• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
SHELLY

It would behoove you to take the blinders off. Maybe a foreigner would see our beaches and the natural beauty of our country, realize that America is the safest place for property owners, and feel like this is not only a bargain in August 2007 exchange rates but that this is a pretty cool place to have a home. IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT MONEY BUT QUALITY OF LIFE. At this time it is a great opty for a foreigner to buy a vacation getaway place in America.
It is analogous to an American traveling to Paris when the exchange rate of the dollar to the Euro is advantageous ( very strong dollar )and prices in Paris are at low levels. I think many Americans would pounce on that situation. Perhaps that circumstance may come some day. Never say never. But the point is, Shelly, it is not all about investment. If one can AFFORD it and the opty is there, then one should act and enjoy life, whether one is European, Asian, American or Martian.

Doom and gloom Shelly:

Show her some good news and she says its a fairytale. If you ask me she is living in her own depressed world. Shelly: we shall see, we shall see.

Love the area and others will love it too.

Seagrove Lover:D

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Article published in the British Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=458067&in_page_id=1770

I've got several European friends and although they enjoy their visits to Florida, they would not live here full-time....ever. One even asked me about purchasing a pre-construction condo for visits/investment when he was here in 2005:shock: ...he still thanks me for talking him out of it whenever we chat (and he owes me several nice dinners and a bunch of drinks when I travel to Europe next spring).

I can tell from the rah-rah Real Estate (albeit dwindling) articles we've still got some time to go before Florida bottoms out.

Gloom & doom?....from my standpoint it is just "sticking a fork in it to see if it is done." Apparently the RE bulls are still mooing--so it's not quite done just yet.

<Oh yeah...the disclaimer: JMO>

Last edited:

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
SHELLY said:
"I've got several European friends and although they enjoy their visits to Florida, they would not live here full-time....ever. "

from The British Daily Mail:
"Many bought apartments off-plan, hoping to sell them on at a huge profit as soon as they were built. However, they have been left with property they can't sell - even for less than the original price - because of rising interest rates and a glut of condominiums for sale."

Shell,
I know you think condos in general are a blight on the fair skin of SoWal, but I heartily disagree.

I live here, in a condo, full time....and let me tell ya, its a hellva lot better than living in London, or anywhere in the UK, for that matter. If you have traveled there you know of what I speak..from the weather to the immigrants and declining infrastructure..and lets leave the cost of living out of it for now. Other than Spain parts of France and Portugal (where the Brits are heavily invested), I would live here anyday.

I am very happy that the "investulators" are taking it in the shorts..I have no sympathy for them..short term "daytrading" in real estate is fraught with volatility..they knew it going in and were too stupid to see the end of the top in the market.
There is no need to lump those of us who are long on condos and will hold for a decade in the same bag as "investulators" . You know the cyclic nature of all things monetary and real estate is no different. Historically real estate will return as well as index stocks (can't cite the source right now) and in my book although we may not see a repeat of 2003-2004, I remain confident that over the next decade I will do well with my condo.

Your crystal ball is made from the same material as mine is....

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
SHELLY said:
You know the cyclic nature of all things monetary and real estate is no different. Historically real estate will return as well as index stocks (can't cite the source right now) and in my book although we may not see a repeat of 2003-2004, I remain confident that over the next decade I will do well with my condo.

Historically, residential real estate returns a couple of points above inflation--meaning just shy of 6%.

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
There are 6,576 homes & condos for sale in Destin & South Walton.
Do you think the Europeans will buy that many? This looks very serious to me.
This time next year, do you think there will be more or less homes & condos for sale in Destin & South Walton? I would guess over ten thousand, hold on if you can.

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
Are you lumping in Malibu with rural Oklahoma?
The answer is a cautious yes. Between 1926 and 2006, the annual average rate of return on Real Estate was 11.1%. During the same period the rate of inflation was around 3%. So, it was obviously a better investment to buy Real Estate than to bury cash in jars in your backyard. However, the rate of return for small stocks checked in a bit higher at around 12% while the Dow Jones Industrial Average was a bit lower at 10%. These figures would suggest that Real Estate investments were right there at a par with Stock Market Investments.
http://www.realestateinvestmentarticles.net

chart_hist_ret.jpg

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005