• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathryn

Beach Comber
I am very thankful that so many homes have pulled through Dennis with little or no damage. Sadly, this is not the case for all of us... my home included.

We have sustained significant damage and will be closed for months as we were after Ivan. The dunes have eroded away at least 20 feet and our decks are hanging on by threads.

How Can You Help?
Please DO NOT walk between the gulf front homes to go look at the beach. Any further erosion of sand could be disastrous. When the Ramsgate public access was washed away after Ivan, many people traipsed between, under and through our homes to get to the beach. This access is gone again and there is currently NO public beach access for the western aspect of Eastern Lake Road (including Summer's Edge). I am worried that if people attempt to get to the beach through our homes, we could lose even more footing. :sosad: Please help. Thanks.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
You need to put something across there so folks won't go through there. Like some barbed wire or something. Sorry for your loss, just be glad you have a place down there!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Sea Turtle said:
I am very thankful that so many homes have pulled through Dennis with little or no damage. Sadly, this is not the case for all of us... my home included.

We have sustained significant damage and will be closed for months as we were after Ivan. The dunes have eroded away at least 20 feet and our decks are hanging on by threads.

How Can You Help?
Please DO NOT walk between the gulf front homes to go look at the beach. Any further erosion of sand could be disastrous. When the Ramsgate public access was washed away after Ivan, many people traipsed between, under and through our homes to get to the beach. This access is gone again and there is currently NO public beach access for the western aspect of Eastern Lake Road (including Summer's Edge). I am worried that if people attempt to get to the beach through our homes, we could lose even more footing. :sosad: Please help. Thanks.

And, as I've said in many places on this board because I think it's very important especially for guests who may seen the dunes as tempting or as a shortcut to the beach: the dunes may well be dangerous, as are the properties near the edge of the dunes. So I wouldn't go near them or let my kids go anywhere near them. I'd get myself to an open beach access and relax by the shoreline and look at the dunes from a safe distance.

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
The dunes are also what protect property and people from being harmed. Any damage done to a dune, however slight, simply puts more in harm's way. That slide down a dune could just as well ruin the house behind it in the next storm.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
travel2much, so sorry about your home. I may come across as a "beach meanie" to many visitors in our area but I am always on "dune patrol" and asking people please not to play or walk on the dunes.

There are signs at times with the ordinance number where is it against the law to go on the dunes but many times those signs have been washed away.

Those of us that live here or have a place here understand the importance of the dunes and and their importance in restoration.

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
Seaturtle's home is the one seriously damaged. So sorry Seaturtle.

Travel's home most likely is ok, given the reports, (will discover tomorrow) but has a friend who suffered some bad stuff.

Hey, I get to be the beach meanie! I have a no tolerance policy for anyone who harms a dune.

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
I was just a visitor a few weeks ago but chased off many parents letting their children "slide down" the already failing dunes, what are they thinking!!! everyone needs to use some common sense :roll:

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
seagrovelover said:
I was just a visitor a few weeks ago but chased off many parents letting their children "slide down" the already failing dunes, what are they thinking!!! everyone needs to use some common sense :roll:

Hurray :clap_1: Visit often. We need folk like you on the beach. Feel free to chase them off whenever you see them. Save a dune.

Kathryn

Beach Comber
Thank you, everyone, for your good wishes. :D

My neighbors and I are holding on. We've been through Opal, Francis, Ivan and Dennis. We'll make it through this, too.

We have gotten the permission from Walton County to close that end of the street off and are in the process of tapping off between the homes. Just wanted to let folks know to please avoid this area.

If any more sand erodes, we'll be swimming and I don't have Water Wings big enough for the house!

Thanks.
Sea Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.