• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wallymom

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2005
We had our routine termite inspection today, and the guy from the inspection company warned us about pygmy rattlesnakes that he claimed were common in SoWal. Has anyone had experience with these? Has anyone seen them or been bitten????? It sounded creepy to me! Thanks! :shock:

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Snellsburg, GA
www.myfloridacottage.com
We know a realtor who's (admittedly older) dog was killed by a pygmy rattler's bite. She lived near the Camp Creek Golf Course when it was being built and assumed that the clearing and construction drove it out.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
wallymom said:
We had our routine termite inspection today, and the guy from the inspection company warned us about pygmy rattlesnakes that he claimed were common in SoWal. Has anyone had experience with these? Has anyone seen them or been bitten????? It sounded creepy to me! Thanks! :shock:

Hello my Indiana neighbor! I read the first part of your opening sentence and nearly had a heart attack. I wasn't counting on being invaded by snakes this summer. Maybe some ants in the kitchen, but snakes? Never!

Though of course I don't want them near your SoWal cottage either... :D

Beemn

Beach Lover
Jan 1, 2006
so wal
Yes I know some about the snake. You often will not notice them. They lie curled up in a 3-4 inch circle. We had one lying in a pot on our patio that wouldn't leave for days, but it never bothered us! Eventually , sitting on the patio was no problem. The biggest problem would be stepping on or very near one. They otherwise are more dangerous to pets!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I have seen them here. The last one I saw was on the welcome mat outside a local business when I opened the door to exit. :eek: Fortunately, I saw him and hurdled him.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
steele mama said:
No pictures? :dunno:
I did get some photos, but that was last year, before I began cataloging them, so I have no idea where they are located, but I did stay in a ... The real but is that I did get a nice pic of this other fat cat resting in srtike mode at the edge of a sidewalk outside a local business.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
Don't worry. The scorpions keep them at bay. :lol: :shock:
This past weekend, someone told me that they had a Scorpion on their table when they sat down at a local restaurant. :eek: