• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Being extremely divisive with unfair posts using names. Twisting their ideas. Making accusations. Trying to divide people. THAT is inflammatory. And unfortunate.

Makes poppy look like a sweetheart.
I am sure poppy is a sweetheart however the passions have brought out hard line positions. Poppy did not push me into a corner. Yes I was pontificating at first trying to reason and feel my way through the mine field of emotions on both side. You, then helped me understand that there is no middle ground on this issue and that no one cares about my opinions (reasons) so make a stand. Well, I made a stand! I made a stand for the Confederate Flag and against the hypocrisy of those wanting to remove the flag. I asked questions not out of anger but out of truth and logic. I understand that some people see the Confederate Flag as a symbol for racism and slavery. I wanted to try and find common ground to have both (respect for those people and respect for the Southern Heritage). But, you proved to me that there is no reality in common ground. Again, I am human and was pushed to make a stand. When you are standing up against poppy and the rest of the no name gang you better strap on chin straps because it is going to get tough.

Up until just recently you have been very civil and fair but by singling me out it proves that you (like me) have gone down that road of divisiveness and unfairness. I do not feel good about this for my part. Is there any common ground? Is it possible for us ALL to live with the decision of Walton County or will this issue just continue to divide us forever. My nature wants to believe that we have more in common than not. Am I just flat out wrong about that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I believe there could be common ground. And in hindsight I wish the original petition group could have started a dialog with more sensitivity to the people in North Walton County who of course are being extremely defensive. Now, finding that common ground and possible compromise or solutions that could have resulted in very positive for the community will be almost impossible.

Not blaming anyone. But sensitivity on all sides is key.

I've totally found common ground with almost everyone here. Thankful.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Teresa, Please read this again. "I do not feel good about this divisiveness". I posted it again because I want you to really read what I am saying about the problem with these forums. There is not just one angry side. That is the problem with a two sided argument as both sides defend, charge and try to defeat. If is probably a fantasy to believe that people would not get their danders up when discussing such a controversial subject. I did not want this to become a two sided argument but you forced me into taking a position. What did you expect?

I wish I had a beautiful painting to send you (Misty's was gorgeous) but I will offer my sincere apologies (and some fish if you like mullet and trout). :)

"Heritage Not Hate"

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'm weary. And frankly my dear I don't give a damn. But I will take the trout.

9c64bc5b1e6613a102f6d0708e7ff564.jpg

Lol. Just trolling.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I believe there could be common ground. And in hindsight I wish the original petition group could have started a dialog with more sensitivity to the people in North Walton County who of course are being extremely defensive. Now, finding that common ground and possible compromise or solutions that could have resulted in very positive for the community will be almost impossible.

Not blaming anyone. But sensitivity on all sides is key.

I've totally found common ground with almost everyone here. Thankful.

I'm not sure what was insensitive about posting historical facts about the flag, how other communities are dealing with the issue, and so on. Remember, Daniel Uhlfelder and the NAACP tried to get the county to take it down in 2002. He, like many of us, knew that attitudes had not changed since that time. Which is unsettling when you think we are one of the last places on earth that flies that flag on government property.

It's really hard to "understand" the opposition when you see emails like this one. Yes, it is a real email. Apparently this guy signed the wrong petition.

[FONT=&amp]I thought your petition was to save flag. Please remove my name from it. We have so much to be protesting right now, instead of a flag. If we are not careful, Isis will have their flag flying here. Would you like that? If you read your history book correctly, you would know the south wanted to secede from the north over taxation. Slavery was not main issue. About the same as now. Even Texas has talked about that. You and naacp are treading in direction you may regret later.
Think about what change you ask for. It could be a whole lot worse

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-b...in-panhandle-pits-north-against-south/2238868
Tampa Bay Times

Supporters and opponents of the Confederate flag will square off again on Tuesday, this time in a Florida Panhandle community with a geographic twist as "northerners" may be more supportive of the flag than people in the South. The place is Walton County, sandwiched between Panama City and Destin in northwest Florida.
Founded in 1824, it's one of the oldest counties in Florida and perhaps best known as the home of Seaside, the photogenic New Urbanism beachfront community used as the setting for the Jim Carrey film "The Truman Show."

Walton is bordered by Alabama on the north and the Gulf of Mexico on the south, and the rebel flag has fluttered on the grounds of a Civil War memorial on the lawn of the Walton County Courthouse since 1964 -- the same year President Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act.

In the aftermath of last month's massacre at an African-American church in Charleston, S.C., opponents launched an aggressive effort to take down the flag. The five-member Walton County Commission heard both sides debate the issue two weeks ago, and delayed a final vote until Tuesday -- at the courthouse in DeFuniak Springs on the county's north side, not far from the Alabama border.

"I'm hopeful," says Daniel Uhlfelder, a 42-year-old lawyer, a 14-year resident and leader of the flag opponents who launched an online petition to have the flag removed. "It's a divisive symbol that doesn't belong on the courthouse grounds. It was immediately offensive to me. We're the last courthouse in Florida that has a flag on the grounds." Uhlfelder said he's troubled by the setting of Tuesday's vote in DeFuniak Springs, where many families have lived for generations and where support for the flag is strongest. "It's a friendlier forum," Uhlfelder said.

In the aftermath of the Charleston killings, the governors of South Carolina and Alabama ordered the flags removed from state capitols, and the city of Pensacola recently removed the flag. Walton County's two Republican legislators are split on the issue: Sen. Don Gaetz, R-Niceville, says it should come down, and Rep. Brad Drake, R-Eucheeanna, says it should continue to fly.

"If someone says they're going to take down a valued piece of American history, I'm not going to agree with that," Drake said. The flag is not a symbol of racial hatred, he said, but of the American soldiers who fought for the "CSA," the Confederate States of America. "Regardless of the consequences, it's a valid piece of American history."

The Northwest Florida Daily News, which has editorialized in favor of removing the flag, ran pro and con op-eds on Sunday by Uhlfelder and Danny Glidewell of DeFuniak Springs, a youth sports coach and referee and former county employee, who described America as a place "besieged by political correctness."

The county commission meets at 9 a.m. central time on Tuesday. "There's going to be a lot of pressure on them," says Jim Anders, a long-time Walton resident, vice-chairman of the local Republican Party and a flag opponent. "I'm from the Panhandle and I do understand our heritage. But it needs to be taken down."

Anders, who's been in the land and timber business since the 1970s, said residents of South Walton are mostly transplants from elsewhere, and people living around DeFuniak Springs are more likely to be lifelong residents.

Commissioners Cecilia Jones and Bill Imfeld did not respond to requests for comment. The agenda includes proposed purchases of an ice machine and a mobile satellite radio telephone for emergencies and "continued discussion of the Confederate battle flag on the courthouse lawn."

Last edited by a moderator:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Jdarg,

I knew there would be controversy but Lord help us all...

The petition was straightforward and factual. That kind of direct action may be professional and well documented but apparently doesn't fly in Walton County FL. When I read it, I thought it was very informative.

But it's not been well received by many to say the least. Especially at a time when the controversy is heating up around us in other southern towns. Not sure what, if any, approach might have been better or more sensitive to those who live in North Walton County. They know that most of us didn't even know of the flag's existence. We've never seen it. We don't live there.

It was timely. But not necessarily the time.

Marion County (Ocala) just voted unanimously to keep their flag but now they are thinking of moving it to a memorial that makes more sense. Ours is at a memorial. Even if it wasn't originally placed there until the 60s.

I hope Walton County takes down the flag. But whatever happens in Walton County, defines Walton County. And that will be that. And everything will remain the same. Until next time.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Would a disclaimer next to the Confederate Flag work, "disclaimer: this flag does not represent racism, hatred or inequality, Walton County Florida"? :)

Or could we place an information center next to the flag that states that Walton county respects BOTH it's Southern History/Heritage AND African American sensitivity to the shootings in South Carolina. We could offer an expense paid vacation for every member's family in that church. I would offer a mullet fish fry (fresh mullet are good too). I am really serious. I would rather talk about ways to reach out to those church members.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Teresa, things could have started out by asking for opinions and trying to find some common ground BEFORE starting the petition and creating all this mess. I am not saying it would have succeeded but at least the effort could have been made. The second mistake was tying the removal effort to the tragedy in South Carolina. You will never win people by tying their heritage and history to a monstrous act. I think the organizers thought they would use that tragedy to bull-rush the county into doing what they wanted. Now it is too late to go back and make this a rational discussion of the issue. But that is certainly not the fault of those wanting to keep the flag. The third mistake is the incessant drumbeat of accusing anyone who wants the flag to remain of being racists and bigots. Not the way to win friends either. Much of the arrogance of calling people names and disrespecting them has come from the removal organizers. People do not react well to being disrespected. So, the entire episode is unfortunate and unproductive.