• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I've been surf fishing for Pompano with no luck. Has anyone really caught any yet? I hear rumors but...

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
What kind of rig/bait are you using? Surf fishing for pompano is hard enough even with the right equipment. Usually, I just end up casting for skipjack when I don't have much luck with pompano.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I've been using both frozen shrimp and frozen sand fleas. I typically use a ready made double-hook pomp rig, but will occasionally make a hand tied rig. Have also tried some artificial baits.

These have all worked in the past, I just think the Pompano haven't shown up yet.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
John said:
I've been using both frozen shrimp and frozen sand fleas. I typically use a ready made double-hook pomp rig, but will occasionally make a hand tied rig. Have also tried some artificial baits.

These have all worked in the past, I just think the Pompano haven't shown up yet.

I haven't heard of any yet. Any day now.

TN2FLA

Beach Lover
Jan 12, 2006
Dune Allen
I have been out on the beach for a little while almost everyday for the past 3 weeks at either Ed Walline or the Dune Allen access...Have not seen any pomps caught yet, did see a guy catch a sandbar shark the other day. Fished for nearly 6 hours yesterday, with no luck, but the water is warming and I think about 2 weeks and we will be in full swing

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
They're not here yet. Water temps still slightly low. No bait in the water. When you start seeing the baitfish, that's when the pomp and Spanish start to show.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Yeah, still too cool.

SlowMovin, good bait pods in Mallet Bayou, caught a nice just-legal redfish yesterday evening off the dock with a DOA shrimp. He fought admirably and will live to fight again.

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
Have also been out several times with no luck. I have seen a few being caught though. They are definitely not here in any great numbers yet.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
Saw that the water tmp has warmed up in the last couple of days...anybody seeing pomps in the surf yet?...Red