1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Poor internet Service

Discussion in 'Business, Goods and Services' started by SandyFlamingo, Jun 10, 2014.

1. SandyFlamingo

SandyFlamingo Beach Comber

Anyone else having Mediacom internet problems? Poor signal and poor service. Been trying for days to get a technician to come take a look. Very frustrated. Am I the only one having issues?

2. agenthr

agenthr Beach Comber

Download an app called down detector and it gives you recent reports by carrier. You can use their twitter site to get a company rep on pretty easily as well.

3. Entrekin

Entrekin Beach Comber

Yes. Internet reception at Redfish was terrible last weekend. I thought it was just us.

4. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Mediacom and Century Link STINK!!! :cuss:

I thought monopolies were against the law in this country!!!?????

On a related note, think of other companies that have monopolies on services - water and electric are two - think their quality is any better than a cable company?

5. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

Weird, I'm in the Village at BMB and have had a great signal. I've found that the people on their support site get things fixed fairly quickly. I know I'm going to sound like an annoying tech support jerk, but have you reset everything to see if that helps? I have to reset my router and modem at least weekly. Something with the Mediacom signal.

https://support.mediacomcable.com/ then go to Support Forums.

6. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Ours in Watersound was out on Sunday.We called Mediacom. A recordind said there was a problem in our area and that it would be fixed as soon as possible. Our service resumed Sunday night.

7. SandyFlamingo

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, have tried everything. Our internet has been terrible for over two years now. Recently we had two service calls scheduled, no one showed up for either. Very frustrating, by the way if there is an outage in your area they will cancel your service appointment (that's what happened to us) once that outage is repaired, assuming that was your problem, even if that wasn't your problem, without even a phone call, text, or email. So you can wait on them all day! We have come to learn that a lot of people in the area are experiencing the same type of issues. We just finally gave up this trip and decided to try again in a couple of weeks when we return. I am sure we will get it resolved but it is definitely a challenge!

8. SW

SW Beach Comber

I've had all of described problems for 3 years.
    * Bad signal
    * Poor customer support.
    * VERY RUDE old lady in their office (commercial parkway. There is new one though - young and nice).
    * Changing prices.
    With all of their poor service the most frustrated thing was about prices. As you basically have electronic agreement there is no way to argue with them.
    After my 1-st promotional year they raised the price even more then it was promised. Despite I had a pink copy with all the new prices for 2-nd year (I moved my service, so had one in hands) they said it was for moving month only and it doesn't show the contract price. For the 3-rd year they told me "Your 1-st promotional year is ending and we raise the price"
    :D. But as it was end of 2 year agreement, I decided to pay month-to-month only and we found affordable price for me. Any way by the end of the year they started to raise the price again claiming 1.5-2 additional bucks each month. Suports said it was for modem cause it's not free any more, for WI-FI(!!!!) which I had from my own router and other kinds of sh*t.
    The bad thing is that you have to choose between MdC and CL, as they're monopolists in the area. For sure they have better service and prices in the area where they have to conquer with other companies. Was very happy to return their parts back to office and get rid of them.
    Wish you a good luck and patience with those guys...

9. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

If Sprint were better here we'd just get a wireless router from them and use 4G.

10. mbo222

mbo222 Beach Comber

Regular Mediacom: Horrendous. I once had to block the cable tech from leaving my driveway because they simply wouldn't fix the problem and kept beating around the bush. Finally got St Joe Watersound uppers involved to get cable to the house for a service that is included in HOA fees!!!!

I will say that I switched to mediacom business class for my internet last year..whole different experience. Service w/in 24h and pleasant. yes its more expensive, but at least here you get what you pay for.

11. SandyFlamingo

Interesting about the mediacom business class, good to know. We finally got tech out to house and hopefully he has resolved some of the issues, time will tell. But, I have to say in all my years of dealing with things like this mediacom wins the top award for frustration. Waited all day again for the tech, finally saw a mediacom van in neighbors driveway, walked over asked are you trying to find us, he checked computer and said no your not on my list and then began to tell me all the crazy things going on with this company! They literally had a dude a 100 feet from our house and had not scheduled him to take our call, so we waited. It is bad when your own employees express complete frustration. I understand they have a monopoly going but not to name names but I have seen other companies in the same situation and they did not turn out so well. Seems they know they have us, but I was told the secret to getting service is to just keep calling, calling, calling and they will finally get tired of the calls and send someone out and that is what we ended up doing. Again, hopefully they have fixed the problem, tech said they had switched to some new program and that you were suppose to receive a new box in mail??? Said he thought they jumped the gun and were not really ready to implement this program but went ahead anyway. Oh, and a new filter was installed at the pole. Not sure that had anything to do with it being terrible for over two years but again time will tell! Oh, no complaints with technician, he was trying hard to help.

12. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

We've been through almost everything. Some tips:

If you live in an older house and are just now upgrading to HD, the old splitter(s) in your house may need to be upgraded to a higher MHZ to accommodate the higher bandwidth.

If your HD and onDemand don't work, but the regular channels do then it may be the box on the pole. It took multiple visits to find out that the box was full of water and causing the problem.

13. ComputerWorks

ComputerWorks Beach Lover

You're all correct, computer repair being my business, I know first hand how frustrating the lack of customer service can be at Mediacom. That being the case, here are a few steps you can take on your own (if the problem is not on Mediacom's end)

1) Unplug your modem (the box from Mediacom), remove the battery if it has one (never press the reset button)

2) If you have a wireless router unplug it as well (never press the reset button)

3) Then plug back the modem first (box from Mediacom) wait for the lights to go solid, usually 30 seconds+/-

4) Then plug in the wireless router, viola, you should be connected if you have a signal (green solid link light) from Mediacom

5) If no connection, pour a glass of wine and call Mediacom:D

14. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    We took our cable box to the office and said we were having problems. The woman happily exchanged it for a new model box. No questions asked. Same with the other person in line with problems. It works great now.

15. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

You lucked out, half the time they are out of boxes.