Petition to Ban Confederate Flag from Walton County Courthouse

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Beauford, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I have learned so much from all the viewpoints here that I am now much more open to all of them. I do not regard anyone a racist if they do not agree with my viewpoint - and I never would because I would then have to make that judgment on my own friends and family, and also on people I've never even met. All of you are good people. My viewpoint is my own. It is not a judgment on others.

2. Teresa

What say you. Lol.

3. Teresa

New debate!

ForumRunner_20150630_202548.jpg

4. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
    My ancestors have fought on both sides of this issue. The younger generation..starting with me, just stopped putting that sheet up.

5. Teresa

OK.. Fair enough.

6. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

My ancestors fought on one side of this issue. To my knowledge they thought sheets were for sleeping on :) Seriously, I grew up in a small town not too far from here. Yes, it was predominately white conservative but to my knowledge we as a community strongly rejected the KKK even though there "seemed" to be a rival organization called the Black Panthers that we probably feared for no other reason except that the government and media told us to. I never saw inherent racism in my community. During desegregation I personally witnessed blacks gang up on white boys and beat the snot out of them. Our little high school called an assembly and had leaders of our sports teams both black and white get on stage and show unity (I was one of those leaders). I would not say it was smooth but by my senior year some of my best friends were black. I later attended Florida A & M School of Pharmacy and had an amazing experience with an all black administration and excellent professors. During high school and college I read a lot about the Civil War and it's causes. Wrote school papers on the subject and learned a lot. One of the motivating factors was because it seemed our text books was very one sided and I had to find out. The more I read about the confederate soldier the more I seemed to relate. Hard working, family oriented and extremely loyal and yet one of the bravest groups of soldier I read about was a small bunch of Northern soldiers from Maine. During the battle of Gettysburg this small group of soldiers kept coming and coming and coming and finally broke through which turned out to be the beginning of the end of the war. So, the point is that we all have a history whether you are from the North or South or East or West. It would be nice if humans could stop symbolizing and stereotyping and profiling and judging others. Yes there are problems with racism in the South, North, East and West. We have plenty of work to do right here in the South but if we only blame the South it will not solve this problem. It may even make it worse because it evokes and "us against them" mentality. How do we change this? We just do with ever word that comes out of our mouth or word that we type.

7. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

I have an idea mptunal. Try living for the moment.

8. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

PS. If sensitivity is one of the issues and the confederate flag is removed because of this sensitivity lets be sensitive all the way around. I as one Southerner is really tired of all the blaming for racism.

9. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

I had no expectations of changing your mind about me or anyone who has Southern Pride. You just simply are not able to see two sides of anything. In my little book you are the one going backwards in society as for as your abilities to communicate with people who disagree with you.

10. poppy

poppy Banned

Denial is the first step in the cycle of acceptance.

11. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

I accept your opinion. What do you believe I am denying?

12. poppy

poppy Banned

Maybe you could change it by purchasing some extra flags and send them to your black college buddies at Christmas to remind them of their role in your Southern Heritage quest. I bet they would love that.

13. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Are you just guessing about that or do you know any black people?

14. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

Classic case of projection. You simply can't tolerate the fact that anyone would disagree with you.

15. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

It's been a long time since I posted here and ya'll are probably thinking, who cares what that damn Yankee thinks. I have had a home in Sowal for 12 years and now many Sowalers are close friends. I have come to love the Southern “culture”, for lack of a better word. To me, that's sitting on the porch with y'all having a sweet tea, grits, hospitality , “yes, ma'am, no, ma'am” and a politeness taught by their Momma to not tell me they don't give a rat's toot what I think.

It took a while and some understanding of the Civil War (they teach it differently in NY for obvious reasons) to understand Southern Pride. To me, that is some of all y'all's relatives who may have fought in that war and in your mind, (since many do not want to acknowledge that the motivation had anything to do with slavery, to give y'all the benefit of the doubt, what I see is a pride that people rose up against the government against what they felt was oppression. So, this flag is a very powerful symbol to some. Flags are, and most Southerners I know, more so than Northerners, join our military and will fight to the death to protect our Country and flag.

So, I truly do not understand that if those who cite Southern pride and the oppression they fought against, do not understand how to some, especially African Americans, how that flag could be oppressive to them and a constant reminder of that time in our history and more so, the aftermath of inequality in this Country. It's the opposite of what people feel who immigrated to this Country at Ellis Island and saw the American flag for the first time. No, they didn't arrive in NY and see a Union Flag flying next to the flag of the US of A. I don't think I have ever seen one, either.

I see no problem with displaying it pridefully at a Confederate Memorial or in a museum. But, to display it and hoist it without regard outside of public government office buildings, where State and Federal business is transacted and no longer embodies our ideals, seems counterproductive to being a Union.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  16. Chief Deputy TC

Chief Deputy TC Beach Comber

Context

To add some historical context to your very spirited debate, it might matter that the flag was not part of the original monument display.

In fact, it was added by vote of the sitting Board of County Commissioners in April 1964. This was shortly after the House approved the Civil rights act, which was ultimately approved by the Senate and signed into law in July 1964. (Source: Archives of the DeFuniak Springs Herald, April 12, 1964, Front page.

Hope this adds some value to your discussion.

Cory Godwin

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  17. Misty

Misty Banned

The US flag which represents "freedom" flew over a slave nation for 85 years so in reality, this "debate" is all about hypocrisy!

18. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

I believe I have agreed with you on several issues and disagreed with you on others. You have very strong opinions and you choose to support them with sarcasms and other negative communication. You do not have to. You have good points. What I meant by going backwards is the way you communicate. It creates divisiveness. I admit that it is hard to tolerate people like you but I will keep trying.

19. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Yes there is a lot of hypocrisy within us humans. Some people are able to live and let live with those hypocrisies and some demand you to be all or nothing. We are being told that we must give up our heritage or become something less.

20. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Good Luck!!!