• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com
Please be advised that the Walton County Board of County Commissioners will hold a Public Hearing on April 27, 2021 at 9:00 AM or soon thereafter, to consider:

AN ORDINANCE OF THE WALTON COUNTY BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS DECLARING, EXTENDING A TEMPORARY MORATORIUM WITHIN THE UNINCORPORATED AREAS OF WALTON COUNTY ON THE OFFERING FOR HIRE OF MICROMOBILITY DEVICES, AND ON THE SUBMITTAL AND PROCESSING OF APPLICATIONS, AND ISSUANCE OF ANY PERMITS OR FRANCHISES PERTAINING TO THE OFFERING FOR HIRE OF MICROMOBILITY DEVICES, IN ORDER TO ALLOW AN OPPORTUNITY FOR THE COUNTY TO DEVELOP REGULATIONS FOR SUCH USES IN THE COUNTY RIGHTS OF WAY; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY, CODIFICATION, AND EFFECTIVE DATE.

The meeting will take place at the South Walton Annex located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd., Santa Rosa Beach, FL.

If anyone decides to appeal a decision of the Board with respect to this meeting that person must ensure that a verbatim record of the meeting is made.

This meeting is open to the public. For additional information, please contact Walton County Administration at (850) 892-8155.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Thanks guys that's what I thought but was not sure after searching what micromobility refers to wheic includes e-bikes.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
No...I believe this is what was put in place to keep out Lime, Bird, Lyft, and Jump rental scooters as preemptive measure.
I've used them in St. Louis, Tampa and New Orleans. No problems and a fun alternative to taxis/ubers. That said they would likely end up in woods, lakes and a massive pile at Seaside.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've used them in St. Louis, Tampa and New Orleans. No problems and a fun alternative to taxis/ubers. That said they would likely end up in woods, lakes and a massive pile at Seaside
After watching them for a couple years in Atlanta I have a problem with their modus operandi which basically is to dump a bunch of scooters in an area in the dead of night (it seems) and to deal with the ramifications after the fact.
The big issue is you wind up with scooters left anywhere and everywhere. It was awful up here.

Now, all of that being said Sowal does not fit their business model. They need to generate revenue all the time, and the seasonal nature of usage does not support that.

I have no issues with scooters, themselves, but having a huge number just dumped in the area woukd be awful, and I applaud the efforts to keep the rental side restricted.

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com

Micromobility Workshop - July 27​

Mobility Plan Logo

SAVE THE DATE: July 27, 2021

Walton County Planning invites you to a community workshop on a proposed County ordinance regulating micromobility devices.

Micromobility devices could include E-bikes, electric scooters, electric skateboards, shared bicycles, and electric pedal assisted (pedelec) bicycles. Walton County currently has a moratorium in place regarding such devices until the end of September 2021. The proposed micromobility ordinance would establish how Walton County would regulate companies that rent micromobility devices.

The County welcomes public input related to this proposed ordinance.

The following is a list of items that could potentially be included in a micromobility ordinance enacted by the County:

• The parking of micromobility devices: either dockless, corrals, racks and / or stations;
  • The hours of operation for micromobility devices;
  • The speed of micromobility devices (note: speed limits would likely vary by location);
  • Geofencing requirements or locational requirements for use;
  • The daily rebalancing and the operation of micromobility devices;
  • Required components for micromobility devices such as lights, wheel size, breaks, warning devices, digital speed and battery display, locking, etc;
  • Data sharing requirements for devices such as length of use, miles of use, number of trips,
  • origin and destination (note: national companies would collect this through their application, local providers would have to request this information);
  • Fees for application and / or permit, use of public right-of-way (daily or per trip), confiscation of devices from right-of-way, retrieval of confiscated devices;
  • Point of contact information of providers and identification of devices and any requirement that a provider would be required to have a local presence;
  • Insurance requirements, indemnification and hold harmless requirements.

Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2021
Time: 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM
31 Coastal Centre Blvd.
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459

You can also attend the workshop via Zoom:

To join the webinar by computer, go to:
Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting

To join by telephone:

US: +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 929 205 6099 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 6833

Webinar ID: 822 8879 1138