• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It is not a distraction. It has become a symbol of a large problem in our society.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Jdarg and cuff we will just have to agree to disagree on what the confederate flag symbolizes. It is almost like we speak a different language. It is a mystery to me that you were raised or educated to believe that the confederate flag is a "symbol of slavery, lynchings and the vilest of mankind". Sounds like the confederate flag symbolizes the devil himself to you and others. If you really believe all that then you have been misled somewhere along the way. I was raised in the South to have respect for my fellow man regardless of color (not that you were not but just talking about my Southern family and community) and I have personally witnessed desegregation. I could tell you stories about all my experiences but the bottom line is humans regardless of what skin color and regardless of whether you believe that the confederate flag represents or symbolizes have potential for hatred. We have become an "all or nothing" society. In my opinion I believe that it is easier for society to allow the confederate flag to represent all that is wrong with race relations than to have solve these problems. Also IMO I believe that when you jump on this band wagon to correct the injustice of the confederate flag you are doing just the opposite of what we should be doing to find the causes of these mass shootings.

This flag is very likely coming down and so now I believe that you will find out whether or not this "pumps up" societies desire to end all racism and bigotry. I do not believe you are dumb or insensitive. I just believe that somehow you have become distracted from the truth. We humans have to work to find these causes of violence within our society. We humans will have to work to correct it. It will more than likely start right in your own home so please don't just start with the confederate flag. It will not be the end of the world if you never understand my position but it will be much different if we do not have these discussions about mental health. I don't have the answers, you don't have the answers and the media certainly does not have the answers. Take the flag down and you still want have the answers. What do we do after the flag comes down will likely be extremely important for this nation.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
The Southern heritage of the subject flag is limited to the Army of Northern Virginia. The flag was rejected as a CSA flag, and Florida never had anything remotely close to what is flying in Defuniak Springs. As many have mentioned, it came to popularity during desegregation, and is far more of a symbol of that painful portion of our past than anything that happened in the 19th century. As the great great great grandson of several CSA veterans and a lifelong Southerner, I find the flag in DS embarrassing not only for the reasons it was hijacked, but for the historical inaccuracy. If we want to remember and honor those who fought, at least get it right. Fly the Florida flag after secession or fly the Bonnie Blue, but take down the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
The Southern heritage of the subject flag is limited to the Army of Northern Virginia. The flag was rejected as a CSA flag, and Florida never had anything remotely close to what is flying in Defuniak Springs. As many have mentioned, it came to popularity during desegregation, and is far more of a symbol of that painful portion of our past than anything that happened in the 19th century. As the great great great grandson of several CSA veterans and a lifelong Southerner, I find the flag in DS embarrassing not only for the reasons it was hijacked, but for the historical inaccuracy. If we want to remember and honor those who fought, at least get it right. Fly the Florida flag after secession or fly the Bonnie Blue, but take down the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.
Do you believe that your great great grandfather believed the flag to represent loyalty and honor or hatred and violence toward slaves and all black people? What's just as important is maybe what your father and grandfather taught you about the CSA.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
If the South had won the Civil War slavery would have continued, it's that simple. Stop the white washing and get over it.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
DeFuniak Herald wants your opinion on the confederate flag

11224583_10153386354839618_7427214405283796482_n.jpg

An article in the DeFuniak Herald wants your opinion on the confederate flag being flown at the Walton County Courthouse. I politely posted on the FB site that it should come down and was met with a single reply that "maybe you should move." The response is overwhelmingly against removing the flag. It seems there is a county divide....North vs South.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Except the north is on the wrong side this time. NoWal is behind the times. Huckleberry won the county.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I believe slavery would have ended anyway but that is a different debate. This thread is about whether or not the confederate flag should continue flying at our courthouse. This debate centers on the root causes of bigotry and hatred and the opinion that somehow it all comes from Southern heritage. The issue is apparently confused enough so please do not confuse it more. Of course slavery ended with the civil war and thank god for that but racism and hatred continues on to this day. Over the last several days I have been shocked into finding out just how far from the truth we as a society have gone to cover up the reasons for the civil war, the roots of racism and the roots of violence and hatred. Apparently many people would like to sign this petition and be done with their part of finding answers.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I believe slavery would have ended anyway but that is a different debate. This thread is about whether or not the confederate flag should continue flying at our courthouse. This debate centers on the root causes of bigotry and hatred and the opinion that somehow it all comes from Southern heritage. The issue is apparently confused enough so please do not confuse it more. Of course slavery ended with the civil war and thank god for that but racism and hatred continues on to this day. Over the last several days I have been shocked into finding out just how far from the truth we as a society have gone to cover up the reasons for the civil war, the roots of racism and the roots of violence and hatred. Apparently many people would like to sign this petition and be done with their part of finding answers.
Of course it won't end racism, but is that any reason for the state to continue displaying this flag? The only ones confused as to it's meaning are the ones fighting against it's removal. Read the words of the man, William T. Thompson, who designed the flag describe it's meaning if you still have doubts. I'm not sure you would say it's the root cause, but you can say for certain that the Bible is what people like Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal, Ted Cruse, Rick Santorum and many others claim gives them their justification for bigotry and discrimination just it has for centuries.

Last edited: