• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It is SWOT (Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats) and if you read through many of them from the Navarre report you'll see why I have serious misgivings about incorporation.

Especially something that seems to need an awful lot of "polishing" when it's based on facts and existing figures.

I know what they are. As I said, I don't know if there was an issue with them or not. Apples and oranges, different city, different study.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Read about Charter Counties.

20 of 67 counties have know adopted this as a solution for their needs & desires.

Want Non Partisan Races - Possible
Want term limits for elected officials - Possible
Want an appointed Supt of Ed - Possible
The sky's the limit.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Read about Charter Counties.

20 of 67 counties have know adopted this as a solution for their needs & desires.

Want Non Partisan Races - Possible
Want term limits for elected officials - Possible
Want an appointed Supt of Ed - Possible
The sky's the limit.

Are the other counties as "divided" as we are?

Non- partisan races- drooling at the thought.
Appointed Superintendent of Education- oh boy oh boy oh boy!!

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
I don't know if incorporation is the solution, but the current system certainly isn't working. Ridiculous that citizens have to band together and hire lawyers to fight projects that shouldn't make it past a planning review.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Are the other counties as "divided" as we are?

Non- partisan races- drooling at the thought.
Appointed Superintendent of Education- oh boy oh boy oh boy!!

All great ideas.

The unfortunate reality is that this a N vs S thing.

Look at our elected representation:

Our one Commissioner gets targeted by the Sheriff and State Attorney for nonsense, and the one that reps a small piece of the West side now Defends the "theft" of tax dollars being "unknowingly" funneled to DeFuniak.

Agendas? No, not in CoWal...

Many will critize this post and make opposition comments. The reality is that the south end is the cash cow for all north of the bay and its time to get off the cows tit. Equal representation, stop the corruption, many here don't want to "go along ta get along".

I look forward to speaking with a lot of people on Friday and hearing their ideas on how the people can move forward and past this long standing good ole boy (girl) system.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
The tone of some comments concerns me far more than the content. There is far too much "my way or the highway" and " if I don't get my way I'll take my ball and go home" type statements made on every side of every issue. Walton County is diverse, and the truth is it is getting more so every day. The goals and needs of the South are never going to be the same as the North and Freeport is different from both. Not to mention that Miramar is different from 30A and DFS is different from unincorporated North. But we are all in the same county and will continue to be. And if we actually listen to one another we might find we have more in common than we think. So a little compromise and understanding on every side would go a long way. A good start would be to accept that everyone who does not agree with you is not necessarily "corrupt" or a "good old boy." I personally did not like some of the Grand Jury investigative focus and do not like how money gets sent to the wrong place for 30 years. But lets let the process play out and see how things shake out before we start accusing people.
Just to clue some of you in, if you want to incorporate South Walton, hold the referendum in the North; it will pass by a landslide.;) A charter effort might be a different story, the devil is in the details.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I appreciate your contribution to the discussion Danny. The tone of A Better South Walton group and effort has been very positive as it looks forward to a bright future. Community members are volunteering a lot of time and energy into work, ideas, and possibilities. I've never seen a better "tone" in this Community at any other time. Sometimes it's time to be responsible for your own future, and I think that is what many in this town are thinking, saying and doing. I couldn't be more proud of this place for standing up.

BUT I hear you. There are many problems. I think the group is trying to be positive but those problems are part of the discussion. I too have heard or read some uncalled for comments from supporters of ABSW or Visioning Facebook group. It's inevitable, but I hope it can continue in a constructive way. That's the only way to success. And I believe most understand this and are in it together.

BTW, the tone and comments sometimes seen on Visioning only represent a small segment in SoWal. It's a private group and has its purpose.

The tone you see here in the forum is all over the place as all opinions and ideas are encouraged. This is a place for everyone to participate.

We all have frustration with Walton County. And we probably always will regardless of whether we incorporate or not. Becoming a city gives us leadership and a way to be responsible for our future. No one else is going to do it. Either the people of South Walton take responsibility or no one does. Besides developers and long distance oversight by the BCC.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I see all of South Walton having a lot of commonality for forming an excellent incorporation. Each community has its unique qualities but cities are always like this. It's what makes a city so interesting. Leadership is key. We have never, ever truly had it. What a difference that may make in our future. And it is OUR future to care about and shape.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I see all of South Walton having a lot of commonality for forming an excellent incorporation. Each community has its unique qualities but cities are always like this. It's what makes a city so interesting. Leadership is key. We have never, ever truly had it. What a difference that may make in our future. And it is OUR future to care about and shape.

Teresa, this is what I see as being our main problem. Your idea of community ends at the Clyde Wells Bridge. Everything North is the enemy.