• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Alabama took down their flag for economic reasons. They needed to attract Mercedes Benz and other big business. And they did.

I just read on fb that FedEx is having concerns about Walton County.

If it takes business motivation to remove the flag, rather than people caring for their own people, then that's sad but it works.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Alabama took down their flag for economic reasons. They needed to attract Mercedes Benz and other big business. And they did. I just read on fb that FedEx is having concerns about Walton County. If it takes business motivation to remove the flag, rather than people caring for their own people, then that's sad but it works.
Exactly! That's why I keep asking what is the upside of keeping it and no one can provide a good answer because there is no good answer.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Someone mentioned native American Indians. Do you anti-confederate flag people also believe that the South is the reason we mass killed and destroyed and entire culture? What flag can we burn to solve this problem with our history?

I have heard that some folks believed that was "Manifest Destiny".

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Someone mentioned native American Indians. Do you anti-confederate flag people also believe that the South is the reason we mass killed and destroyed and entire culture? What flag can we burn to solve this problem with our history?

In that case, I think we have to burn the Bible.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Poppy, there is an upside for people to have traditions and heritage. You and many others are connecting the wrong dots to why this shooting happened. You and many others are trying very hard to blame most if not all racism and bigotry on Southern Heritage. I now believe that you and many others really believe that to be true. I know there are history books, movies and racial events that may have helped you form that opinion. Yes, slavery was wrong. Yes racism and bigotry are wrong. I do understand why you connected the dots I just do not understand what it is you fear from Southern Heritage. The South lost that war. The South has maintained a heritage. That heritage is not what caused that young boy to kill those people. I wonder if Jdarg believes that all those poor people flying the confederate flags somehow have sympathy toward the killer? Would you prefer to just eliminate the entire southern culture like we did the native American Indian? Is removing the flag enough for you?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Poppy, there is an upside for people to have traditions and heritage. You and many others are connecting the wrong dots to why this shooting happened. You and many others are trying very hard to blame most if not all racism and bigotry on Southern Heritage. I now believe that you and many others really believe that to be true. I know there are history books, movies and racial events that may have helped you form that opinion. Yes, slavery was wrong. Yes racism and bigotry are wrong. I do understand why you connected the dots I just do not understand what it is you fear from Southern Heritage. The South lost that war. The South has maintained a heritage. That heritage is not what caused that young boy to kill those people. I wonder if Jdarg believes that all those poor people flying the confederate flags somehow have sympathy toward the killer? Would you prefer to just eliminate the entire southern culture like we did the native American Indian? Is removing the flag enough for you?
Most Southerners know that our culture isn't wrapped in the Confederate flag, it's sad you don't. You have jumped the shark on this subject.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Poppy, all I am saying is that many of you are quick to come to the conclusion that the confederate flag and Southern Tradition in general is what motivated that boy to kill these people. Maybe you did not read all my post but I also agree that the flag should come down after finding out just how many people out there believe that the South is the root of all racism. I am not able to convince one person that you are barking up the wrong tree. Our society has no room for Southern Traditions like the confederate flag. However there is inherent danger of these mass shootings happening over and over because you are missing the opportunity to have discussions about other things like mental health and gun safety.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I don't think anyone said the flag or southern tradition motivated Roof? The flag being a symbol of his hate, like it is used by the majority of people who fly it, made its removal to a museum a national conversation. But nobody is saying it "made" him do it. There are right and wrong sides of history. And history changes and evolves with the years- how we view it and feel about it, the lessons we learn from it, our part in it. Staying "stuck" benefits no one.

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Please explain who you feel is "stuck". Is it people who would like to fly the confederate flag as a memorial like Walton County? Is it those poor people you saw flying the flag? Why do you believe that Southern Traditions like the flag are "stuck"? Why is there not more conversation outside the whole confederate flag discussion? Do you feel like Southern Traditions are on the wrong side of something? If so just say it. What are you saying about that shooting? We all are saddened by it and want answers but we are not asking the right questions.