• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
....then subtract carrying costs for holding real estate and cost of selling...

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/real_estate/0704/gallery.stocks_v_realestate.moneymag/index.html

carrying costs < 1% annualized and cost to sell 6% in the last year of holding?
Brings the rate of return over the life of the investment down ..what?..a percent?
Still good money!
But ur da man, Shel...and let everyone heed your voice of caution. I certainly have and will.

SON

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2007
Blue Mt. Beach ,FL
You so smart.
SON

SHELLY said:
"I've got several European friends and although they enjoy their visits to Florida, they would not live here full-time....ever. "

from The British Daily Mail:
"Many bought apartments off-plan, hoping to sell them on at a huge profit as soon as they were built. However, they have been left with property they can't sell - even for less than the original price - because of rising interest rates and a glut of condominiums for sale."

Shell,
I know you think condos in general are a blight on the fair skin of SoWal, but I heartily disagree.

I live here, in a condo, full time....and let me tell ya, its a hellva lot better than living in London, or anywhere in the UK, for that matter. If you have traveled there you know of what I speak..from the weather to the immigrants and declining infrastructure..and lets leave the cost of living out of it for now. Other than Spain parts of France and Portugal (where the Brits are heavily invested), I would live here anyday.

I am very happy that the "investulators" are taking it in the shorts..I have no sympathy for them..short term "daytrading" in real estate is fraught with volatility..they knew it going in and were too stupid to see the end of the top in the market.
There is no need to lump those of us who are long on condos and will hold for a decade in the same bag as "investulators" . You know the cyclic nature of all things monetary and real estate is no different. Historically real estate will return as well as index stocks (can't cite the source right now) and in my book although we may not see a repeat of 2003-2004, I remain confident that over the next decade I will do well with my condo.

Your crystal ball is made from the same material as mine is....

raven

Banned
May 14, 2007
Doom and gloom Shelly:

Show her some good news and she says its a fairytale. If you ask me she is living in her own depressed world. Shelly: we shall see, we shall see.

Love the area and others will love it too.

Seagrove Lover:D

shelly is experiencing how lonely it is to be a voice of reason.
but thanks for the rational approach to the ups and downs shelly!

sometimes the truth hurts, for most of us we'd still rather know the truth even if it's not ideal than have a pretty phony picture painted for us. thanks for sharing your experience and perspective shelly!

p.s. it's funny to hear someone comparing london to this area on this board, i wouldn't begin to do that,

but since you opened the can of worms....

having lived here and in london for a couple years each. despite how expensive london is, i can tell you cost of living is comparable here if you are employed in the economy, but the health care, amenities, education, restaurants and cultural offerings are better in london. there are more varied opportunities for business and career as well.

housing is a little more expensive there, but they also have fantastic trasportation and i happily lived without a car in london. not possible here. so i feel that those two things even each other out.

i'm not sure what you meant by "immigrants" but in the uk, immigrants are legalized and have opportunity, whilst here they are illegal and employed as slaves by local businesses and live in deplorable conditions not even speaking english. that does not make for a safe or civil community. i venture to say the class system here is just as bad as england, but the immigrants and the community certainly have it better there as immigration laws are enforced.

london also has plenty of public outdoor spaces..they have loads of parks and a few hours drive out the beach or lakes, but our beach is definitely waaaay better!

simply to have visited somewhere else doesn't really give one a good idea of what it's like to live somehwere. our visits here are very different than our experience of living here for instance.

in other words, having many foreign friends and family, few of them would see the benefit of investing in this area, at least quite yet until it's up to speed. most who have done or are considering it, will do so in areas that offer excellent economic opportunities, easy and affordable travel from europe and world class health care. often, those places are more urban.

if they want a beach, they just go to a resort hotel on holiday.

Last edited:

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
shelly is experiencing how lonely it is to be a voice of reason.
but thanks for the rational approach to the ups and downs shelly!

sometimes the truth hurts, for most of us we'd still rather know the truth even if it's not ideal than have a pretty phony picture painted for us. thanks for sharing your experience and perspective shelly!

p.s. it's funny to hear someone comparing london to this area on this board, i wouldn't begin to do that,

but since you opened the can of worms....

having lived here and in london for a couple years each. despite how expensive london is, i can tell you cost of living is comparable here if you are employed in the economy, but the health care, amenities, education, restaurants and cultural offerings are better in london. there are more varied opportunities for business and career as well.

housing is a little more expensive there, but they also have fantastic trasportation and i happily lived without a car in london. not possible here. so i feel that those two things even each other out.

i'm not sure what you meant by "immigrants" but in the uk, immigrants are legalized and have opportunity, whilst here they are illegal and employed as slaves by local businesses and live in deplorable conditions not even speaking english. that does not make for a safe or civil community. i venture to say the class system here is just as bad as england, but the immigrants and the community certainly have it better there as immigration laws are enforced.

london also has plenty of public outdoor spaces..they have loads of parks and a few hours drive out the beach or lakes, but our beach is definitely waaaay better!

simply to have visited somewhere else doesn't really give one a good idea of what it's like to live somehwere. our visits here are very different than our experience of living here for instance.

in other words, having many foreign friends and family, few of them would see the benefit of investing in this area, at least quite yet until it's up to speed. most who have done or are considering it, will do so in areas that offer excellent economic opportunities, easy and affordable travel from europe and world class health care. often, those places are more urban.

if they want a beach, they just go to a resort hotel on holiday.

Agreed with what you say - and comparing London to Sowal is in many ways bizarre - they are 2 completely different places and offer a different way of life - simplistic statement I know but true!

I still believe that we are years and years from seeing significant number of foreigners here - airport or no airport!

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
SHELLY

It is analogous to an American traveling to Paris when the exchange rate of the dollar to the Euro is advantageous ( very strong dollar )and prices in Paris are at low levels. I think many Americans would pounce on that situation. Perhaps that circumstance may come some day. Never say never. But the point is, Shelly, it is not all about investment. If one can AFFORD it and the opty is there, then one should act and enjoy life, whether one is European, Asian, American or Martian.

Except that now the Euro is much stronger than the dollar and it totally SUCKS going to Europe now because the exchange rate is so bad - good for them though as their money stretches far here - whether or not that translates into them buying RE, I have no idea!!

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
quote the raven:
"but since you opened the can of worms....

i'm not sure what you meant by "immigrants" but in the uk, immigrants are legalized and have opportunity, whilst here they are illegal and employed as slaves by local businesses and live in deplorable conditions not even speaking english. that does not make for a safe or civil community. i venture to say the class system here is just as bad as england, but the immigrants and the community certainly have it better there as immigration laws are enforced."

I too lived in London (Dartford..just south of London) and housing in London is way more expensive. Not sure where you lived, but decent housing cost me many $$.
I never compared London with Sowal. Only said I would live here over London because I found it over crowed and racist. The transportation system was always overloaded, the tube was not the most pleasant..smokers abound on the train. The people were on the rude side..I am asian and was quite aware of the way immigrants are and were treated in the UK.
There was and is a festering immigrant problem in London and the UK in general. If you think they are all there legally then you are simply not in touch. There are many many illegal asian immigrants who form a underclass, that are despised by the white majority. Those that are discriminated against, in my experience, were educated professionals..not the Hispanic gardener variety found here.
Yes London is a large metropolitant city rich in culture and Architecture ..but not my cup of tea..thats all, carry on.

I believe Shelly is very smart alot of the time, but.....she is not really seing this place for what it will become very shortly. I believe prices will grow exponentially as the area is on course to be an oasis on the beach in the high rise jungle on the beach (which will still be nice and purchased by many.)

I really don't understand why she and some others can't see the long-term potential. I plan to retire here and think many will also. Want my piece before it can't be afforded.

This short-term correction after significant run up of 50% increases for 2 years in 2004 and early 2005 is perfectly understandable.

Also, I can leverage 10-20% down into very expensive property. Can't do that in stocks or much else.
We will see.:popcorn:

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
I believe Shelly is very smart alot of the time, but.....she is not really seing this place for what it will become very shortly. I believe prices will grow exponentially as the area is on course to be an oasis on the beach in the high rise jungle on the beach (which will still be nice and purchased by many.)

I really don't understand why she and some others can't see the long-term potential. I plan to retire here and think many will also. Want my piece before it can't be afforded.

This short-term correction after significant run up of 50% increases for 2 years in 2004 and early 2005 is perfectly understandable.

Also, I can leverage 10-20% down into very expensive property. Can't do that in stocks or much else.
The "she" pronoun in reference to Shelly jars me.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
....she is not really seing this place for what it will become very shortly.

I believe prices will grow exponentially as the area is on course to be an oasis on the beach in the high rise jungle on the beach (which will still be nice and purchased by many.)

I really don't understand why she and some others can't see the long-term potential.

Can you quantify the areas above in bold?