• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
There are people in this forum who have little respect for anything but their own thoughts and opinions. I feel sadness for these people.

There's no place like a holier than thou place. :roll:

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Every social platform is filled with opinions today. I think the discussion is worthy. I do learn much from reading and listening to every viewpoint. We each come from a different experience and we all have opinions based on those experiences... that make us who we are. Those opinions matter. Every single one.
there are three here who would disagree with you, ONLY THEIR opinions matter and are correct. They all where obviously raised in a barn, since there always hollering over everyone else's opinions which are all wrong for the last 5 years.....don't we all wish we where that smart?? NO

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Resist stooping to the level of your opposition lest you get covered in dung also.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
there are three here who would disagree with you, ONLY THEIR opinions matter and are correct. They all where obviously raised in a barn, since there always hollering over everyone else's opinions which are all wrong for the last 5 years.....don't we all wish we where that smart?? NO

Well, some people are sure to behave in such a way that their opinions are automatically rejected or ignored. That's their problem.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
https://www.change.org/p/walton-cou...derate-flag-from-the-walton-county-courthouse

View attachment 41236

We need your help to remove the Walton County Courthouse's Confederate Flag. For a third time since 2002, we are petitioning Walton County Commissioners and concerned citizens plan to attend an upcoming July meeting (date TBD) with this petition showing the support of those near and far who request whole-heartedly this flag be removed from government property.

Why removed the Confederate Flag from the front of the Walton County Courthouse? Why now?

Symbols of hate have no place in our government property, especially the Courthouse, a place for justice for all

The Confederate flag is not a symbol of southern pride but rather a symbol of rebellion and racism.

On the heels of the brutal killing of nine African-American people in a South Carolina church by a racist terrorist, it's time to put that symbol of rebellion and racism behind us and move toward healing and a better United States of America starting with our local community.

Take the Confederate flag down and show love and respect of all. Place it in a museum and never forget it's historic significance and all it stands for. Show true Southern pride in ourselves and our community by flying the American Flag, the flag of unity, freedom and justice for all, over the Civil War Memorial on our Walton County Courthouse lawn.

Questions? Contact Michelle Uhlfelder at michuhlfelder@me.com.

Signed! You don't have to sign. But some of us do. I've never liked seeing this flag flying publicly and I never understood why it was still flying in my South. It does not represent Southern pride in my life in the least. I'm sorry it's come to represent racism and bigotry but it has, thanks to KKK, southern governers over the years using it as a middle finger to the world, and the like. When I see it flying publicly, it hurts ME on behalf of a lot of great people who have to also see it and bear it. It's a small step - taking it down. But it matters.

Please feel free to fly it high in your front yard. Put it on your car and by all means get some bed sheets. That is what free speech is all about. I'm all for it.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I am not a Southerner. I was born in the West and have always considered myself a Westerner. I was raised in an intregated school system, though admittedly, except for sports there was little socializing between the races. Nevertheless we all got along. I understand why some wish to fly the Confederate flag. In my mind, not being a supporter of either side regarding the Civil war, I see it has a way to honor the fallen soldiers who died defending what they believed in, faulty though it may have been. It amazes me that the flag was never a strong issue until the horrendous killings recently in Charleston SC. The only flag we should care about being flown is one with a blue backround including white stars in the upper left hand corner and 13 red and white stripes projecting from it. The American Flag is under attack by the likes of Lewis Farrahkhan who says it should be eliminated. Nothing could be further from the truth. If Farrakhan and his followers don't believe in the American way, let them take their beliefs and move to another country not as great as ours.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I am not a Southerner. I was born in the West and have always considered myself a Westerner. I was raised in an intregated school system, though admittedly, except for sports there was little socializing between the races. Nevertheless we all got along. I understand why some wish to fly the Confederate flag. In my mind, not being a supporter of either side regarding the Civil war, I see it has a way to honor the fallen soldiers who died defending what they believed in, faulty though it may have been. It amazes me that the flag was never a strong issue until the horrendous killings recently in Charleston SC. The only flag we should care about being flown is one with a blue backround including white stars in the upper left hand corner and 13 red and white stripes projecting from it. The American Flag is under attack by the likes of Lewis Farrahkhan who says it should be eliminated. Nothing could be further from the truth. If Farrakhan and his followers don't believe in the American way, let them take their beliefs and move to another country not as great as ours.

I am from the South and believe me when I tell you that Southerners do not know their own history. The history books were so glossed over. Families avoid all real discussion. It's a history that needs telling. And we need to listen. Our confederate memorials are part of the story. Our museums are also treasures. I'm sorry the flag has been used in such a way that it represents something it shouldn't. It's a painful reminder to many who know what it stands for.

People say the flag represents their Southern Pride. No. Southern Pride is about our beautiful traditions, wonderful people, the good life in our communities beyond the confederate flag.