• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
If anger about the removal of the flag is to be focused anywhere, focus on the racists that totally co-opted a flag during the segregation years- a flag that had been collecting dust forever until segregationists started using it for their own nasty purposes. You want to know why most people assume it is racist and divisive? Because the majority of Americans never saw it before the 1950s, and then only when connected to white supremacy. So be mad at those jerks that took over your flag and ruined it for you and dishonored the war veterans.

I am returning from a drive to NC that took us through northeast SC and western NC. Saw some really interesting displays of this flag, guess people think the flag flying over their yards full of trash, and dirty, uncared for children and pets, gives them some sort of pride. I guarantee it has nothing to do with war veterans and everything to do with a sad group of people needing to somehow feel superior to African Americans. They only know this flag represents their " superiority", at least that is how they have been raised. It's all they have in a nation whose population is becoming more diverse and they are scared to be left behind. But they were left behind a long time ago.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
As it occurred to any of you that they may be right and racism is not really the reason for its removal?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I think there are racist throughout this country and seems many of them use that flag as a banner which to unite under. Just my opinion. As to whether it should come down, I am not sure but I am willing to consider everything that has been posted here, but I have not yet decided yet.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
The flag is offensive to most as a symbol of repression and those opposed to its removal are aware of that. The arguments for keeping it flying at our courthouse are 1) Its part of their heritage. 2) It honors the Confederate fallen soldiers from the area. Simply, IMO, the flag represents the confederates whom were opposed to abolition and fought and died for the right to own slaves (whether they owned them or not). The war pitted family against family and brother against brother. The flag has been adopted by oppressive organizations because the flag was created by oppressors. To answer your question Andy A, NO. Racism is rampant in Walton Co, especially our county government. Get the flag off of tax payers property, as well as religious symbols. We have no right to shove a few beliefs down the throat of everyone. I am a Christian and would not Islam, or whatever other religion to be shoved down my throat. Let us be free to live, chose and believe how we want. That is worth fighting for.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Local churches should be leading this movement.

When you refer to "this movement" are you talking about removing the confederate flag or gun control or mental health awareness? Based on your post I have to assume that you are only talking about the confederate flag being responsible for this shooting. Now you state that the confederate flag represents poverty, trash in the yards, uncared for children and people with pets and that these people must fly the flag to feel superior. This is kind of judgmental. People are connecting these dots because it take the pressure off the real problems that we should be talking about. My question is why are you so upset over poor people flying the confederate flag? How in the world can you believe that these poor people feel superior to anyone? This just makes no sense to me and I am trying to understand why people are finding it so hard to accept that maybe there are much bigger issues to worry about.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Someone mentioned native American Indians. Do you anti-confederate flag people also believe that the South is the reason we mass killed and destroyed and entire culture? What flag can we burn to solve this problem with our history?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It's not poor people I am referring to- plenty of poor people take care of their families and surroundings. I'm talking about ignorance. It is sad that so many generations have followed this path. You can look on maps showing economic, education, and segregation statistics and see that Southern states aren't doing too well. The flag represents honoring war veterans to a small percent of the population. Again, the majority of Americans only know it as a symbol of sadness. It's a big world outside of Walton County.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I really think some people miss the point that the Charleston shooting is an event that called attention to another separate issue, which is government sanctioned racism and sedition, represented by flying of the battle flag. No one I know is suggesting that the long past due removal of the flag from government property will bring about a reduction is racially motivated domestic terrorism. The shooting was a trigger, no pun intended, for taking a good hard look at truly backward policies of truly backward locales of truly backward states in this country. Unfortunately, the majority of the Walton County population can't get their head out of some 19th century fever dream in which their 16th century values are relevant in the 21st century.