• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
:blink:

http://www.sowal.com/photos-061105.html

050611-arlene-040.jpg

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
lenzoe said:
Does that shot of the One Seagrove Place walkover show a damaged walkover, or was that debris washed up at the end of it from somewhere else? I hadn't seen it since they rebuilt it and can't tell from the photo.

The water was all around it but I think it's probably OK - may need a little leveling and shoring up as many will. I saw a few large pieces of walkovers floating in Western Lake, but I'm thinking that the sturdier public ones are mostly OK.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
obvious from the pics alone that beach renourishment did it's job well - wonder if there will be time to do it again before the next big one? are there enough cajuns with dredges to go around? estimated beach sand loss is about 3 vertical feet in pensacola (the maximum awash berm height is 3 feet lower than it was), what would you recon the beach sand loss is at your place? did the sand just get pulled out and stay around or was it headed for mississippi? i love sand!

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
At Seacrest Beach/Rosemary, looks like it took a lot of the sand from the beach but the new sand on the dunes still looked good. Don't know what you call it but the sand that we walk on walk had big black "rocks" :dunno: which I have never seen before. It looked terrible. Can it be that it took that much sand as to expose stuff way below? Also a few of the new steps were crooked but still could get down. Nothing terrible but that will be a drag if we have to pay an assessment for every tropical storm theyre predicting this year. I guess it's part of the package. :bang:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Cork On the Ocean said:
Don't know what you call it but the sand that we walk on walk had big black "rocks" :dunno: which I have never seen before. It looked terrible. Can it be that it took that much sand as to expose stuff way below?

It is probably due to the excessive scraping of the beach, followed by Arlene removing the beach thereby exposing the ground that lies underneath.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
What you're seeing are clay and peat (black rocks as you call them), formations that have been exposed.

Last edited:

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Did Seaside have their beach scraped? I seem to recall that they were one of the places that the DEP didn't give the county permission to scrape. Seaside did bring in a lot of outside sand.

Our current guests at our house on Hickory Street in Seagrove enjoyed the beach yesterday and the beach walkover is intact.