Photos - Hurricane Katrina landfall

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by kurt, Aug 29, 2005.

1. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

2. ktschris

ktschris Beach Fanatic

Kurt those are amazing. I guess those guys wern't picking up the sand bags in the before photo?

3. Fanceenan

Fanceenan Beach Comber

Kurt, We are owners at BM Villas Condos, the building that has not been so badly undermined. Thank you so much for the pictures! It is difficult to see the damage, but it is much better than we expected. Thank you for the service you are providing!! We'll be there this weekend to help with the cleanup!

4. ladybug8876

ladybug8876 leslie lou

Some of those waves are pretty scary :shock:

5. ladybug8876

ladybug8876 leslie lou

Also besides the scary waves, GREAT Pictures :clap_1: Good work as always keeping us informed.

6. Moondance

Moondance Beach Fanatic

Kurt, any idea how well the geo dunes held up?? It appears in the photo they were OK, but I noticed the water working behing the "dunes," possibly creating a washout condition on the property side of the dunes (parallel to the beach). Did you see any of that? Just curious.

We REALLY appreciate the info and visuals !! :clap_1:

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Actually, the geodune appears to have trapped some sand behind it. Lee Perry fared well this time. Compare it to the before picture and I think you can see the all of the imported sand almost covered it. However, with a closer hit, I think that geodune would be history.

8. Moondance

Moondance Beach Fanatic

Agreed. Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts yet about whether overall sand deposits were "net negative," "net positive" or neutral??

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Still too early to tell, and that answer could vary greatly depending on many things. Will also be difficult to compare with all of the imported sand being placed in piles instead of being spread like it is now. Most piles have settled nicely. It is early, but my guess is that we may have more sand on the beaches, and I do not attribute it to the least to the scraping.

10. Moondance

Moondance Beach Fanatic

Agreed again (I'm easy...). I just saw CCK's post on another thread, posted here for general info:

11. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

Kurt, After looking at those pictures it's just amazing to me how something so destructive can be so beautiful........I'm in awe ;-)

12. margareteileen

margareteileen Beach Comber

Hey - thanks for the info and the pix. Seacrest seems to have held its own in spite of high winds and waves. I thought for sure we were going to have to replace our walkover one more time!

Silly people putting pine straw bales and extra sand of sorts on the beach down here - wasted their time and money. Sorry for them.

Glad we all came through this fairly okay. Seacrest didn't gain any sand at all. What's up with the helicopters cruisin' and lighting up the wave action this evening.

Happy to report that the river is holding its own as well. Now we just have to see if any trees are going to fall on our other place once the ground gets wet.

Keep up the good work.

13. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Not sure, but I know that Tyndall AFB (Panama City)was sending helicopters to the MS & LA area for search and rescue when the winds allowed. Perhaps they are on their way.