• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I understand that putting on events is not free and there are many assorted costs, but it would be nice if the people who lived in Sowal could still afford to attend many of the great local events.

More and more I hear from locals that they can't afford their favorite events anymore and the only way they will attend is if they win tickets.

And this is a valid complaint as ticket price increases and additional "service fees" over the last several years have doubled or tripled the costs of many popular 30A events.

Even more frustrating is that these increases have come during times when many people are struggling due to the recession and the BP spill.

These events are part of what make Sowal a great place to live. Please keep that in mind when pricing your events and see if you can offer a lower entry cost and offset it by charging more for extras like T-shirts/merchandise, VIP areas, and food and beverage.

HD Lady

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2009
Santa Rosa Beach
Thank you Scooterbug44 for this post. More and more we are hearing the same comments from other locals. Entertainment budgets have definitely dwindled. A sad sign of the times.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Sorry to hear about that. Events by resorts are made to bring people here to rent vacation rentals. They don't need to worry about locals. Without the high priced events though a lot of locals wouldn't be able to afford to go to the movies without a job. Good thing the best things in SoWal are free.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
True, but it's the locals that keep places like resort restaurants in business while there are no events here. If they offer some type of local pricing during the event then locals are more likely to go back.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Many of the events I am referring to occur in the "off season" and are heavily attended by locals.

Yes, visitors pump money into the local economy, but so do locals - and locals do so all year round.

And this "let them eat cake" attitude towards locals is getting rather old.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I understand that putting on events is not free and there are many assorted costs, but it would be nice if the people who lived in Sowal could still afford to attend many of the great local events.

More and more I hear from locals that they can't afford their favorite events anymore and the only way they will attend is if they win tickets.

And this is a valid complaint as ticket price increases and additional "service fees" over the last several years have doubled or tripled the costs of many popular 30A events.

Even more frustrating is that these increases have come during times when many people are struggling due to the recession and the BP spill.

These events are part of what make Sowal a great place to live. Please keep that in mind when pricing your events and see if you can offer a lower entry cost and offset it by charging more for extras like T-shirts/merchandise, VIP areas, and food and beverage.

Specific examples? :dunno:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Specific examples? :dunno:
I was trying to NOT name names and single out certain events as it is not just one event or one community.

And if the point of an event IS to bring in visitors, wouldn't lower ticket prices also help with that? (Especially for events targeted at families, couples, or groups).

I find it hard to believe that costs from year to year increase so much that the ticket prices must go up 25-50%.

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I was trying to NOT name names and single out certain events as it is not just one event or one community.

And if the point of an event IS to bring in visitors, wouldn't lower ticket prices also help with that? (Especially for events targeted at families, couples, or groups).

I find it hard to believe that costs from year to year increase so much that the ticket prices must go up 25-50%.

I'll go first...Alys Beach Halloween Party? That isn't cheap but I don't think they want families, more like half naked booze slugging Barbies. I don't think it is wrong to call out an event by name if you have a critique;you might get an actual response as to why costs go up.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yes, that is one of the events, but it wasn't just one event that prompted the post - there are many others.

Definitely agree that one is an "adult" party.