• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
Our black lab Ace has been having seizures for a couple of years now. He was tested for being hypo thyroid and now takes thyroid meds plus Phenobarbital. He has had cluster seizures (5 within a 24 hr period) a few times--scary!!
Then we had him tested for allergies and found that he is allergic to just about all foods, trees, , mold, even human dander. So we changed his food and all treats so that they do not contain any of the known foods that he is allergic to--we now feed him Canidae chicken and Rice formula. Getting overheated can also trigger his seizures. We are back to about one seizure a month, but they are grand mal now and he loses control of his bladder each time. The vet says that if his thyroid is regulated and we watch the foods he gets--which means he can't have any people food when he goes to Modica at Seaside during his morning walks, then we should be able to control the frequency of the seizures. He went for about 2 1/2 months without one until he ate a bit of a bagel some little boy gave him in Seaside. There are lots of websites about dogs and seizures--just google it. It helps to read what other people say works for their seiaure prone pets.

ksyoshikawa

Beach Comber
Nov 12, 2009
Do not despair! My sisters beloved dog had occasional seizures and eventually had to be put on medication that has put an end to them. It is scary to watch but as you now know is more frequent in dogs than you may have thought.

Do not despair! My sisters beloved dog had occasional seizures and eventually had to be put on medication that has put an end to them. It is scary to watch but as you now know is more frequent in dogs than you may have thought.
Thanks. I had no idea that seizures were so common in dogs. We lost our last dog, our beloved Weimaraner Winnie, due to seizures. But those that turned out to be endocarditis from a heart infection from a tooth infection, and the blood clots from the heart caused seizures. Auburn tried to save her life, but with endocarditis, once an infection gets into your heart, no matter how many IV antibiotics are applied, it's hard to cure it.

So that's why I get Pepper's teeth professionally cleaned every six months. Now she had a seizure for some other reason, not a tooth infection. Just can't win.

I contacted the woman who runs the standard poodle toe cancer registry. (Pepper had a suspected toe cancer, and this woman helped me get Pepper properly diagnosed and treated). She keeps track of all diseases that are common among standard poodles and has contacted a professor at FSU who is doing research on standard poodles and epilepsy. The FSU prof has developed a protocol for properly diagnosing epilepsy and is going to email it to me. It makes me feel better that an expert is on Pepper's team.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Here's hoping you get some good news tomorrow! She is in good hands.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Prayers for both of you, I would not completely shave her, as she could sunburn. Just get a puppy cut. If taking her to the groomers stresses her I would not advice that right now.

Hope you get good news soon.