Point Washington Manhunt Over

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by sullygromo, Aug 28, 2009.

1. sullygromo

sullygromo Beach Lover

Anyone know what was going on? About 8 sheriffs cars and undercovers went flying down towards Pompano Joes w/ lights on. About 5 minutes later, they came roaring back the other way on 98.....:confused:

2. firemanjimg

firemanjimg Beach Comber

Shooting 331 & 98?

Anyone know anything about this?

3. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

I saw and was wondering the same thing.

4. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Not yet, nothing on the news. Is there something going on up there or did someone's car backfire?

5. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

That must be why I just saw several sheriffs' cars flying that way on 98.

6. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

395 North blocked off. Can not get home. Hearing all kinds of rumours. Armed bank robber, etc.? If you are down 395, lock up and get safe, something is up!

7. firemanjimg

firemanjimg Beach Comber

Seven gunshots fired at 331 and 98 according to our cable guy who was there, was chased away by WCSO just as shots were fired.

8. ZoeGirl

ZoeGirl Beach Comber

Heard from a neighbor that there was a high-speed chase that ended in a crash and they are in pursuit of that person in the Point Washington area. He is wearing blue pants and possibly no shirt. Considered dangerous and may be armed.

Again, not sure I got the facts right, but please be careful.

9. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Hope everybody at Tom Thumb, TDC, and the Annex are ok.

10. Groovegirls

Groovegirls Beach Fanatic

About 20 minutes ago my neighbor reported the chase on Bay Drive and it was blocked off. Hope they get 'em

11. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

There are unconfirmed reports of a manhunt ongoing at Point Washington near Mitchell Street. The man being hunted by law enforcement officials is armed and has been firing at deputies.
    Do not attempt to confront anyone one foot in the Point Washington area at this time. Call 911 and report his location. The man is described as a white male, goatee, no shirt, blue shorts.
    Again, this is unconfirmed information at this time. More information as it becomes available.

12. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

13. steyou

steyou Beach Fanatic

Searching all cars and checking all I.D.s

14. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Manhunt in progress in Point Washington | point, manhunt, washington - Breaking News - WaltonSun.com

There are unconfirmed reports of a manhunt ongoing at Point Washington near Mitchell Street. The man being hunted by law enforcement officials is armed and has been firing at deputies.
    Do not attempt to confront anyone one foot in the Point Washington area at this time. Call 911 and report his location. The man is described as a white male, goatee, no shirt, blue shorts.
    Again, this is unconfirmed information at this time. More information as it becomes available.

15. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

thanks. both schools in Pt Wash are on lock down now. a friend called to tell me this, and also said there were a ton of cops driving in Pt Wash up395 N from 98. my doors are locked.

16. dmarie

dmarie Beach Lover

I hear a helicopter circling overhead. Perhaps they're looking for someone. Hope no one was hurt. Too much violence in the news lately.

:cry:

17. crackersagain

crackersagain Beach Crab

Manhunt in progress in Daughettes

From the Walton Sun Web site:

It has now been confirmed that a manhunt is ongoing at Point Washington near Mitchell Street. The man being hunted by law enforcement officials is armed and has been firing at deputies during a high speed chase eastbound on U.S. Highway 98.
    The car chase ended when the suspect turned north on Bay Drive (CR 283N) and crashed his truck in the woods and fled on foot.
    Bay County cannine unit is on scene as well as law enforcement officers from FWC, DOT, Okaloosa and Bay counties. A helicopter is also in the area.
    Do not attempt to confront anyone on foot in the Point Washington area at this time. Call 911 and report his location. The man is described as a white male, goatee, no shirt, blue shorts, brown hair. Again, do not attempt to confront this man. He is armed and has fired shots at law enforcment officers.

18. kimbo

kimbo Beach Comber

Bank Robbery and Shooting in Santa Rosa Beach / Point Washington Area

As I came from the First National Bank And Trust in Santa Rosa Beach (next to the post office) I saw a blue Dodge Ram Pickup truck flying down Highway 98 doing speeds in excess of 100 MPH and being chased by 8 Walton County sheriffs deputies. As I went East bound on 98 towards my work I went down Bay Drive because a deputy speedily went down there as well. There was a deputy directing traffic at gun point searching vehicles for what he described as an armed assailant. I asked him what happened and he said the assailant had robbed a bank and shots had been fired.

Be very cognizant of this if you or anyone you know lives in the Santa Rosa / Point Washington area. I can't confirm if the two events (the chase and the bank robber) are related but it seems likely they are one in the same. I also can't confirm if the assailant did indeed rob a bank but that's what the deputy told me as he hurried me to turn around. The deputy has his gun pulled and a bullet proof vest on so it's safe to say something serious is going on right now.

19. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

It has now been confirmed that a manhunt is ongoing at Point Washington near Mitchell Street. The man being hunted by law enforcement officials is armed and has been firing at deputies during a high speed chase eastbound on U.S. Highway 98.
    The car chase ended when the suspect turned north on Bay Drive (CR 283N) and crashed his truck in the woods and fled on foot.
    Bay County cannine unit is on scene as well as law enforcement officers from FWC, DOT, Okaloosa and Bay counties. A helicopter is also in the area.

20. Matt J

Matt J SWGB