• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Oh crap Danny, be prepared for mputnal3 and Happy Camper to attack your educated source as just an opinion piece.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
No poppy, if you notice, I "thank" Danny on most of his posts because I agree with them. He backs up his opinions with facts. ;)

Personally, I try my best to interact with, and view, people as individuals, equally. Not as blacks or whites or Asian or Latinos or any other distinguishing characteristics. People are people. We have much more in common as human beings than we realize. I do not and never have supported the KKK or what it stands for.

What this debate is to me is that one side is trying to warp the truth and to divide us. Where will it end? Does anyone think that those that advocate "getting rid of that racist symbol" will stop with that? NO. Politically correct speech is killing real, honest, uncomfortable dialogue, and not communicating will only divide us further. When we are able to get uncomfortable, but truthful, topics on the table we come away with understanding and respect.

The current engineering of dividing us black vs white, Democrat vs Republican, natural citizens vs immigrants serves no good purpose and only weakens our nation.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
If politically correct = doing the right thing, being kind and just, teaching your children respect and appreciation for others, overcoming racism... Then I'm for it. But I think politically correct is just a dumb phrase. Just call it what it is. Making a good choice in your actions and words.. Being thoughtful. Listening. Doing. Making a difference. Accepting that there are others who are effected by your actions and words.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Happy Camper Dr. Ortiz provided plenty of facts the only difference is you didn't like them.

Last edited:

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
Correct. Because his (Ortiz) frame of reference is that of a "foreigner", meaning he's not from the South, (assume) he does not have Southern heritage. Further, much of why the Southern men who fought under the flag, fought because the Union armies were on their lands. It's the same principle as the US trying to dictate how people living in the Middle East (or anywhere outside of the US) should live their lives. They don't "hate us because we are free", many of them hate us because we are there.

As Professor Shelby Foote said, the Northern or the Southern soldier didn't give a damn about slavery. The Southerns thought they were fighting the Second American Revolution and because these foreign soldiers were on their land, and the Northern soldiers were fighting because they thought they were preserving the Union.

Teresa, maybe I did make my point clear. If, being polically correct, we banish the flag, how will kids coming up even see it and ask "what's that?"? You would miss an opportunity to share what we were as a nation and how we have progressed and we are much further along in recognizing that "people are people". If we allow that flag to only be co-opted by white supremacists it is not truthful historically.

But removing any and all things that make someone "uncomfortable" further removes an opportunity to discuss, learn, and grow closer. Political correctness pushes individuals further apart. At my core, I seek peace and understanding with others, but I enjoy and understand how vigorous, respectful debate can further bring that about.

Free speech is diametrically opposed to political correctness. I will always fight for free speech. And I am officially done with this topic....

Last edited by a moderator:

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I am from the south in fact I spent the first 56 years of my life in Memphis, Tn the home of Nathan Bedford Forrest and Shelby Foote. I grew up with the history people are now trying to gloss over, whitewash, or simply rewrite.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Happy Camper, you are saying you want the flag to stay? You are saying a lot of things but not sure what your stance is.

Some believe it's time to take it down. I am satisfied that the flag is not flying over Florida's state capital. I would rather not have it on our county courthouse. But it was put up in 1964 during civil rights and desegregation. And apparently it's a lot harder to take down than to put it up. It is probably here to stay.

I feel it's time has come. But that's just one person's belief. It has nothing to do with being politically correct. It has everything to do with people.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Once again Teresa, the flag DOES NOT fly over the courthouse. There is a rather large US flag in the center of the lawn with the Florida flag that flies over the courthouse. The Confederate flag flies over a memorial to Confederate dead that is located to the side of the courthouse. I really think that impugning the motives of men for a decision made over 50 years ago with no proof is a disservice to their memory, as they are all long dead, as well as their families. I do know one thing, this was not an issue a short time ago when the memorial was rededicated and only became an issue in a misguided attempt to "feel good" about the evil, horrific acts of a monster. I wonder what the reaction would have been had the monster taken a photo holding a gay pride flag or an ISIS flag? That is the essence of politically correct. And before it is said, I realize that neither of those examples is flying in the courthouse lawn. But this attack on the Confederate memorial in Walton County is not being conducted in a vacuum. It is part and parcel with the removal of the Dukes of Hazzard from TV, painting over the flag on one of the original cars from the series, removing General Forrest's remains from his grave, a movement to change the names of various military bases, refusing to sell the flag in Walmart and other outlets and dozens of other attempts to whitewash history. And that is exactly what it is. I have been accused of "whitewashing" history when by definition a whitewash is a removal of all evidence of something that actually happened. Slavery happened. I am shamed by the fact that such happened in history. But if we removed all evidence of that occurrence then how will future generations learn that such evil has existed and we must remain vigilant to prevent it ever happening again?

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I am certainly not angry, and I certainly care. We just have a difference of opinion as to what the "right thing" is on this issue. There will be other issues for other days