Pekes for Sale on 98

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by rolling dune, Jul 1, 2009.

1. rolling dune

rolling dune Beach Lover

Well, this just got me. Driving home from Destin today, I almost ran off the road! About 6:30 there was a girl in a truck with a sign advertising pekes for sale. She was holding one "very lovingly", I might add. She was between Sandestin and 30-A. I don't know if it is just me, but I cringed when I saw this situation. Who adopts out a dog to a complete passer-by???? I will do a drive-by tomorrow and offer to take them to a safe place if she will let me. I am not condeming her in any way, but surely I can find them a better home.

2. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

If she's trying to sell them, I don't think she'll be agreeable to letting you "take" them to find them a better home.

I'm betting she's in need of cash and attempting to raise some money any way she can. Not that I think it's right--but it just doesn't surprise me that we'll see more of this sort of thing as we continue into this recession.

3. Sarah Moss

Sarah Moss Beach Lover

I have seen the same thing on 331 just North of Owl's Head and it bothered me too. I've seen them there on at least a few weekends in June and they list about 3 different toy breeds on their sign. Very sad.

:angry:

4. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

I know that there is a county ordinance against this type of activity in Okaloosa, you can't even sell animals at Wal~Mart. Maybe you should contact them.

5. SneakyPete

SneakyPete Beach Lover

Geesh...when will people learn that just because they have an animal with reproductive parts doen't mean they need to become "breeders?"

There are laws in place prohibiting such things, but good luck contacting anyone from animal control to clamp down. There are tons of ads in the paper that could yield definite citations, and yet they don't go after them. Okaloosa county contracts through PAWS (which is not a county agency and not subject to county oversight), yet they call themselves a "humane society" which means they get slammed with owner drop-offs -- which wouldn't happen to an organization that billed itself as an animal control facility. They need to figure out which one they are and go with it. As it is, they aren't effective as either.