• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

arkiegirl

Beach Lover
Jan 30, 2006
I am not very familiar with Publix stores, but I am all too familiar with Wal Mart (notice my name "Arkiegirl"). I have in the past had horrible experiences with the Destin WM--espically on Sunday :pissed: . I plan to bring most of my groceries, but will still have things to pick up. How does the Publix and WM compare--espically in price? Selection?

I KNOW we will have to make a trip to WM at some point in the week, but to pick up those first few grocery items should I go to Publix? :dunno:

Also, we are staying at Camping on the Gulf--almost to SanDestin, where is the closet Publix--in case I go that route? I am thinking there is one to the east towards SanDestin resort.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Arkiegirl: I just always stop at the Destin Walmart on my way in and get it over with. I take a deep breath and follow SJ's rules of engagement. :D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
My Walmart rule is to avoid it like the plague, especially during between Memorial Day and Labor Day. You will find plenty of selection at the Sandestin Publix, about 1 mile to the east of Camping on the Gulf. Walmart is maybe 7 miles to the west of you, but you've been warned. Publix will be pricier than Walmart, but then again, people don't try to run over you in the parking lot, like they tend to attempt at Walmart.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Arkiegirl-I am betting that you come down into Destin via the mid-bay bridge. You might consider going a few exits further east to the HWY 331 exit and go to the Super Wal-Mart in Defuniak Springs. The Wal-Mart is a stones throw north of I-10 and there are zero tourists there. You can stock up there and then go down 331 into SOWAL. Just a thought.:D

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
Arkiegirl-I am betting that you come down into Destin via the mid-bay bridge. You might consider going a few exits further east to the HWY 331 exit and go to the Super Wal-Mart in Defuniak Springs. The Wal-Mart is a stones throw north of I-10 and there are zero tourists there. You can stock up there and then go down 331 into SOWAL. Just a thought.:D

This is exactly what we do if our vehicle isn't too loaded for the trip down.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
First, a hint from a local: Never ever set foot in Walmart, Publix, or any other grocery store in the area between the hours of 12 noon, and 12 midnight on Saturdays during the summer season. It's a madhouse. Hold off until Sunday morning when no one's there.

Publix pricing is odd in the sense that they'll be more expensive for something like a bag of sugar, of a box of midlevel tea bags. But for more higher end items, they'll often come in cheaper than Walmart. We're pretty middlebrow grocery shoppers, and it ended up being cheaper for us to shop at Publix in Destin than it was to grocery shop at Walmart when we lived in Tennessee. (Only been to Walmart maybe five times in the nine years since we moved here) Their store brands are also well-priced and good quailty. Love their orange juice and goat cheese.

Publix also has got a lot of stuff you normally only find at the gourmet places like Whole Foods, and have good produce and bakery sections. Their french hamburger rolls kill.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Amen to Beachmouse. Saturday is check-in day. Frantic. And the French hamburger rolls are the best buns you can buy. :D

And not to revive the anti-WalMart rants, Publix has been good enough to put 3 stores (Grand Boulevard, Watercolor, Carillon) within easy driving distance of every locale in SoWal. No need to venture into the peak-season Destin madness or trek clear over to the PC store.

ATJoe

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Westfield, IN
Extremely valuable information. Thanks to all. :bow: :bow:

We're set to roll into Sandestin in a month and my biggest fear was not hurricanes, sharks, or jellyfish but the very real possibility of having a fatal cerebral hemorrhage at one of the local big box food and supply marts. :bang: :bang:

Armed with this info, I might stand a fighting chance of limiting the damage to a mild stroke.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal

We're set to roll into Sandestin in a month and my biggest fear was not hurricanes, sharks, or jellyfish but the very real possibility of having a fatal cerebral hemorrhage at one of the local big box food and supply marts. :bang: :bang:

Armed with this info, I might stand a fighting chance of limiting the damage to a mild stroke.

:D :D :D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

If going to Walmart is a must for you, take a Valium before you go.