• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Sooey PIG

The Razorbacks coach was put on paid administrative leave on Thursday night less than seven hours after his boss, athletic director Jeff Long, learned Petrino had failed to disclose he had been riding with a female employee half his age when his motorcycle skidded off the road over the weekend.

Petrino said he had been concerned about protecting his family and keeping an "inappropriate relationship from becoming public."

It was a stunning revelation for a highly successful coach who prides himself on complete control and intense privacy in his personal life. Petrino will now wait out his fate while Long conducts a review.

"I will fully cooperate with the university throughout this process and my hope is to repair my relationships with my family, my athletic director, the Razorback Nation and remain the head coach of the Razorbacks," he said in a statement issued by the university.

Long announced the decision to put Petrino on leave at a late-night news conference, one that was reminiscent of when the former Atlanta Falcons coach was hired by the Razorbacks on Dec. 11, 2007. Long said he had no timeline in determining Petrino's future with the Razorbacks.

"I'm at the beginning of the review. I don't know what I'm going to find," Long said. "I am disappointed that coach Petrino did not share with me, when he had the opportunity to, the full extent of the accident and who was involved."

Long said he didn't hear about the passenger -- former Arkansas volleyball player and current football program employee Jessica Dorrell, who is 25 -- until the 51-year-old Petrino called him Thursday afternoon, minutes before a police report was released that disclosed her presence at the accident.

I just heard the story yesterday. This is what irks me:

"When I came out of the ditch, there was a lady there that had flagged down a car," Petrino said Tuesday, nursing four broken ribs and wearing a neck brace to support a cracked neck vertebra. "The guy that was in the passenger's seat said, 'Get in, we'll just take you right to the hospital instead of waiting,' and so I got in the car and they headed toward Fayetteville."

That "lady," as we know, was the woman he was having an affair with. What a coincidence! LOL.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Been an interesting couple of weeks in Razorback Nation. Until last pm, I thought that BP would have been suspended, fined heavily and placed on probation. AD Long's statement last pm shed a lot more to the issue that left him little choice but to terminate the coach. It was a very, very difficult thing for him to do as he had a pretty close personal relationship with the Petrino family. You should watch the video of his statement. He was very emotional. Very proud of our AD and the University for taking the right stance on the situation. Also very proud of our team who has shown strength and support of the decision as well as the incoming recruits who are all stating that they still plan on joining the Razorbacks.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out this spring and whether we will have a new coach or keep the current staff for this upcoming season. My preference would be to either hire from within (Paul Petrino) or keep the current staff and assign an interim HC for this upcoming season. Let this staff (who did no wrong) have a chance to show that they are capable of keeping this team together for a shot at the SEC and NC.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Good luck Hogs, and great job in raising the level of class within the SEC. You made a good move!

On another note, Karma is a ...... I like how he was notified in a letter, just like the Atlanta Falcon players were. I know that was required by contract, but there is still something poetic about it.