• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

iqueequeg

Beach Lover
Feb 2, 2005
Snowy Boston
We're buying a lot and the banks we've spoken with all charge one point for the lot loan. When we built the house we're living in now, we didn't pay any points. What's typical down in sowal?

I'd add a smiley but can't figure out how all you guys do that. I've got emoticon envy.

iqueequeg said:
We're buying a lot and the banks we've spoken with all charge one point for the lot loan. When we built the house we're living in now, we didn't pay any points. What's typical down in sowal?

I'd add a smiley but can't figure out how all you guys do that. I've got emoticon envy.

Don't know about points but for the emoticons are to the right and you just click on one. Like so :D

iqueequeg

Beach Lover
Feb 2, 2005
Snowy Boston
RiverOtter said:
Don't know about points but for the emoticons are to the right and you just click on one. Like so :D

I guess I meant all those fancy emoticons. The barfing ones in particular looked good (although maybe not apropos for this message). Also, when I add icons, they end up at the top, like so.

iqueequeg said:
I guess I meant all those fancy emoticons. The barfing ones in particular looked good (although maybe not apropos for this message). Also, when I add icons, they end up at the top, like so.

:scratch: Hmmmm.... I think I see the problem. You are adding the icons under the posting box. Those only show up at the top of your post. You need to click on the emoticons to the right of the posting box. Like so :doh:

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
RiverOtter said:
:scratch: Hmmmm.... I think I see the problem. You are adding the icons under the posting box. Those only show up at the top of your post. You need to click on the emoticons to the right of the posting box. Like so :doh:

Or like so... :funn:

Please notice the name of this smilie...could Kurt have named this one after the K/J-funns?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Points are just a bank's way of confusing you, like other businesses sometimes attempt. One example which comes to mind are mattresses. To prevent you from shopping from store to store, or online, for the best price for a mattress, each store has a different name or number for the exact same product found in a competitor's store. In Store A, the Seally Dreamsicle may be Store B's Seally Pleasuremate.

The banks do a similar thing. In order to attract you to "better" rates, they will advertise a lower rate, let's say 5% when the norm is 6%, but they may charge you 1 point. Most consumers are left in the dark with a random guess as to which bank has the best deal.

A loan of 5% with 1 point, is essentially an effective rate of 5.125. One point is equivalent to 1/8 (or .125) of a percent on your loan. The point is equivalent to one percent paid to the bank at the beginning of the loan. So basically, on a $100,000 loan, using the above numbers, of a 5% rate with 1 point, you are actually borrowing $99,000 ($100,000 loan - 1 point (or 1%, which equals $1,000 in this case)).

Hopefully, this will not be too overwhelming to comprehend. Focus on the bold typeface to calculate what the bank is really quoting you. Banks may also add other misc fees or admin fees, etc, so be sure to ask about all possible charges. Also find out about all potential penalties, such as penalty for early repayment or semi-monthly payments.:D

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
iqueequeg said:

there is no typical loan. the one point is most likely an origination fee. use a broker and don't pay points.

GVM

Beach Lover
Dec 25, 2004
Have the local banks gotten more conservative with lot loans? A couple of years ago they were really pushing hard. Very good for investors.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
GVM said:
Have the local banks gotten more conservative with lot loans? A couple of years ago they were really pushing hard. Very good for investors.

Currently, the banks are not so quick to give interest only lot loans. I work closely with a few banks, and they are much tighter now, which is a good thing IMO.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Smiling JOe said:
A loan of 5% with 1 point, is essentially an effective rate of 5.125. One point is equivalent to 1/8 (or .125)

Like all GA grads you have the answer for everything :D .