• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Snellsburg, GA
www.myfloridacottage.com
Saw PCB spring break mentioned in this article in TrendCentral.

From the last para of the article:

And By The Way: Panama City may become a little emptier during Spring Break season. Come October, Maxim mag will open Maxim Bungalows, a five star resort in the Dominican Republic.

I don't recall having the $$$ while in college to go to a five star resort for spring break. (Actually, I mostly remember getting part time jobs to make $$$ during spring break.)

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Saw PCB spring break mentioned in this article in TrendCentral.

From the last para of the article:

I don't recall having the $$$ while in college to go to a five star resort for spring break. (Actually, I mostly remember getting part time jobs to make $$$ during spring break.)

I'm thinking maybe they are referring to Panama City, Panama which has many five star hotels and beaches as they are on the Pacific Ocean. Here is a link from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_City

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
No, I think FBB meant PCB- I'm sure the Maxim resort will just feature more "upscale" wet t-shirt contests (as in your t-shirt needs to be designer) and the guests will be funneling martinis instead of beer.:lol:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
No, I think FBB meant PCB- I'm sure the Maxim resort will just feature more "upscale" wet t-shirt contests (as in your t-shirt needs to be designer) and the guests will be funneling martinis instead of beer.:lol:

:funn:

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Snellsburg, GA
www.myfloridacottage.com
I'm thinking maybe they are referring to Panama City, Panama which has many five star hotels and beaches as they are on the Pacific Ocean. Here is a link from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_City

You may be right, I missed the lack of Beach in the name. This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I showed up at a gate at Hartsfield in ATL onetime for a flight to Panama City Florida and noticed that everyone around me was in the Army or was Hispanic (or both) and finally realized that they were going to the 'other' Panama City, a bit further south.

Luckily I figured it out before I tried to board. :blush:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach

This exact thought goes thru my head every spring when I see those Spring Break from Aruba (or wherever) Shows on MTV.

What the hey?? Talk about setting your kids up for some false expectations.

What are they going to do when they graduate and find that once Mommy and Daddy aren't footing the bill anymore life can be a bit tougher?

Oh yeah............. -they go back for a graduate degree.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
You may be right, I missed the lack of Beach in the name. This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I showed up at a gate at Hartsfield in ATL onetime for a flight to Panama City Florida and noticed that everyone around me was in the Army or was Hispanic (or both) and finally realized that they were going to the 'other' Panama City, a bit further south.

I wouldn't know this for sure futurebeachbum. Was just a thought. But I do not know this for sure. But then again, I would not think they could afford any 5 star hotel in Panama City, Panama. And I wouldn't know if Panama City, Panama is considered a spring break destination. The parents of course would be footing the bill. Now, in PC Beach, the places are much cheaper and from what I have heard several spring breakers stay in one room, more than there are beds for of course.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
One reason Panama City Beach may be emptier is that the Bay County Commissioners just dissolved the current Tourist Development Council.

This came after TDC Executive Director Bob Warren was fired by the rest of the board in a "spontaneous" vote during a budget meeting. It was not on the meeting agenda.

Warren had wanted less emphasis placed on Spring Break. Warren had recently been told by Charlie Hilton that he needed to "pack his [expletive] bags".

Four of the TDC directors are either employed by the Hilton Corporation or have tenant businesses with the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort, a Hilton property that caters to....Spring Breakers.

The only TDC member to vote against the firing was Bay County Commissioner Mike Thomas, who later made the motion to dissolve the board he himself serves on. He deserves a medal.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

:rotfl: You are too cute FBB!

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
:eek:
One reason Panama City Beach may be emptier is that the Bay County Commissioners just dissolved the current Tourist Development Council.

This came after TDC Executive Director Bob Warren was fired by the rest of the board in a "spontaneous" vote during a budget meeting. It was not on the meeting agenda.

Warren had wanted less emphasis placed on Spring Break. Warren had recently been told by Charlie Hilton that he needed to "pack his [expletive] bags".

Four of the TDC directors are either employed by the Hilton Corporation or have tenant businesses with the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort, a Hilton property that caters to....Spring Breakers.

The only TDC member to vote against the firing was Bay County Commissioner Mike Thomas, who later made the motion to dissolve the board he himself serves on. He deserves a medal.

:eek: Shocking.