• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I bet they'd be shocked to know most of your customers are in SoWal.

I don't personal attacks are allowed on this site.
Jensky, Sorry I left you and Cuff out of my above message. I think if you go back and read my post I said that I fully expect to lose business because I support the Confederate Flag. I stand behind my posts and opinions with my name, location and business. Many that want to remove the flag will not give us a name or anything except some typewritten words strung together. I challenge all of us to practice equality on a DAILY basis. I believe that I can be a better human and will certainly give the effort. Please by all means take your business where you feel best.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Tomorrow is BCC meeting day in DeFuniak Springs. I cannot attend but all five Commissioners will hear from me today on three issues.

1. Leave the Confederate flag alone and if you wish to take it down, move the memorial instead. What is it that the de-flagger can't understand about it being part of a memorial to fallen soldiers? They weren't even aware of its existence until some mentally deranged nut killed 9 people in SC a few weeks ago.

2. TAKE ALL SIGNAGE OFF THE BEACHES EXCEPT THOSE REFERRING TO TURTLE NESTS AND WALKING ON THE DUNES!!! I was appalled to read the other day that the sheriff's deputies are telling homeowners to put up "private property" signs. What a disgrace! We have a scenic corridor signage ordinance. It should be extended to apply to the beaches as well. Our beaches do not need to be cluttered up with signs indicating how rich you really are.

3. Deny chair set-ups to beach chair vendors until the renters of the chairs are there. Maintain their 50% of the beach without set-ups until the people actually appear. I see them set up every day and it takes about 5 minutes to finish a set up. Station a chair/umbrella attendant at the public beach access you use. Enough making our beaches look ugly!

Just a word about "incorporation". Leave BMB out of it! We have all the facilities and support we need. I moved here from one of the best run cities in the United States but one of the reasons I moved was to get away from all the warts and blemishes of city government. My education is targeted toward city managership. If Seaside, Alys Beach, Rosemary and Miramar want to incorporate, be my guest. Leave us "rural in nature". As far as the BCC never doing anything for South Walton, you can thank them for not now looking like Destin and PCB. The 50' height limit was a stroke of genius and has been a God send.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I don't see a troll here, at least not the typical kind that I just ignore. I see emotions getting in the way of good manners, people suddenly getting angry, not caring about forum rules and etiquette. I also see lots of whining from one or two about other people who have participated in this discussion in a good way. Until now. I see people, who were once civil and friendly, trying to draw lines, put people into sides, and make a fight. I'm not interested.

I may not agree with every person's view or post. But I really do appreciate them taking the time to tell us about their own personal thoughts. And often learn something more about the overall issue. Why would anyone use these ideas, twist them, blame them for some nonsense that concocted in their head about their ideas, put words in their mouth that never existed, and then call them out by name with accusations? I don't get it. I really don't.
I think we are ALL whiners to some degree but that I believe the word complainers would be less inflammatory. We ALL are now complaining about something.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
This was a good debate with mostly thoughtful ideas until just recently, with a little harmless jabbing and sarcasm now and then. Maybe some heated discussion and misunderstandings. We learned and got a good look at many different and important perspectives.

I'm sorry people are getting angry and pointing fingers at one another, making accusations and calling names of fellow posters in this discussion. It is not necessary to do this when you can just simply state your own views. Why throw your fellow forum members under the bus, blaming them, for any reason? I don't get it.

It's time to breathe and put it all into perspective. We are better than this. We are all in this together. Walton County has a huge range of people with a big range of ideas and opinions. We can try to understand others through civil engagement. Once accusations start, wrongly interpreting views of fellow posters, then we've lost something good.

We are ALL better than this. I have learned more about myself and others in this community. People have different perspectives and we will not always agree. This discussion has exposed a nerve. African American slavery ended a long long time ago as well as the War Between the States. If healing is the agenda then let it heal.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think we are ALL whiners to some degree but that I believe the word complainers would be less inflammatory. We ALL are now complaining about something.

Being extremely divisive with unfair posts using names. Twisting their ideas. Making accusations. Trying to divide people. THAT is inflammatory.

Makes poppy look like a sweetheart.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
What I think (actually, what I know) is that there have been some pretty ugly, racist things said by people on both sides of this issue including this from the link you posted from an individual who says she is living in Amsterdam, Netherlands working at Whataburger. I would also be willing to bet the bank that similar comments were quickly taken down to deflect the appearance of impropriety on the part of those with an agenda to remove the flag. In fact, the first time I saw that site there were several like minded posters such as the one below which are now gone...morphed into cyber space.

Ironically, the exact same poster also said:

Seems she can't decide whether she is coming or going and there was only a 6 minute time difference in her first post (the one above) and the last where she called people in Walton County idiot racists and both posts were "liked" by the same individual which makes it appear that there are other "like minded", "confused" individuals out there spreading the love. I'm thankful she doesn't actually live in Walton County because I'd be embarrassed as hell for the de-flaggers if she showed up at the BCC meeting and actually voiced those same thoughts in public.

That girl seems confused, and I'm not sure where she stands. I've seen about 1 or 2 comments like that in about 100.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
That girl seems confused, and I'm not sure where she stands. I've seen about 1 or 2 comments like that in about 100.

We've seen a few people here not clear on their stance or reluctant to say, going back and forth, pontificating on the views of others, until they finally made their decision. And then become angry posters. Well, at least they found their way.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
At my age, my decision/view isn't likely to change. I support the legal process that Pride Riders used in support of their campaign to keep the monument where it is and I'm glad the youth in our Community feel as strongly or stronger about this issue as those who want to see it removed. I'm thrilled it was done with class not trash and my personal view is still that if the BCC decides it should come down, then all vestiges of Christianity should also be removed.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Being extremely divisive with unfair posts using names. Twisting their ideas. Making accusations. Trying to divide people. THAT is inflammatory. And unfortunate.

Makes poppy look like a sweetheart.
I am sure poppy is a sweetheart however the passions have brought out hard line positions. Poppy did not push me into a corner. Yes I was pontificating at first trying to reason and feel my way through the mine field of emotions on both side. You, then helped me understand that there is no middle ground on this issue and that no one cares about my opinions (reasons) so make a stand. Well, I made a stand! I made a stand for the Confederate Flag and against the hypocrisy of those wanting to remove the flag. I asked questions not out of anger but out of truth and logic. I understand that some people see the Confederate Flag as a symbol for racism and slavery. I wanted to try and find common ground to have both (respect for those people and respect for the Southern Heritage). But, you proved to me that there is no reality in common ground. Again, I am human and was pushed to make a stand. When you are standing up against poppy and the rest of the no name gang you better strap on chin straps because it is going to get tough.

Up until just recently you have been very civil and fair but by singling me out it proves that you (like me) have gone down that road of divisiveness and unfairness. I do not feel good about this for my part. Is there any common ground? Is it possible for us ALL to live with the decision of Walton County or will this issue just continue to divide us forever. My nature wants to believe that we have more in common than not. Am I just flat out wrong about that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
MP.. I have found a lot of common ground here which is always my goal. I'm sorry you haven't done so. I won't go into the bitter side with you. Not worth it. You're dragging good people through the coals with every post in defense of yourself. You really don't have to do that to express yourself.

I thought you were going fishing. Carry on.