Petition to Ban Confederate Flag from Walton County Courthouse

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Beauford, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

Unfortunately Republican politicians are acting in a calculated way in an effort to get minority votes. If they think taking down a few flags from historical monuments is going to accomplish that, I have land in the swamp to sell them.

2. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Profanity is not allowed on SoWal.com.

3. poppy

poppy Banned

Or more than likely they finally realize there is zero upside to having their states associated with such a polarizing symbol that represented the worst in us.

4. Yarmap

Yarmap Beach Fanatic

Anybody want to guess witch was the largest slave owning state in the union was.........you guest it New York. But that don't count, it's not in the South. You can't harass people from NY because they speak perfect English.

5. poppy

poppy Banned

Not during the civil war, it was already a free state and since their side won I doubt they are still fighting unlike the rednecks down here.

6. kayti elliott

kayti elliott Beach Lover

I guess we won't be watching re-runs of the Dukes of Hazard anymore will we?

7. poppy

poppy Banned

Counting the asterisks I'm guessing hookers? punters? naggers? porkers? hatters? baiters? hunters? It's difficult to decipher words without all their letters.

8. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

If you want to harass New Yorkers, connect with someone from Boston, and vice versa.

9. Cuff

Cuff Beach Lover

"The South is big on heritage and history , just not our history". Clementa Pickney, slain by the gun of a confederate flag waving racist. So those of you that insist this flag is not a sign of brutality but rather merely a symbol of southern heritage perhaps there is a compromise . Let's place a statute of Nat Turner on that public ground. We don't even need a special flag for him. How about a broken whip or a noose.. A whip that he grew tired of. Or better yet let's show some grace and not put that symbol of the very worst of our country in the face of those of us that are deeply offended.

10. poppy

poppy Banned

Great idea! The likeness of Nat Turner would make a great addition to any southern public space.

11. Danny Glidewell

If someone purchases a statue of Nat Turner I would have no problem with them placing it on the grounds of the Courthouse.
    What puzzles me is why the sudden outrage. The flag has been there for decades and most people barely noticed it. Many of those so vehemently opposed to it now admit they did not even know it was there before this petition was started. The funny thing is that those who are all the sudden wanting it removed say they wish to end bigotry and racism and division. Oddly enough, if you look at social media the division and turmoil is in full swing and there will be many hard feelings going forward no matter what. All to remove a flag nobody thought about a couple of weeks ago.
    By the way, it has been said that the flag flies over our Courthouse. This is not true. It is located on the West side of the lawn beside the Confederate War Memorial. The memorial was purchased in 1871 by several ladies in Walton County as a remembrance of those who gave their life in the Civil War. It is the oldest Civil War monument in Florida. A memorial to those who died in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam is located on the East side.

12. Danny Glidewell

The low-life who shot those Christians in South Carolina went to Gold's Gym. We should close them down and ban their shirts.

[​IMG]

13. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Is any of this really going to change anyones mind or for that matter move your position from what you currently believe?

14. Leader of the Banned

If he went to Golds Gym, he certainly didn't get his dues worth.

15. Danny Glidewell

You are right on there, I think a weight must have fell on his head or something. I have a very difficult time understanding how someone could be so evil and misguided. I was a cop 26 years and saw a lot, but I still cannot understand someone like this. Just looking at him makes me want to throw up.

16. poppy

poppy Banned

What significance does a Golds Gym shirt have outside of advertising for a chain of gyms. If you're suggesting the state should fly a Golds Gym flag at the courthouse I believe it would be inappropriate. Danny if you want to fly that damn flag at your house fly it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  17. Leader of the Banned

Danny is either confused, trying to be confusing, or both.

18. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

There is no confusion, only sadness. Sadness that people can become so twisted that they kill good people. Sadness that racism and bigotry exists in our society no matter where you live in the North or South East or West. Sadness that people become so fixated on a position or opinion that we lose sight of the bigger picture. Sadness that slavery existed and was allowed at the very moments our democracy was founded creating a certain hypocrisy within our government and within our growing society. Sadness that a memorial for those that fought and died for their cause is now being destroyed.

To be a good person I believe you have to admit your mistakes or at least be aware of them. There are people in this forum who have little respect for anything but their own thoughts and opinions. I feel sadness for these people. As for myself I do not trust any type of media to get accurate information but after talking to many people I believe that society has become so reactive that there is no other choice but to remove the confederate flag from our courthouses. I am 58 years old and I have some experience in life and I do understand that things change and even if it is not always for the better. I am much more concerned about those people who refuse to see both sides of an issue as I believe it leads to destructive behaviors. I hope that taking the flag down will help heal people but the truth is that it probably won't.

19. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

Typical of what the US has become. All about symbolism and very little of substance.

20. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Every social platform is filled with opinions today. I think the discussion is worthy. I do learn much from reading and listening to every viewpoint. We each come from a different experience and we all have opinions based on those experiences... that make us who we are. Those opinions matter. Every single one.