• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I posted on Facebook that the first thing I saw when approaching the beach in Seacrest were two red flags. One with a drawing of a swimmer with a line through it. Pretty clear, right? Well the second thing I saw on my way down there were 5 kids playing in the rough surf in chest deep water. I would not confront parents since I have done that before only to have my head chewed off. Not my job anyway so I mind my own business. When I returned to the same spot where I started my walk I saw more kids in the surf with several adults. And, that was right in front of a flag pole!!! So if tragedy strikes we get a bad rap because we don't have enough lifeguards. Where in the hell is the beach patrol! They could have made a fortune handing out tickets. One man is still in very serious condition from swimming yesterday at Miramar Beach. What will it take?????

sharkstooth

Beach Lover
May 24, 2011
As a local, if you are on the beach and you see children in the surf...I could never walk away. Be cool, let them know how dangerous the conditions are. Lots of kids like the rough water! It is fun to ride the waves...and there parents may not know about the rip tide.
I would never walk away. Spread the word, keep them safe!

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
10 years ago ....Black Sunday and the reason for the flag system.
The following are those who drowned on June 8, 2003, or as a result of injuries in the water.
WaltonCounty:

• Marietta Yakstis, 62, of Illinois, at Eastern Lake
  • David Che-Hsien Huang, 40, of Houston, at Dune Allen
  • Curtis Corhan, 53, of Bunker Creek, at Blue Mountain Beach
  • Larry LaMotte, 60, of Atlanta, at Grayton Beach
  • Ken Brindley, 36, of Conway, Ark., at Grayton Beach; trying to save LaMotte
  • Bob Heymeyer, 53, St. Louis, Mo., near Capt. Dave's restaurant
  • Shalyn Cuadrado, 32, of Metairie, La., along Old 98

Last edited:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I was on the beach Black Sunday so I know. I saw the sheriff's dept. in vehicles at the waters edge with bullhorns yelling to people to get out of the water immediately. And then you know what happened? I saw them go right back in the water after the vehicle passed by. Oh every one knew, like people know about our flag system. I was on the beach in Seacrest at that very time on Sunday and couldn't believe my eyes!!!!!!! And I am tired of being harassed when I approach someone out of concern. I had a lady scream in my face that she was the child's mother and she should be the one to decide if her child could swim in the Gulf or not. She knew about the flag system also. So sorry sharkstooth, for my own safety I just keep walking. There were enough adults close by that they didn't need my interference. They were also right in front of the flags and even if they didn't know which is a crazy thought, they saw the picture on that second flag! I rest my case.