Question re: Satellite TV local channels, etc

Discussion in 'Business, Goods and Services' started by GVM, Mar 21, 2007.

1. GVM

GVM Beach Lover

Does anyone have DirecTV or Dish TV in the Seagrove area, and are you able to receive network (ABC, NBC, CBS) programming via satellite? I'm aware that Panama City local stations are not available via satellite just yet. In the alternative, is Mediacom providing decent cable service in the area, including HD?
    Thanks.

2. Beachmom

Beachmom Beach Fanatic

We have Dish Network, started out with the big 3, but somewhere along the line we lost CBS:dunno: Didn't notice until Super Bowl night:pissed: :bang: NBC and ABC are local PC stations-at least here in Seagrove. It's been ok, but disappointing during storms- it always goes out.

3. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

I got Dish a month ago because I was tired of Mediacom's price going up and up, and the service going out.
    Deliberated long and hard because I had heard Dish would go out when it rains.

We had one hard rain since I've had it; it went out for about 10 seconds, and was right back up. Mediacom used to take hours or days to come back.

Have local channels from NBC, ABC, and PBS from Panama City. Do not get CBS.

I am much happier with Dish, especially with the DVR--now, I don't have to watch/listen to commercials!

4. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

I have DirectTV with network feeds from both coasts - no locals. You have to let them know that you can't receive a decent signal from over-the-air network affiliates and then pay a few dollars extra to get the national feeds.

I'm south of the bay and can't even get cable to my house. :roll:

5. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

We also have Dish Network with local channels. Our local channels include NBC, ABC & Fox out of Panama City; also PBS and Coast TV. We did have CBS from WTVY in Dothan, until some imbecile somewhere decided that an out-of-state station could not be a local station. The other option for a CBS station would be out of Mobile.

Fortunately, before Dish added local channels, we had a 50' antenna installed so that we could get the local channels and weather reports when it rains. But I've made the comment several times - most recently on Super Bowl Sunday and last week during the NCAA tournament - that if I didn't have access to CBS, I'd be :pissed: .

6. GVM

GVM Beach Lover

Thanks, folks, for all the good information. Embarq, the phone company, is now offering a bundle of services including local phone, DSL, and The Dish Network.

7. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

So close and yet soooo far. :bang:

8. chrisv

chrisv Beach Fanatic

I've got the same set-up. Love having NYC and LA feeds, great variety during football season. I had to fight with the Dothan CBS station back in 2002 to get them to release their "rights" over me, but I won. Neither PC station had a problem.

I do have the "poverty package" from Cox for local cable, primarily for local news and weather- comes in handy during 'cane season.

9. ChillPill

ChillPill Beach Fanatic

Need Satellite TV and Internet aircard Advice

Hello all,
    Hoping to get some advice from your experience.

I'll be moving to a house out near the Eden Gardens State Park/ Point Washington area and need recommendations on Satellite TV and Internet access out there.

I'll have 2 new macintosh computers and an older Dell PC and will need reasonably reliable internet access as I work from home.

Any suggestions/advice welcome!

(Thanks so much for your help, and I hope you are not laughing too hard at me for asking such silly questions! :breakcomp:)