Petition to Ban Confederate Flag from Walton County Courthouse

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Beauford, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

If there were a slavery flag flying over Grant's tomb, I might be concerned.

2. slow

slow Beach Crab

Yes. White supremacy was the norm then across the whole US, even in the north. That's not what we're discussing.

The flag was created as a symbol of a group with clearly-stated white supremacist ideals (see below), and flying it today at a courthouse is a constant reminder to many that some folks here still support those ideals.

Again, the founders of the confederacy meant to leave nothing for interpretation:

“Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.” - The “Corner Stone” Speech

Neither side was perfect in these times. But symbols of oppression still matter.

The least we can do is say we no longer support what this symbol stands for, and by flying it on our courthouse grounds, we're doing the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  3. Leader of the Banned

I'd sure like to see the bizzaro universe in which the South had won, we embrace Confederate ideals, and everything is so much better.

4. poppy

poppy Banned

Who said the war is over? Happy Camper is still fighting the fight.

5. Leader of the Banned

He's like those Japanese guys from WWII holed up on a Pacific island in 1953.

6. Leader of the Banned

7. seal

seal Beach Lover

No, I'm trying to present actual history. Sorry it conflicts with you attempted revision.

8. seal

seal Beach Lover

This is from one of the largest rallys to ever visit Washington D.C.; the KKK rally in 1925. Notice which flags they are flying and the absence of any Confederate flags. Will you start a petition to remove that flag from the courthouse? :)
    [​IMG]

9. poppy

poppy Banned

You're starting to embarrass yourself. The only revision here is the bubble you're living in. If you want to fly the flag fly it, you are still free to do so.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  10. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

THere are so many things that were/are wrong with the instance that started this (the removal of an historical item because of some maniac ) that I cant believe there are people that think the removal of the confederate flag will change anything..OMG... the confererate flag did not make this individual act the way he did....if we look back throughout history we can find MANY things that the stars and stripes flew above that are offensive....typical knee-jerk reaction from people that think hiding an item associated with a bad situation will make it all better.. when in fact dealing with the person responsible for it instead of giving them an "excuse" is the only thing that will truly make it better...

11. Leader of the Banned

That is a desecration of the American flag that amounts to stomping on it, peeing on it, wiping your ass with it, burning it, and then flushing it down the toilet. I will do whatever I can to remove the KKK from the courthouse. Don't you think you have it backwards? No wonder you have so much trouble making your case and you keep embarrassing yourself.

12. Misty

Misty Banned

Good! Would you also see to it that they permanently remove the Nativity Scene at Christmas time and the 10 Commandments that hang inside the Courthouse?? If you fail in that endeavor, would you please ask that a copy of the Koran, a Buddha and the Star of David be placed alongside the Nativity Scene??

Thanks for your hard work!

All this belly-aching over a flag...

13. Leader of the Banned

Yes, I would get rid of all those idiotic cartoon characters, replace them with a statue of Satan, and remove the copy of Moses 10 no-nos or whatever the f* you call it.

14. Leader of the Banned

Also, U.S. coinage would say "In God we trust, but verify"

15. Misty

Misty Banned

My point (which obviously flew right over your head) is that the flag is constitutionally protected free speech while the Nativity Scene violates Separation of Church and State. Bigger fish to fry.

16. Misty

Misty Banned

Show some respect for all religions while you're preaching to the Choir. Thanks

17. Leader of the Banned

Noone cares how an individual expresses himself. This is about government sanctioned [reprsentatative] expression. So you rattled of a few offenses relating to religion which I don't disagree with. That doesn't change a thing about the topic of this thread. Not that I have a problem indulging a tangent or two.

18. Misty

Misty Banned

To be clear, what I said was;
    Dunno how you manged to screw that quote but you sure made a mess of it.

19. Leader of the Banned

Why don't you just start a new thread about the nativity scene and I'll support you.

20. Misty

Misty Banned

Many of the historical homes on the Circle did have "slave quarters" in back of the property.