• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
I just noticed an REO in Seacrest, originally listed as a short sale for 795K (297 sq. ft.), came back on the market as an REO at 565K (211 sq.ft.) and went under contract in 4 days.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
For those who have no idea what a REO is, a REO (Real Estate Owned ... by the lender) is a property which is owned by the lender, after having been taken back from the owner who couldn't pay their bills.

The crazy thing is that the bank could have gotten more money from it had they been upfront with the listing agent regarding the price. The banks are kicking themselves in the ars, and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The banks have to have a limit on how flexible they can be with borrowers. They have to have a wall, which borrowers must face (or have their back against). This perpetuates the system of borrowing and lending which has existed for thousands of years. Short term losses sometimes have to happen for long term gains.

Imagine debtors prison, or being shipped to another country as an indentured servant.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Is there any easy way online to find local REOs?

I wouldn't call it "easy," but it is somewhat possible.

Google "REO" and name a bank or mortgage company (i.e. REO "Countrywide").

Usually in the resulting list you will find the line item that directs you to their REO listings. You may find that each financial institution has a different way to search for properties: They ask you to identify the state; type of property; zip code; # bedrooms; etc.

Happy hunting!

Joe Mammy

Beach Lover
Mar 26, 2007
You could always just ask a competent realtor to setup automated emailings of newly listed REOs in the designated areas you desire.