• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com
The Walton County, Florida, Hurricane and Storm Damage Reduction Project (Beach Nourishment Project) reached another milestone Tuesday, July 16 with the signing of the project’s Feasibility S

Read more...

We'd love to hear what you think...you can comment here or on the story page. Feel free to share on your site, blog, facebook, or any other site.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
They need to leave our beaches alone and let NATURE restore them. I am sorry to all the folks that spent millions on the beachfront home of their dreams but they should have thought a bit longer about just WHERE they were building. Mother Nature giveth and then she taketh away. Get used to it. And think a bit more more about others having to fund the renourishment of your "PRIVATE BEACH". If I am paying for it I am using it.

Last edited:

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
positive-news-for-walton-county-beach-nourishme

The proposed federal project totals 18.8 miles and includes the following areas: the westernmost five miles of Walton County, Dune Allen to Blue Mountain Beach, Gulf Trace to western Grayton Beach, WaterColor to Deer Lake State Park and Camp Creek Lake to the Bay County line. During the next 18 months, the Corps of Engineers and Walton County will be conducting the Preliminary Engineering and Design Phase of the project, which will be the final phase before construction. More information will be provided in a workshop later this fall.

Pickel will provide a larger update at the TDC Advisory Council meeting August, 13 at 9:00 a.m. and the Board of County Commissioners meeting at 4:00 p.m. Both meetings will be held at the South Walton Courthouse Annex.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I have just one question: can anyone tell us, with certainty, how beach re-nourishment will affect the coastal dune lakes and the outfalls that make them so beautiful and unique?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Beach restiration

Dune Allen, Blue Mt., parts if Grayton , several more to the East in Walton County. Corp Eng.
Approved final plans over next few months. What say ye?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I say I have grave misgivings about the impact of millions of tons of sand added to the beaches near the coastal dune outfalls... can you say "dam"?

soappedaler

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
The sand that is dredged on the beach from offshore will notbbe the same color or grain size as the natural sand. Years ago they did core samples and admitted this. Remember The west side of Panama City Beach ended up with black and peanut butter colored sand on the beach after their project.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Most of you have no idea what you are talking about! If you would attend some of the workshops offered by Brad Pickle and others involved in beach nourishment, then you might have some idea of what you are talking about. Otherwise you are just blathering as so often happens here. Brad, if you feel like informing the uninformed, please weigh in.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Andy, some of us work 55 hrs a week. Seems like it is Brad's job to inform us, not our job to attend every meeting.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Haven't they finished the western portion? How did that turn out? I never get to the beach on that end.

Also, how are PCB beaches looking? I would think Walton county beaches have probably been getting some westward drifting of the sand deposited during their nourishment projects over the years.

Last edited: