reputable, well-established vendors to ensure to our customers that those products are what we're paying for and that that's what they're receiving. So I was absolutely shocked and we immediately ceased selling of the product," says Hicks. She says she's switched to a different vendor that gives her proof the fish has been tested and confirmed as grouper.
Hicks says our fish came from a box she bought from Johnson Brothers Wholesale Meats in Panama City. Co-owner Paul Johnson says he's always bought products from reputable companies, now he says he's stopped selling grouper until he can find a vendor he can trust."

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Wasn't it about a year ago that a large fish supplier based in PC was caught counterfeiting fish to all his buyers including a lot of restaurants in SoWal?
I'm not sure as to whom that supplier sold fish, but yes, it was about a year ago. The news story, linked above was a follow up from another news story on the same issue at the end of last year. Recently, they continued hitting restaurants and discovered the same problem continues. Yes, it could be a bad distributor. I'm still amazed that a restaurant owner, chef, or manager cannot tell the difference between Tilapia, Grouper, and Asian Catfish. As the saying goes, "it ain't rocket science."

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Looks like they need to find some PC fish around there. :wave: