Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Liv'smom, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Liv'smom

Liv'smom Beach Lover

On Saturday, my 2 and 9 year old little girls were playing in my front yard, when a Walton County Sheriff's deputy came by patroling the neighborhood. We live near the end of a cul-de-sac in an undeveloped neighborhood with my family as my only neighbors and my 9 year old is very responsible, so my husband and I don't think twice about the girls playing in the yard unsupervised, until Saturday. According to my 9 year old, who is actually my step-daughter, he stopped the car and asked the girls if they wanted to get into his car and turn on the siren. Now, my 9 year old's mom is really great and has taught her all about not getting in the car with strangers, but apparently never said anything about police officers, because she climbed right in with my 2 year old right behind her. :eek: I was really shocked. I couldn't believe that a trained police officer would invite 2 little girls into his patrol car with not one adult in site. My husband didn't seem to see any harm in it, but I think it was completely inappropriate. I told my 9 year to come in the house if that ever happened again, and that if it was a real police officer, he would understand. I'm wondering if anyone thinks I should persue this to find out who the officer was and find out what in the hell he was thinking or just count my blessings that nothing happened to them. Does anyone else think this was out of line? :dunno:

2. KISH7374

KISH7374 Beach Fanatic

In this day and age you can never be too careful. I think it was completely out of line and the officer should be reported. What in the world was he thinking?:confused: :confused:

3. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

I think it was completely out of line. I would definetly call the sherrifs office and tell them what happened. I am amazed that he would do this. Thank god nothing bad happened!!!!!

4. montgomery30

montgomery30 Beach Lover

You are TOTALLY right. That is way out of line. I would call and report the insolent
    immediately. He could perhaps be a new cop to the field and was not thinking; however that is a liability risk for the police as well as confusing to the child. Thank God he was a real policeman!!! Keep us posted!
    :eek:

5. Liv'smom

Liv'smom Beach Lover

Thank you. I believe I'm going to call them when I get home this evening. Even if it was completely innocent, he needs to know that there are sue happy, sick people out there who would pounce on an opportunity like that. I can't imagine why he would put himself out there like that if he didn't mean anything by it. Well, if he is a sicko, at least there is a report of him attempting something before.

6. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

Please let us know what you find out......

7. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

Isn't that what perverts do to get kids in their car....hey kid your mom was hurt and I was sent here to take you to the hospital and kids think they are cops! Call Ralph Johnson, and remember there are cops that have perversions.

8. Liv'smom

Liv'smom Beach Lover

I will. I am hoping it was just a lapse in judgement.

9. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

I completely agree with the other posters and also feel that as you have mentioned - if he is a sicko, this needs to go on record. I hope you will be able to track this officer down. Good luck and keep us posted. We all learn from threads like this.

10. steele mama

steele mama Beach Fanatic

Any adult, whether a policeman or not, should know not to ask a child to get their car without the parents present.

11. Liv'smom

Liv'smom Beach Lover

Exactly my thoughts. I'm thinking a police officer especially should know that.

12. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

I agree with you and everyone else! So glad your kids are safe!!!

13. TNJed

TNJed Beach Fanatic

I don't think it's THAT big a deal. Cops sometimes try to be good ambassadors of the law by being friendly with kids. Passing out candy or answering questions about "bad guys." Kids are fascinated with cops, firemen, EMS, etc.

Perhaps it was bad judgement for them to be invited into the car without a parent around and I can absolutely understand a parent's worry for their kids getting into cars, but just be sure you don't do the opposite of their intentions and scare them away from those that "Protect and Serve."

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

So I don't understand how you know for certain that it was a real cop? Did the 9 yr old tell you so?

I thought you were going to tell us that after the kids climbed into the car, the cop knocked on your door to tell you about the dangers of kids playing unsupervised, and that they were going to report you as bad parents. (I, in no way, am suggesting that you are a bad parent -- It just sounds like entrapment.)

As someone else mentioned, no matter the career, sex, religion, race, etc., there are perverts and child molesters in each category. Look no further than the recent example in the Catholic Church and in the political fields. It doesn't stop with the badge. You should definitely persuit the incident and file a formal complaint. No right-minded person would do such a thing which you describe without parental consent or parental presence. I think the media should also be alerted so that parents can be reminded to have these discussions with their kids. I doubt this kind of thing happens often, but you don't want to be the one it happens to.

:twisted:

15. Liv'smom

Liv'smom Beach Lover

I'm telling you, it is terrifying to think of what could have happened. Losing either one of my girls, much less both. I can't imagine anything worse. Little confirmations that there is a God.

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Today, it is get into my cop car. Tomorrow, a Child Sexual Predator buys a fake badge and flashes it, and your kid is kidnapped and killed.

You are correct that people should not over-react. The parents should also make the kids aware that a badge does not mean anything more than a uniform, and that anyone asking them to get into the car for any reason, should be a sign to go get mommy or daddy if either are around.

I am a friendly guy and I talk to young kids whom I've never met all the time. Only a small handful shy away, and some run to their mommy and daddy. I don't have any problems with a kid being scared simply because I am a stranger. I say good for them.

17. Liv'smom

Liv'smom Beach Lover

All good points, but when have you seen this go on in their patrol car with no one else around. I am hoping that that is all it was. Poor judgement. But as someone pointed out, their poor judgement is a liability to the polcie dept. It is poor judgment that will scare my kids away from law enforcement. I made it very clear to my kids that a real police officer would never be offended by a child going to a parent. I don't want them to fear law enforcement, I want them to understand that danger is everywhere. To trust their gut. The only thing my 2 year old's gut tells her is when something needs to go in or come out, but I'm working on her. :D

18. Liv'smom

Liv'smom Beach Lover

To answer smiley joe without quoting his long post, thank you for taking the time, we actually heard the siren and I thought it was on the television. My 9 year old then came in and told us about it. According to her, he was in a marked car and uniform, but that was my point with her. You just don't know.

19. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

True about the possiblilty of bad judgement, but........

In our church and in this denomination (as it should be in ALL denominations), we have a policy and a discipline called "Safe Sanctuaries" and it requires no child or teen is alone with an adult, AT ANY TIME. There always has to be another adult or another teen in the same room or car (carpooling to and from events). It's not only for the safety of the child/youth but for the adult as well. It does require a lot of extra planning and obtaining volunteers, but if it's not followed, the event is cancelled.

It's really just common sense and I'm surprised that the officer used such poor judgement. Getting to know the police is done in public situations, "Officer Friendly", etc. That way parents can teach their children w/o the worry of something exactly like this happening.

20. Liv'smom

Liv'smom Beach Lover

Anyone with nothing but good intentions would feel the same way. I am a very laid back parent. I don't want my kids to fear the world, I want them to be cautious as they take it all in. If I were one to overreact, my line of questioning would have gone something like this;

"What did he do to you when you were in his car?"
    "Did he touch you?"

This is just the kind of thing that leads to interviews with Nancy Grace. I would think that they would want to protect one of their own, just as I want to protect mine.