• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rentalsat98rrealty

Beach Lover
Nov 25, 2012
Just an FYI for all those viewing long term rentals and / or looking to rent your property to a prospective tenant.

Some of our recent rental prospects have contacted our office (98 Realty and Property Management) in regards to some misleading ads on Craigslist involving long term rental property.

It appears that someone is duplicating current listing ads from Craigslist and intentionally lowering the rent (example: a $1200 per month unit, being advertised at $800) The ads also provide "contact numbers" of a realtor.

Being that we are still not certain who or what the source is of these misleading ads, all I can assure any prospective tenant is that if our organization represents a property, our listings can be double checked by looking at the official website at www.98rentals.com

I have also been told by some of the owners we represent that someone has been consistanly trying to communicate with them, even when referred back to us as their rental representative. The individual requests photos of the owners unit.

To my knowledge, no one that I am aware of has lost money or been the victim of fraud. I wanted to bring this to the forum and maybe someone else has experienced this activity.

It is not uncommon for unsavory individuals to use sites like Craigslist to conduct scams, asking for money in advance, etc.

Hope this helps someone avoid a problem.

Joby

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
Someone tried to scam my daughter this morning with an ad on Craiglist and this reply....

Date: December 29, 2012, 9:24:19 AM CST
Subject: Re: $800 / 3br - Beautiful 3bd / 2ba home ft an open floor plan with a 1 car garage! (Santa Rosa Beach, FL)
Reply-To: Dor S Ness <nessdors@yahoo.com>

Hello Dear,

Thanks for the Email. My husband and I own the house and also want you to know that it was due to my husband transfer to ( West Africa , Nigeria ) that makes us to leave the house and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person and God fearing person who can take very good care of the house in my absence..we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean all the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own. My Name is Deanne L Simpson.

So for now, We are in West Africa and will be staying here for the next 5 years in our new house and also with the document of the house for rent, we try to look for another Agent that we can give this documents before we left but could not find, and we as well do not want our house to be used any how in our absence that is why we took it along with us.

We came to West Africa under (WHO) World Health Organization(WHO).. WHO is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.Visit our website for more information if you also want to make an impact to the world. http://www.who.int/about/en/. I hope you will promise me to take very good care of the House.. The House is very big and nice and it is in a nice area I have received many proposals today for our property.

So i hope you will promise us that you will take very good care of the house. So get back to me if you know you could take care of our house or perhaps experience you have in renting home.Hope you are okay with the price of $800 per month and the security Deposit is $600.Get back to me for the rental application...You can go and view the property.

Here is the Address bellow:

Address: 132 Via Largo
City: Santa Rosa Beach
State: FL

Pets Allowed

Here is my husband contact Number +2348036530161 or 0112348036530161, he will attend to you better

Regards
Deanne and Tini Simpson

watersounder

Beach Comber
Aug 31, 2009
This is happening all over the nation. They try to get you to send money. Here in Tallahassee they were actually using houses that were owned and occupied. They use internet and grab info off of realtor/ google sites then post an ad. they usually look for vacant houses etc. If the deal is to good to be true it probably is.

sadie1

Beach Lover
May 31, 2009
Be aware of the paypal scam on craigs list. they want you to pay them threw pay pal using there paypal link which is fake and then when you give the info they have your account #'s

nordic gypsy

Beach Comber
Jul 29, 2012
I had someone on craigslist contact me with a house for a short term rental and they said they needed to take some current photos but I could look at photos on the real estate listing which just happened to be you guys. After a week or so I decided to call your office to see if the house was in fact owner occupied as the craigslist person said it was. Whenever someone is listing or taking calls for someone else such as their mother or they discuss moving out of the country and the kicker is always that they are very religious - it's usually a scam.

Just an FYI for all those viewing long term rentals and / or looking to rent your property to a prospective tenant.

Some of our recent rental prospects have contacted our office (98 Realty and Property Management) in regards to some misleading ads on Craigslist involving long term rental property.

It appears that someone is duplicating current listing ads from Craigslist and lowering the rent (example: a $1200 per month unit, being advertised at $800) The ads also provide "contact numbers" of a realtor.

Being that we are still not certain who or what the source is of these misleading ads, all I can assure any prospective tenant is that if our organization represents a property, our listings can be double checked by looking at the official website at www.98rentals.com

I have also been told by some of the owners we represent that someone has been consistanly trying to communicate with them, even when referred back to us as their rental representative. The individual requests photos of the owners unit.

To my knowledge, no one that I am aware of has lost money or been the victim of fraud. I wanted to bring this to the forum and maybe someone else has experienced this activity.

It is not uncommon for unsavory individuals to use sites like Craigslist to conduct scams, asking for money in advance, etc.

Hope this helps someone avoid a problem.

Rentalsat98rrealty

Beach Lover
Nov 25, 2012
I am glad people are becoming aware of this situation, thanks to all that posted.

Craigslist and other social media are ways we supplement our formal / official web postings on our site. Like anything else they are not without some level of risk.

Should any prospective Tenant or Owner have ANY questions about rentals, regardless if they are properties we represent or not, please feel free to Private Message me on SoWal and I'll try to help.

We take great pride in our company and want to help keep and continue to develop a healthy, professional long term rental culture in our area.

Please continue to report scams and IF (I hope not), but if someone is actually scammed, I know it can be embarrassing, but it needs to be reported to law enforcement.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Rentalsat98rrealty

Beach Lover
Nov 25, 2012
Thank you everyone that posted on this. I only know of one successful scam in the area that came out of this Craigs List Mess. A family was scammed out of $600.00 as a "deposit" by someone in Nigeria...

If anyone has long term rental needs, please consider contacting us at www.98rentals.com . We are the only local Full Time Long Term Rental Management Company around. Tenants seeking placement and owners looking to make some rental income, please check us out and contact us for more information.

All of our Long Term Management Staff are Florida State Realtors.

www.98rentals.com

850-622-1122