• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beach days

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2017
Freeport
I was at a walkover in sea grove this weekend and overheard a beach front homeowner arguing with a beach goer. The homeowner stated they paid taxes on beach land and it was theirs. At that time the the beach guy mentioned that was because the homeowner quick claimed the beach for a 100.00 . The property was at the end of San Juan ave. the home owner said that was right. I wonder how much of the beach has been given away for that price? I looked on tax Page and that's what it says also.i also seen where a judge in 1994 stated it was gulf shore manor beach for perpetual use of sunbathing and recreation.from Dothan street to pelayo.

Attachments

• IMG_6401.PNG
    IMG_6401.PNG
    692 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_6402.PNG
    IMG_6402.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 298

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Quit-claims are generally for no or very little money. Unfortunately, quiet titles and quit-claims have closed a number of accesses to the beach and made public land "private." Headland Avenue in Old Seagrove and Stallworth are two that come to mind.
However, Homeowner is wrong about paying taxes. Their property is appraised based on linear feet or width on their property, which is the same on the bluff and the beach, and waterfront is appraised at a higher rate, with some market value thrown in. However, the sandy beach is NOT included as acreage on their property tax bill - as it is unusable for building. They pay taxes on their home and the parcel of property it sits on, but not past the CCL. No matter what their legal description says.
Homeowner sounds like the lady who puckered her lips up at me while I was notarizing CU affadavits at Seagrove Village Market last weekend.

stone packard

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2018
niceville
I always thought that quitclaim deeds were worthless in most jurisdictions except maybe in places like the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
Quit-claims are generally for no or very little money. Unfortunately, quiet titles and quit-claims have closed a number of accesses to the beach and made public land "private." Headland Avenue in Old Seagrove and Stallworth are two that come to mind.
However, Homeowner is wrong about paying taxes. Their property is appraised based on linear feet or width on their property, which is the same on the bluff and the beach, and waterfront is appraised at a higher rate, with some market value thrown in. However, the sandy beach is NOT included as acreage on their property tax bill - as it is unusable for building. They pay taxes on their home and the parcel of property it sits on, but not past the CCL. No matter what their legal description says.
Homeowner sounds like the lady who puckered her lips up at me while I was notarizing CU affadavits at Seagrove Village Market last weekend.

That's just not true on the property taxes. Whatever premium was paid on that entire property by the purchaser at the time of purchase is factored into the property tax bill through the fair market value calculation and it forever stays at that rate. This is the way Florida works. The purchase price paid for the entire parcel is factored into the property tax bill. And it's a very poor argument to make to suggest no one paid a premium to own to the MHWL --- so yes, taxes are paid on the entire parcel year over year including the dry sand.

What does not occur is any assessment of any part of un-buildable land for property tax increases, that's true across the entire state, wetlands, common areas, any unbuildable land is never assessed --- until the property is sold again. Then whatever the purchase price is paid at the time for the entire piece of land is worked into the property tax on the property.

You heard a number of BFO's say in the public hearing yesterday they purchased to the MHWL.

So this is using a half truth to come to an incorrect conclusion.

There are people paying $50,000 even $100,000 a year in property taxes on their parcel to the MHWL that is not disputable. So to say people aren't paying property taxes for the beach rings hollow and the sales data doesn't support that idea.

Shannon

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
That's just not true on the property taxes. Whatever premium was paid on that entire property by the purchaser at the time of purchase is factored into the property tax bill through the fair market value calculation and it forever stays at that rate. This is the way Florida works. The purchase price paid for the entire parcel is factored into the property tax bill. And it's a very poor argument to make to suggest no one paid a premium to own to the MHWL --- so yes, taxes are paid on the entire parcel year over year including the dry sand.

What does not occur is any assessment of any part of un-buildable land for property tax increases, that's true across the entire state, wetlands, common areas, any unbuildable land is never assessed --- until the property is sold again. Then whatever the purchase price is paid at the time for the entire piece of land is worked into the property tax on the property.

You heard a number of BFO's say in the public hearing yesterday they purchased to the MHWL.

So this is using a half truth to come to an incorrect conclusion.

There are people paying $50,000 even $100,000 a year in property taxes on their parcel to the MHWL that is not disputable. So to say people aren't paying property taxes for the beach rings hollow and the sales data doesn't support that idea.

Shannon
Nice try. Convoluted logic. :nono:

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
Nice try. Convoluted logic. :nono:

The truth often is more complex than simply declaring day is night. There was nothing convoluted about that exposition of facts. Your reply, on the other hand, exemplifies convoluted logic, i.e., illogic.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I dont hear any of the BFOs saying anything about that $5 million McMansion they built that sleeps 54 people (so they can get even more rent) being factored in to that tax bill. Guarantee those little one story block houses
dont pay near the tax on the same size lot.