• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Edit: this article stated that Pier Park and Simon malls in Florida to remain closed. As of May 4, these malls have now opened.

Pier Park to remain closed, despite other Simon Properties set to reopen

Apr 29

Panama City Beach, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - Many states are looking to ease restrictions during the coronavirus outbreak and while several places in our area are planning to reopen, Pier Park will remain closed, for now.

PIERPARKCORONA00000000.jpg

Many Simon Properties are reopening across the country, but Pier Park is not one of them. (WJHG/WECP)

However, essential businesses within the retail center, like restaurants, are allowed to remain open for takeout, but not all have chosen to do so.

A lot has changed since the coronavirus outbreak began, especially for local businesses at Pier Park.

Great White Pizza Owner, James Sickler said he closed down the restaurant for 30 days and furloughed all his employees due to the pandemic. Last week, he and his wife reopened to serve as many customers as they can just to make ends meet.

“We don’t have enough business to actually really have any employees at this moment. We’ve brought our children up here to the shop and we teach them their schoolwork during the day then at night they watch movies,” Sickler said.

Other businesses in Pier Park like Angry Tuna Seafood Company have shut down completely to prevent the spread of the virus.

“It’s almost exactly like the hurricane. All my employees aren’t working, they’re not making any money. They’re calling me all the time. Our doors have been closed. We haven’t been able to open or do take out,” Angry Tuna Seafood Company Owner, Tim Jacobi said.

Simon Property Group, the largest us mall owner, is planning to reopen 49 malls and outlets next month, but Pier Park is not one of them.

Pier Park General Manager, Chris Tilley said many of the locations set to reopen are in states where some restrictions are being lifted.

Tilley said they’re waiting on the governor’s response before they move forward and many store owners believe it’s the right call.

“We have a lot of unanswered questions. How is it going to be on the beach? Are we gonna be able to reopen? When will you be able to reopen? Will we be safe? The main thing we want to make sure is that our people are safe,” Jacobi said.

“I’m torn. I’d really like to be in full operation, but I also understand that we as a community need to work together and make sure we don’t continue to spread,” Sickler said.

None of the malls or outlets in Florida owned by Simon Property are on the list to reopen in May.

Pier Park to remain closed, despite other Simon Properties set to reopen

Last edited:

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
I have to wonder if the people who think that it's great that so many businesses have closed have ever owned or run a small business. When all this is over many people will have lost everything. And those who worked for those shuttered businesses still have bills to pay and have to feed their families. Frankly, I think it's time to open for business with a great deal of caution..

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I have to wonder if the people who think that it's great that so many businesses have closed have ever owned or run a small business. When all this is over many people will have lost everything. And those who worked for those shuttered businesses still have bills to pay and have to feed their families. Frankly, I think it's time to open for business with a great deal of caution..

I can sympathize with the small business owners (if I had a small business I think I would understand that the endeavor involves risk, and plan accordingly). But, Simon Properties recognizes that their operation is not one of mom and pop's operating on an island. Pier Park and Silver Sands are tourist magnets that draw thousands on any given summer day. What a terrible idea to bring so many people into one area to shed virus;these places would literally be incubators. Very responsible move on Simon's part. Some of the businesses ARE already open, the vital ones at least-I have patronized some of them. Sorry, no need to open Dave and Buster's, movie theater or souvenir shops at this time.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Things have changed since this report last week Pier Park is now open as of today.

Pier Park
Panama City Beach
Monday May 4th

We're open! See what we're doing to keep you safe. Learn more: click.simon.com/safety

Last edited by a moderator: