• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

cpete

Beach Lover
May 3, 2005
Austin, Tx
Just thought I'd give an update on the pontoon rental for those who may be considering.

First, thought... Should have done the full day, it was great!

We went with Shell Island Boat Rentals and Tours. They are in the Treasure Island Marina off of Thomas drive in Panama City. They were very helpfull, the boats were clean and very comfortable.

We had four in our party, myself, my wife, mother-in-law, and our three year old son. We went out for four hours in the morning 8 to 12. On the way out we had a dolphin swim right up to the side of the boat. It spent a few moments swimming around the boat and then away. It was enough time for eveyone to get a good look. Awesome! Was hoping for that but not expecting it.

We went right to where they had insructed us, a cut in shell Island where you could walk to the Gulf side. I counted a dozen boats, I'm guessing that may be on the light side. Most people stayed on the bay side. Go ahead and shlep your stuff (note to self - bring less next time) to the Gulf side, find a spot and soak it in. The water rivaled other places I have been in Mexico, and Belize. As I walked over to the gulf side, the contrast between the sugar white sand and the deep blue sky really caught my attention. I found myself stopping and just staring at it.

We had a great time and it was definately worth the money. Probably the best fun for the price and somthing the whole family can enjoy. It makes me wonder what other special places are out there. Hopefully those who know where those places are will keep them a secret and hopefully I will stumble accross them one of these days. We've been comming to SOWAL for five years, and I see us coming back year after year.

P.S. If any body is intimidated about the boat drive, don't be. It was simple, just listen to what the guys/gals at the dock have to say and you'll be fine. If you've driven you share of water skiers/wakeboarders you'll have no problem.

Have fun!! :D

cpete

Beach Lover
May 3, 2005
Austin, Tx
I have always referred to these boats as pontoon boats. There is a bow on the boat seperated by a swinging gate. I probably wouldn't "ride" on the bow for fear of falling off the front and under the boat. It was an outboard 50 Evinrude, I think. Not allot of HP but enough. Price was $170.00 for four hours. I was going back and forth between this and a half day fishing for myself. For my group, this time, this was the biggest bang (Funn) for the buck. Next year we will probably go two times, maybe one day on their Boston Whaler, which they also rent.

:D

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Sounds like a perfect morning!! :clap_1:

cpete said:
I have always referred to these boats as pontoon boats. There is a bow on the boat seperated by a swinging gate. I probably wouldn't "ride" on the bow for fear of falling off the front and under the boat. It was an outboard 50 Evinrude, I think. Not allot of HP but enough. Price was $170.00 for four hours. I was going back and forth between this and a half day fishing for myself. For my group, this time, this was the biggest bang (Funn) for the buck. Next year we will probably go two times, maybe one day on their Boston Whaler, which they also rent.

:D

Bowrider

ssi246_02.gif

Deckboat

sun254_02.gif

melodiagrand

Beach Crab
Apr 27, 2006
they rent pontoon boats, Boston whalers, and give Captain guided private tours on waverunners or by boat. Swim with dolphin trips, shelling, snorkeling
234-SAIL

goin' coastal

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
Wow, swim with the dolphins--that would be nice. May I assume your house is Melodia Grand? It was one of our favorite places to stay before we built our house in Old Seagrove. I admit I stole some building ideas from it. Tom Christ/Mark Breau house, it is a great place. Glad we had the opportunity to stay there.

DERBYGIRL

Beach Comber
Jun 20, 2006
We rented a pontoon boat in Panama City last year but I cannot remember the name of the place. It was next to a bridge and located at a deserted bar/restaurant right on the water. Does anyone know? We are staying in Grayton Beach this year and need to make our reservation. We had a great time doing this. The kids loved it. Would appreciate any help with the name.

Thanks

imasunbum

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2005
DERBYGIRL said:
We rented a pontoon boat in Panama City last year but I cannot remember the name of the place. It was next to a bridge and located at a deserted bar/restaurant right on the water. Does anyone know? We are staying in Grayton Beach this year and need to make our reservation. We had a great time doing this. The kids loved it. Would appreciate any help with the name.

Thanks

The restaurant that you speak of was Hamiltons. It got hit by a tornado year before last and looks like they are not going to rebuild. The pontoon boat rental place behind it used to be called "You're The Captain", but it may have changed names now. Sorry I couldn't say for sure.