• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Just received an email from the Panama City Beach visitors and convention bureau. The Fort Walton Beach airport will be closed by 2010 with or without a new airport. This is coming from the US Airforce.

So should that new airport be stopped?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Been saying that for a while, but no one wanted to listen. Everyone keeps questioning why VPS is spending money on remodeling. I understood the date for closure of VPS to be only after the completion of the new limited access road, running parallel to hwy 20, from Niceville to hwy 331.

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
Crap! I love that airport!

Is the PCB airport even supposed to be finished by then?

I love that Airport, too.... I am there very other week...Didn't they just rebuild the entire airport 3 yerars ago..whew what a waste! Will the military base there take it over?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
How?

You'd think a plane going into or out of an airforce base and full of military or ex-military passengers wouldn't be a good target. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Actually, from a suicide terrorist's perspective, they'd make great targets. Eglin AFB is full of top secret stuff, and they have more below ground than they do above ground. 9/11 changed security everywhere and not renewing VPS's lease, will help stiffen security at Eglin.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I know Eglin is a great target, I'm just saying that if I was going to hijack a plane it wouldn't be a small regional plane full of people w/ big shoulders and short haircuts.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I understand that you are saying the terrorists wouldn't likely succeed by going up against trained professionals. However, successful targeting of the US military would be a major slap in the face of America, so it is easy for me to understand why, if given a choice, the AF would want to try and limit access onto Eglin's property. If you ever get to feeling frisky, try to drive down one of the Eglin driveway's off of hwy 20 or 331. Those people don't play. Expect a long stay if you try it.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Just received an email from the Panama City Beach visitors and convention bureau. The Fort Walton Beach airport will be closed by 2010 with or without a new airport. This is coming from the US Airforce.

So should that new airport be stopped?

Copy and paste the e-mail you received.