Petition to Ban Confederate Flag from Walton County Courthouse

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Beauford, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

This isn't a North Walton issue, it is a Walton County issue. It just happens to be located in North Walton on Walton County property.

2. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Is this initative a binding referendum? I like idea of a vote. No matter what the outcome everyone had an opportunity to have a say.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

If you think the initiative to change from an elected to an appointed school superintendent was a resounding defeat, just wait until this thing is voted on. :rolling:

4. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

Walton County property that South Walton never has to visit and by their own admission many don't.

5. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Yes, the elected officials need to strap on a set and do their jobs. They are put in office to make these decisions, based on the will of the people that put them there.

6. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

Hold up John G...in all fairness, the BCC did do their job the first time this was brought before the board, with the EXCEPTION of C. Jones who ducked out on her own constituents. People (mostly in Sowal) did not like the outcome and back before the board it came.

How many times does the BCC have to recycle old issues they have already voted on because someone has their shorts in a wad over a vote?

This should have gone on the ballot the first time and this discussion wouldn't exist.

7. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

Since you have dubbed yourself the lie queen....

ballet: an artistic dance form performed to music using precise and highly formalized set steps and gestures. Classical ballet, which originated in Renaissance Italy and established its present form during the 19th century, is characterized by light, graceful, fluid movements and the use of pointe shoes.

ballot: a device used to cast votes in an election, and may be a piece of paper or a small ball used in secret voting.

Get your facts straight ok?

8. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

You are very correct about C. Jones ducking out on the last go around. Good point, not to be overlooked.

I think the BCC not voting on this is simply a way to not upset their constituents while also dodging the criticism of those looking to have it removed. Its a political move to preserve their standing (for the time being).

If the issue went to the ballot (referendum) the first go around, it would have most likely failed by a large % (let the flag remain).

That would not have solved anything as the issue would come up again, just in another forum, possibly via a civil law suit. This is just another delay in the inevitable of what's to come.

I am not for or against this issue, but I'll have to make a decision at some point, as we (voters) all will, in November. I thought the debate had at yesterday's meeting was very, very interesting and look forward to hearing more the next meeting date. I much prefer educated and well spoken people presenting factual information, like both sides did yesterday. I learned a lot, just as I did with your photos that were posted, but no longer remain...

9. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

Ironically, that backfired big time didn't it? Uhlfelders crew was livid.

10. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I believe most of that group are registered Democrats and they don't understand that if they want their vote to count in Walton County they need to register as Republicans and VOTE EM OUT! (or run a candidate that can win...).

11. Wouldnt You Like To Know

Wouldnt You Like To Know Beach Lover

I couldn't agree more.

Im sorry but I find it funny that when they do vote (especially against who ever spoke on the issue) you criticize and now that they are actually giving the people the chance to decide you critical of that too. I wonder if there is any way to please you. Not being a "troll" (Kaydence), I genuinely wonder if you can be pleased.

12. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I vote for elected officials to do what's best for the community where I live. I am "pleased" when those said individuals actually perform their jobs and make said decisions. Those decisions are then open to public comment and critique, which I often provide on this forum. I also feel the decision makers are mostly serving a higher power and have not a care in the world for my opine.

With that in mind, what is best with regards to the flag for our County, I ask you,the all seeing eye...:dunno:

13. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

You border on the ridiculous!!

I think it should have gone on the ballot the first time. so what makes you think I'm not pleased?

I'm not pleased that Cecilia Jones DOES NOT REPRESENT HER DISTRICT on this issue!!! You're right though in a sense, C. Jones doesn't impress me at all!

WORST County Commissioner ever elected in Walton County!!

14. Suzanne Harris

Suzanne Harris Beach Fanatic

I truly doubt that if someone files a law suit I doubt this will be allowed to be put on a ballot. They need to LEAD , FOLLOW or get Our of the WAY!!!! Or GET OUT OF OFFICE. You were elected to make the tough decisions.

15. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I think placing it on the ballot is the way to go. Seems that when we increased the sales tax to have garbage pick up, it was placed on the ballot. I also think it was non binding on the commissioners if I remember correctly. I just think sometime when there is such a decisive historical issue take it to a public vote. I will accept the vote whichever way it comes out.

16. Wouldnt You Like To Know

Wouldnt You Like To Know Beach Lover

To each their own John. Thanks for your opinion.

17. kayti elliott

kayti elliott Beach Lover

I can't help but wonder how long it will be before the name of the nation's capitol is changed. And while the politically correct revisionists are at it why don't we tear down all the antebellum mansions and other "symbols" of southern culture that so many of you find offensive?

18. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

What symbols have you decided we find offensive?

19. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

I'm not sure how removing a confederate flag from the county courthouse equates to renaming the nation's capitol or tearing down antebellum mansions. Removing a flag from a location that is paid for with tax dollars does not preclude flying that same flag in a privately funded location. I haven't heard anyone who supports removing the flag from the courthouse propose destroying southern culture or destroying or burying history. Why do you view it that way?

20. bob bob

bob bob Beach Fanatic

Right wing media.

• Wish I'd Said That Wish I'd Said That x 1
    • List