• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
11737945_656646331132375_2943936238639653491_n.jpg

Why does Jesus hate the Confederacy, I wonder?

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
I think the reason Jesus hasn't returned is because there are so many crosses around. If I were him I would never want to see another one. :creepy:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
What happened to Cuff's post from last night? It was a beautiful explanation of Cuff's personal growth about the flag in response to Andy A. It truly touched me.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I appreciate the words of these business leaders who will and will not be attending the Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce conference in Sandestin.

Local Leaders Weigh in on Chamber Conference in Walton County

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/P...-Retreat-over-Confederate-Flag-320511682.html

News Release: Office of Mayor Gillum

August 6, 2015

On July 28th, 2015 Walton County Commissioners voted to continue flying a Confederate Flag over the courthouse in Walton County. As a result, the Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce Executive Committee voted yesterday to end their contractual obligations for the 2016 Chamber Conference in Sandestin, FL.

In response, Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum released the following statement:

“First, I would like to express my deepest respect and appreciation to the Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce for their courageous step to relocate next summer's conference away from Walton County in response to Walton County's actions to raise the Confederate flag. There is no daylight between how I and the Chamber feel about the actions taken by the Walton County Commission. With the Chamber's decision to conclude their contractual obligation unless Walton County removed the flag, the Chamber signaled that principles matter.

Secondly, I am not going to Walton County. While the Chamber of Commerce had a business and logistical decision to make with regard to this years' conference, in addition to these concerns, my decision emanates from several additional factors. I serve as the mayor of Florida's Capital City. I am a black man, husband and father to two precious children, who need to look up to their father as an example of moral and principled leadership. I am still grieving over my friend and colleague, Rev. Clementa Pinckney of South Carolina's Emanuel AME Church, having been murdered under the premise of Confederate ideology. I learned from my ancestors at a very early age that if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Admittedly, I did not reach my decision not to go to Walton County without considerable thought and heartfelt contemplation. How would it be perceived if the mayor didn't attend an important conference on economic development? Would people judge me to be careless about my position? Would people think that I am punishing a group who didn't seek out this unfortunate situation? Would I appear too divisive?

These very questions have led me to my decision. Simply put, my actions as mayor of Tallahassee matter. It matters that I demonstrate that, as an All-America City, we stand firmly against discrimination and hatred in whatever form it comes. That as a chief spokesperson for a caring community that works hard to embrace its diversity, I could not in good conscience step foot in a County in which elected leaders deal so insensitively with the potential negative impact their decisions have on all its citizens.

Tallahassee did not ask for this unfortunate situation. We do not fly the confederate flag in public spaces. It was the Walton County Commission that decided to vote, in 2015, to resurrect the Confederate flag in front of its courthouse. Because Walton County chose not to consider the deep pain that America is experiencing over the Confederate flag, because they refuse to recognize the dignity and humanity in every person who lives in and visits their community, and because they chose to push their community backwards rather than moving them forward, Tallahassee is inadvertently relegated to stand in the gap of their derision.

As your mayor, I stand ready to address the economic and social challenges that confront our community. I look forward to working with my friends and colleagues at the Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce to participate in conversations that will move Tallahassee forward. I will be here when the retreat ends to greet our neighbors and work with the Chamber leadership and others to deal with our economic and business concerns, but as the Mayor of one of the most diverse and inclusive cities in America, I will not go to Walton County while the Confederate flag--a symbol of deep oppression and hatred--still flies.”

By: WCTV Eyewitness News
August 7, 2015

City Commissioner Curtis Richardson has released a statement regarding his attendance at the upcoming Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce Annual Conference.

In the statement, Commissioner Richardson says he will be attending the Annual Conference in Walton County.

His statement reads in part:

"Next week, we can show Walton and the world what it looks like when a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative All-America City joins together to address pressing local challenges and opportunities. The best of our city will be on display in Walton County’s front yard— that’s an image we can be proud of and only hope and pray the residents of Walton County seek to emulate."

To read his complete statement, please see related document titled, "Statement by Commissioner Richardson."

News Release: Office of Commissioner Nick Maddox
August 6, 2015

Today, Commissioner Nick Maddox released the following statement in regard to the Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce Annual Conference:

"I will be attending this year’s Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce annual conference. When news of Walton County's commission reached me, I too was offended by their decision not to remove the Confederate flag from the Courthouse. It is a symbol of racial superiority and disrespects all African Americans and fair-minded people.

"While I find the symbol abhorrent, I remain mindful that our community, our chamber, was not a party to Walton County's decision. Truth be told a former member of our community was involved - and on the right side of the issue. The individual pushing for the flag's removal, Daniel Uhlfelder, is a son of Leon County and his father Steve has done much to make Leon a better place to live for all its citizens.

"I did, however, ask Sue Dick and the Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce to cancel any future conferences planned for Walton County. To their credit, they made the right decision and did exactly that.

"Others may have a different opinion about whether to attend or not. Each individual must arrive at their own conclusion. I respect their decision as I ask them to respect mine.

"I look forward to continuing to make Leon a better place to live for everyone and look forward to showing Walton County what "community" really means."

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
They aren't coming. No one has twisted their arms. They made a choice just like the Commissioners did. They have to live with their decisions just as we live with ours. Uhlfelder may be able to keep a few folks off our beaches but he won't be able to keep them all off.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
They aren't coming. No one has twisted their arms. They made a choice just like the Commissioners did. They have to live with their decisions just as we live with ours. Uhlfelder may be able to keep a few folks off our beaches but he won't be able to keep them all off.

Some are coming and some are not - but all have an excellent message. The Mayor had to make a hard decision and I really can't blame him. He is also a father and community member and must make a stand. I realize many won't care what outsiders think but I believe it's important for all of us.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I realize many won't care what outsiders think but I believe it's important for all of us.

If it's so important why start this crap? It seems to me that what was important was getting it done Uhlfelder's way.

That did not work out so well.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Some are coming and some are not - but all have an excellent message. The Mayor had to make a hard decision and I really can't blame him. He is also a father and community member and must make a stand. I realize many won't care what outsiders think but I believe it's important for all of us.
Trust me, Mayor Gillum had political pressure to "make a stand". I have personally contacted him and he is a very good person. Curtis Richardson is also a very good man. He rejected the pressure for all the right reasons.

Teresa, politics has hihacked this whole thing. Just as the Civil War could have been avoided so could this issue BUT for the politics. Both sides have now taken a stand. And now we are left with a very divided community. And I have lost some very good friends (poppy, leader of the banned, lake view too, cuff, you, jensky, jdarg) LOL