• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
We've asked for it and the engineering is underway. The first phase is being paid for with bed tax funds and doesn't require buying additional property, but rather uses existing right of way. Other plans are more ambitious and would require buying land, which has not been approved.

Walton Dunes is next to Dunes of Seagrove Condominiums, east of Eastern Lake. There is also talk of possibly providing an area for boat launch from the beach.

waltondunes.jpg

Montigo Access and additional parking for Santa Clara Access in Seagrove Beach.

montego.jpg

santaclara.jpg

Ed Walline and Dune Allen Accesses - would require purchasing land.

dune-allen.jpg

edwalline.jpg

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I'm curious how y'all feel about this. Is using existing right of way a good idea? What about buying land? Is adding parking a good use of bed tax funds?

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Unsure if it's a good idea for using existing right of way, but it's a better use of bed tax funds than buying songs and subsidizing a cooking show. It's sad, but the ruin of the area from being over developed is reality. There is a need for parking, 30-A is horrible during the summer months due to excessive traffic and limited parking areas. Personally I feel the area has been promoted to it's beginning of demise. I know of several people who have stopped coming here due to the congestion. They say for them, all of the reasons they came here are gone, and the beauty of the area has been destroyed.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Unsure if it's a good idea for using existing right of way, but it's a better use of bed tax funds than buying songs and subsidizing a cooking show. It's sad, but the ruin of the area from being over developed is reality. There is a need for parking, 30-A is horrible during the summer months due to excessive traffic and limited parking areas. Personally I feel the area has been promoted to it's beginning of demise. I know of several people who have stopped coming here due to the congestion. They say for them, all of the reasons they came here are gone, and the beauty of the area has been destroyed.

I get your point but there are millions who think this area is still undiscovered and quaint and undeveloped. While it would be nice to keep an area pristine -- one walk through the woods or along a coastal lake in SoWal is as good as it gets. I kind of chuckle / rolleyes when someone says traffic in summer is so horrible. I have been places where it takes and hour to drive three miles. Traffic here is minor.

mar1na

Beach Comber
Apr 7, 2009
Hello Kurt,

Thanks for posting the plans for this proposal. As part of the community of property owners in the immediate Walton Dunes access area, I can tell you that there is much opposition to the proposal. Part of the charm of 30A and Seagrove is the natural environment which is the reason many of us purchased in the area and is the reason vacationers select our homes/condos as rentals. This proposed parking lot will drastically take away from the very thing that makes Seagrove and 30A so attractive to tourists and property owners alike - which, in the end, will actually be counterproductive to the goals of the TDC and Walton County:
1. Our properties will become less attractive to vacationers which will bring our rental rates down - for some it will be a large decrease - result: less bed tax revenue for the county
2. Our property values will decrease - result: less property revenues for the county
3. Tourism could suffer - many of us have solicited the countless number of guests who have stayed at our properties over the years - the overwhelming response has been a negative one because the very reason they visit is the "quiet, natural surroundings" that this area offers. result: obviously, this will hit everything from sales tax to bed tax.
4. Maintenance costs - this particular area is low lying and when a tropical storm or higher comes through, the waves flood the entire area where the proposed restroom, dune walkover, and south parking lot is in the drawing. This was evident from the last storm that came through when the waves reached the current street. result: these structures will require reconstruction conservatively every 2-3 years.

The above are just some of the issues from a financial perspective, but there are also environmental issues to consider which I know many of you hold very dear being so dedicated to this area.

It has been surprising to us (as property owners) that the immediate community was not made aware and solicited for feedback prior to the TDC expenditures of ~50K on feasibility studies and designs. It seems that the number 1 priority of our county elected commissioners should be to express "the voice" of the community, and I can tell you the property owners in the entire surrounding area are disappointed in the TDC and are/will be expressing their concerns and opposition to this proposal.

My apologies for getting on a soap box, but your timing on this post couldn't have been better as we are all assembling to ensure the concerns of the community are heard and considered. The "Big Yellow Taxi" Joni Mitchell song comes to mind - "They paved PARADISE and put up a PARKING LOT" - seems very fitting for the issue at hand.

Thanks again for bringing attention to this matter.
Marina

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It would seem there are definitely two sides to this story. The permanent residents don't want it and the the rental community does. That said, this is a tourist area and they are going to be catered toward. I knew what I would have to put up with when I moved here permanently as our townhome is among many that are rentals. I cerainly don't have an answer to the necessary balance between residents and the rental people. I still love it here, would not care to live anywhere else but understand that there are inconveniences and occasionally thoughtless people I will have to put up with in order to live in paradise.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I would like to see landscaping and trees used to minimize the effect of these projects on the neighboring houses and neighborhoods.

It looks like the way they shoehorned these in to avoid buying land means a lot of privacy and shade was lost.

SkinShark

Beach Lover
Aug 16, 2012
Currently Walton County P&Z does not allow vending at the public beach access areas. I can see the reasoning behind coke machines and such, but what about our product?

Our sunscreen machines are unique in the way that they do not disturb the "look" of the access. We are able to hang them on walls next to bathrooms, where I believe they will blend in with the decor. This set up allows a space for Visit South Walton to advertise upcoming events in the area, or to display beach safety guidelines.

Our product also comes with a solar panel, which is convenient to place them in areas that do not already have electricity.

The TDC spends millions on advertising and beach safety. I believe providing a quick and easy way to dispense sunscreen to our visitors makes it more comfortable for our visitors, which in turns allows them to go out and spend in our area, instead of spending time renting movies in their rooms.

Did I mention we also have a all natural SPF/ Insect repellant combo? We sure could have used this in the past month.

Thoughts? Is this a decent way to spend our bed tax?

Please visit us at www.SkinShark.com!

mar1na

Beach Comber
Apr 7, 2009
Thanks miznotebook! That would be wonderful if you could post any upcoming public hearings here.