• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
hi y'all
i'm looking at a newly renovated house in grayton for our beach trip now.
it's right next door to where we stayed last year. we loved the house last year, but honestly, it had roaches. yeah yeah, i know, roaches are everywhere in florida( i used to live down there). we had pest control and rarely saw any in our house, and if we did, they were usually dead. now i'm talking about the big ones, the outdoor type, it has nothing to do with cleanliness, the house was clean and nice. anyway, at that house we saw probably 2-3 roaches a DAY! so, i'm wondering if perhaps it's the lake lot. this house, and the one next too it, kinda butt up to the lake. so, my question, do you think it'll have the same problem?

now, the more important question - those pesky yellow flies. my husband found out last year, after numerous bites, that he is allergic to them. we'd never had a problem with the yellow flies before when we were down there, only the black ones. but last year, when we were by the pool, those yellow flies were horrendous. they were not on the beach, only in our back yard :)
do houses closer to the lake have these issues?
we usually stay at walker house, but now we will have more people and need a bigger place.

i'm so picky about my vacation, so please forgive me. i love grayton and 30A despite those pests :)

reece

Last edited:

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
It seems that unless the owner has a monthly or at least quarterly pesticide treatment you will see the palmetto bugs. I grew up with them(mainly saw them at night) because we didn't spray back then. I hated them too! Now we don't see them, or rarely see them. They used to dive bomb us in the living room. Skeery! It doesn't matter, lake or not. We are on the lake.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
It seems that unless the owner has a monthly or at least quarterly pesticide treatment you will see the palmetto bugs. I grew up with them(mainly saw them at night) because we didn't spray back then. I hated them too! Now we don't see them, or rarely see them. They used to dive bomb us in the living room. Skeery! It doesn't matter, lake or not. We are on the lake.

I think I would just die. I can handle camping and certain types of bugs but those I just can't. I love how they're called "palmetto bugs" so much nicer. :lol: Everytime I'm down south I'm amazed at the size of the bugs. I can't imagine what they look like in Texas!:D

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Palmetto bugs live outside and come inside to hunt, usually at night. They eat cockroaches, spiders, small dogs, and of course, cats and cat turds.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
hi y'all
i'm looking at a newly renovated house in grayton for our beach trip now.
it's right next door to where we stayed last year. we loved the house last year, but honestly, it had roaches. yeah yeah, i know, roaches are everywhere in florida( i used to live down there). we had pest control and rarely saw any in our house, and if we did, they were usually dead. now i'm talking about the big ones, the outdoor type, it has nothing to do with cleanliness, the house was clean and nice. anyway, at that house we saw probably 2-3 roaches a DAY! so, i'm wondering if perhaps it's the lake lot. this house, and the one next too it, kinda butt up to the lake. so, my question, do you think it'll have the same problem?

now, the more important question - those pesky yellow flies. my husband found out last year, after numerous bites, that he is allergic to them. we'd never had a problem with the yellow flies before when we were down there, only the black ones. but last year, when we were by the pool, those yellow flies were horrendous. they were not on the beach, only in our back yard :)
do houses closer to the lake have these issues?
we usually stay at walker house, but now we will have more people and need a bigger place.

i'm so picky about my vacation, so please forgive me. i love grayton and 30A despite those pests :)

reece
I would find out if they use a pesticide treatment and how often. I hear vinegar keeps the yellow flies away. It also helps if it's windy!!!

Palmetto bugs live outside and come inside to hunt, usually at night. They eat cockroaches, spiders, small dogs, and of course, cats and cat turds.

:eek: :lol:

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
I :love: THAT NAME-Purple Porpoise, I feel very fortunate I haven't seen a cockroach, a palmetto or two, yes, but cockroach, NO, in neither our place down there or here in Tennessee. Thank Goodness!
Whoa though, in St. Pete and also Chicago I really had a hard time getting rid of them. I think you can bring the eggs in on grocery cans or anything and then its hard to get rid of them completely. Not to worry, probably nothing to do with the lake though. Did you say this house was in Inlet Beach? I saw a purple house for sale over there. Looked cute. ;-)

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
I KNOW! the bugs that come out at night are the worst! shiver! LOL
then they get into your shoes - ugh thank God for flip flops.
i complained to Rivard when we checked out and the girl told me "all houses in Florida have roaches". :shock: i just said, well, i think they need pest control in that house.
anyone else on the lake have problems with roaches and flies? :dunno:
anyway - the purple porpoise is on defuniak st in grayton. it's really nice, and affordable(i guess it's either because it is it's first season on the rental market or it's full of roaches :rotfl: - JUST KIDDING!!!

i'm still thinking about it ------

reece

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I have friends renting the Purple Porpoise in mid-March, so I will let you know about it.

Regarding the palmetto bugs- it is just a fact of life here. They love the light on our front porch. Of course when a door opens, they sneak in too, but hardly an infestation. Like Junegrass, seaweed, mosquitos, black flies, yellow flies, lines at Publix, rain, and rough surf, whether or not Palmetto bugs will be a problem in your vacation is anybody's guess- you are probably better off consulting a Magic 8 Ball!

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
thanks jdarg! i look forward to hearing from you about your friend's stay.

about the palmetto bugs - i know they are prevalent in the south, i'm a good southern gal, but we've stayed in grayton for 6 years and never had a problem until last year. i think those folks just needed a better pest service. :)
one or two during the week we're there wouldn't be a big deal, but this was like 2-3 a day! anyway - yes, we had a grayt time despite those and those pesky yellow flies. most years, i must say, we have never had any issues - we've been really lucky i guess. those damn black flies at the beach are quite the nuisance and the yellow flies itch like crazy, and the roaches are gross, but it's still usually the best week of the YEAR!! :)

reece

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
BTW, hubby, I'll call him Bubba,(I always wanted a bubba:roll: ) got allergic to the yellow flies last year too. At Ace home helper they had a beach ball spray painted black with sticky spray all over it hanging from the ceiling in the outdoor area. Hmmmm? Evidently they only come for a few weeks or so around June. Heard some locals call 'em June flies. Anyway, Bubba's foot swole up the size of a nerf football. Poor fella. :sosad: Those suckers draw blood. And whatever you do don't get bit by any ants down there. I decided to pull some weeds one day and got a bite that I swear lasted for a month! Musta had super venom. :eek: