• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
As with all laws, it is the enforcement of said laws. If those tasked with enforcement are unable to do so, for whatever reason, it is one more law on the books.

SUP Boarder

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2019
Seacrest
Agree. You would think that some things are to be "self-enforced". Although, I witnessed a mom allowing her young kids to play in "double-red flag" surf a couple of weeks ago. She told them to get out only b/c the PCB Sheriff was patrolling by. Really!?! Get out b/c the sheriff is coming; not b/c it's unsafe!?! #poorjudgement

We may need an ordinance that says...no hunting in Deer Lake State Park!!! Because you never know!

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
As with all laws, it is the enforcement of said laws. If those tasked with enforcement are unable to do so, for whatever reason, it is one more law on the books.

You are right Bob, enforcement is key. But if this ordinance makes a mom or dad give pause before letting their kids into double red flag waters, it will be a great first step in getting visitors to respect the Gulf.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
At every Public Beach Access there is a sign explaining the Flag System that people seem to ignore on a regular basis. That said, how do you believe people are going to be aware of the new fines, so they take pause before going swimming in double red. Lifeguards constantly attempt to educate visitors as to the dangers and they are ignored. I hope it works but I am not very optimistic about it.

You are right Bob, enforcement is key. But if this ordinance makes a mom or dad give pause before letting their kids into double red flag waters, it will be a great first step in getting visitors to respect the Gulf.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Looks like a good thing to me. The law makes it consistent across all the Panama City Beach, city and county, with stronger enforcement.

The ordinance gives both the Police and Fire departments authority to enforce the closed water rule.

“We’re all excited about that. It’s been a long time coming. Anything to help. The tourists coming in here, just for safety and it’s not just for tourists. It’ll help our locals here,” City Councilman, Phil Chester said.

It also adds more awareness throughout the businesses along the beach as they will be required to increase the closed water and flag system signage.

The new ordinance will operate practically identical to Bay County’s ordinance.

City Councilman Geoff McConnell said, ” Now that we have it for the entire 21 miles that we have of beach line, it’s going to be a nice seamless transition for both the police department and the sheriff’s office and it also gives us an added ability for the fire department to give civil penalties.”

If a member of fire rescue enforces the law, after a warning, the second offense will result in a $250 dollar fine and the third is $500 dollars.

While it exempt surfers, Councilman Paul Casto says he is still pushing for a flotation device to be made available.

“We’re hoping to add two of the type 4 Coast Guard approved flotation devices that will be stationed at each commercial hut down on the white sandy beach,” Casto said.

Alisha Redmon, who lost her husband in a drowning while he was trying to save others, says she too wants the addition of the resources.

“I’m not a strong swimmer. I need that. I need that security. You told me not to do a human chain because you’re only as strong as your weakest link, then give me something to work with,” Redmon said.

Casto said, “It’s been proven that people are going to go into the water to try and rescue people so the more flotation devices we have readily available on the beach, the more chances we will have of helping people.”

The council agreed to discuss this topic more and possibly amend the ordinance at a later date.

The police and fire department can now start to fine and arrest people who disregard the rules during double red flags.

The businesses, however, will have until next season before the ordinance effects them.

The PCB City Council is also hosting a Beach Safety Public Workshop on Tuesday, August 13 at 1:00 p.m. inside the Lyndell Conference Center. The Bay County Commission and TDC are also apart of the event.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
At every Public Beach Access there is a sign explaining the Flag System that people seem to ignore on a regular basis. That said, how do you believe people are going to be aware of the new fines, so they take pause before going swimming in double red. Lifeguards constantly attempt to educate visitors as to the dangers and they are ignored. I hope it works but I am not very optimistic about it.

I'm not optimistic either Bob. The greatest advantage of the ordinance is that it gives the responders/officers SOMETHING to discourage those that insist on going in. It has to be frustrating for them as it has been.

But, two ideas:

1. Add a third flag under the two double reds. Red flag with the words "$500 FINE" in the largest print possible. That's all that's needed. Most people will understand what it means, and then there's the folks who ask "what does the $500 Fine about?", whereby a lifeguard, resident, etc. can explain it. For the "rules don't apply to me, I AM on vacation" folks, you can string barbed wire along the water's edge under double reds and they will go in. I vote we make Tshirts for them with the words "Future Floater".

2. Walton County pass a similar ordinance.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Walton already has an ordinance I believe. I do not know what the fine is but it seems Jason Aldean was stroked a ticket that cost him $100, if the news can be believed.
I'm not optimistic either Bob. The greatest advantage of the ordinance is that it gives the responders/officers SOMETHING to discourage those that insist on going in. It has to be frustrating for them as it has been.

But, two ideas:

1. Add a third flag under the two double reds. Red flag with the words "$500 FINE" in the largest print possible. That's all that's needed. Most people will understand what it means, and then there's the folks who ask "what does the $500 Fine about?", whereby a lifeguard, resident, etc. can explain it. For the "rules don't apply to me, I AM on vacation" folks, you can string barbed wire along the water's edge under double reds and they will go in. I vote we make Tshirts for them with the words "Future Floater".

2. Walton County pass a similar ordinance.