• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
How do we change this? We just do with ever word that comes out of our mouth or word that we type.
Maybe you could change it by purchasing some extra flags and send them to your black college buddies at Christmas to remind them of their role in your Southern Heritage quest. I bet they would love that.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Maybe you could change it by purchasing some extra flags and send them to your black college buddies at Christmas to remind them of their role in your Southern Heritage quest. I bet they would love that.
Are you just guessing about that or do you know any black people?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I had no expectations of changing your mind about me or anyone who has Southern Pride. You just simply are not able to see two sides of anything. In my little book you are the one going backwards in society as for as your abilities to communicate with people who disagree with you.

Classic case of projection. You simply can't tolerate the fact that anyone would disagree with you.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
It's been a long time since I posted here and ya'll are probably thinking, who cares what that damn Yankee thinks. I have had a home in Sowal for 12 years and now many Sowalers are close friends. I have come to love the Southern “culture”, for lack of a better word. To me, that's sitting on the porch with y'all having a sweet tea, grits, hospitality , “yes, ma'am, no, ma'am” and a politeness taught by their Momma to not tell me they don't give a rat's toot what I think.

It took a while and some understanding of the Civil War (they teach it differently in NY for obvious reasons) to understand Southern Pride. To me, that is some of all y'all's relatives who may have fought in that war and in your mind, (since many do not want to acknowledge that the motivation had anything to do with slavery, to give y'all the benefit of the doubt, what I see is a pride that people rose up against the government against what they felt was oppression. So, this flag is a very powerful symbol to some. Flags are, and most Southerners I know, more so than Northerners, join our military and will fight to the death to protect our Country and flag.

So, I truly do not understand that if those who cite Southern pride and the oppression they fought against, do not understand how to some, especially African Americans, how that flag could be oppressive to them and a constant reminder of that time in our history and more so, the aftermath of inequality in this Country. It's the opposite of what people feel who immigrated to this Country at Ellis Island and saw the American flag for the first time. No, they didn't arrive in NY and see a Union Flag flying next to the flag of the US of A. I don't think I have ever seen one, either.

I see no problem with displaying it pridefully at a Confederate Memorial or in a museum. But, to display it and hoist it without regard outside of public government office buildings, where State and Federal business is transacted and no longer embodies our ideals, seems counterproductive to being a Union.

Last edited:

Chief Deputy TC

Beach Comber
Dec 19, 2005
Context

To add some historical context to your very spirited debate, it might matter that the flag was not part of the original monument display.

In fact, it was added by vote of the sitting Board of County Commissioners in April 1964. This was shortly after the House approved the Civil rights act, which was ultimately approved by the Senate and signed into law in July 1964. (Source: Archives of the DeFuniak Springs Herald, April 12, 1964, Front page.

Hope this adds some value to your discussion.

Cory Godwin

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The US flag which represents "freedom" flew over a slave nation for 85 years so in reality, this "debate" is all about hypocrisy!

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Classic case of projection. You simply can't tolerate the fact that anyone would disagree with you.

I believe I have agreed with you on several issues and disagreed with you on others. You have very strong opinions and you choose to support them with sarcasms and other negative communication. You do not have to. You have good points. What I meant by going backwards is the way you communicate. It creates divisiveness. I admit that it is hard to tolerate people like you but I will keep trying.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
The US flag which represents "freedom" flew over a slave nation for 85 years so in reality, this "debate" is all about hypocrisy!
Yes there is a lot of hypocrisy within us humans. Some people are able to live and let live with those hypocrisies and some demand you to be all or nothing. We are being told that we must give up our heritage or become something less.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I believe I have agreed with you on several issues and disagreed with you on others. You have very strong opinions and you choose to support them with sarcasms and other negative communication. You do not have to. You have good points. What I meant by going backwards is the way you communicate. It creates divisiveness. I admit that it is hard to tolerate people like you but I will keep trying.

Good Luck!!!