• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Dummy in this case being me. I look at this page every day and think it's pretty interesting. There are more than a few of you who are very well-informed and intelligent, so if you could answer this in layman's terms, I'd be so happy!

Since when did our beach get so expensive? What was the deciding factor that made the prices go through the roof?

We've been coming to the beach for about 18 years or so. I know beach prices the world over go at a premium, but I remember when you could buy a lot at Seaside on Forest Street for $125K. Back then, you could also buy a nice house to live in for the same money, so you know that Seaside--in the 1980s--, though expensive, was not out of the reach for those who saved long and hard.

Currently, houses at Seaside are in excess of $1 million, and you know most of our population (including those who save long and hard) DON'T live in houses that expensive. The prices on 30-A are astronomically high.

Is it just that 30-A is popular and desireable because of the upscale nature of Seaside, Watercolor, and Rosemary Beach? Are they what's driven prices up? I have to admit I'm not familiar with Pensacola, Gulf Shores or other Panhandle towns; have their real estate values escalated at a similar rate, too?

And finally, who on earth's buying these million dollar plus properties? My parents, who live in Naples, sent me an article about their real estate, and down there, it's Europeans driven by the strong Euro who are buying up properties like hot cakes. Is it the same case on 30-A?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
My husband and I ask the same question...our answer...Drug $$$!!!! Makes us feel better some how. I remember looking at those prices in Seaside as well from the '80's on. We were way too cautious with two young ones to put through private school to invest....but in the end it's all been good.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Sueshore, same here. I remember looking at that lot in the mid-eighties, two babies in tow, thinking that that same $125K for an empty lot in Seaside was the same price as our comfortable 3 bedroom home in Atlanta...and I shook my head at the $$ they were asking! Now almost two decades later I shake my head again but for a different reason. (But like you, I wouldn't have changed a thing, anyway.)

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Actually, there is a rumor that a prominent developer was involved with cocaine smuggling. So you never know . . .

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
I suspect that the popularity of the area, which translates into ever escalating real estate values, may be partly emotional and partly real value. I grew up in South Walton County and never expected to have a home back there, my life and career on the opposite coast. But with family in the area and fond memories of the beaches, we decided to purchase a home to enjoy on our trips back there. That's the emotional part. The real value part is that the price we paid at Grayton was a small fraction of what we would pay for the same home on a beach in Southern CA (where the beaches are more hospitable than on our northern coast and, therefore, more comparable to Florida's Gulf Coast). In short, the properties were extremely undervalued for coastal real estate and it would be only a matter of time before others realized this, along with the charms and easy lifestyle of the area. As difficult as it may be to imagine, prices will take another breathtaking turn upwards when the new airport is a reality. Even at its present value, our FL home is about one-fourth what we would have to pay for a home by the sea here.

Major resort operators are watching the area: Fairmont, Hyatt, Four Seasons, and Ritz Carlton with an eye on new five star resorts and fractionalized ownership of homes associated with the resorts. They need improved accessibility, adequate infrastructure, quality of life, and an adequate labor pool in order to make capital commitments. This could be good or bad for the character of the area, but will definitely be good for real estate values of existing owners. These major names in the resort and leisure industry will focus worldwide interest on our beaches.

As the area becomes more sophisticated and more accessible, it will attract people from even more affluent areas. The real estate will still seem an incredible bargain to them and these are market segments that economic recessions typically do not adversely effect. I foresee the area attracting a growing number of people from New York, Chicago, and European capitals. The big unknown factor will be how well Walton County manages the growth and quality of life as development progresses. Seaside set the tone for what we see now. I think we are still waiting for the next bellweather. Who knows?...maybe it is "cracker chic." The really fascinating stories will be the gentrification of Freeport and DeFuniak Springs. Stay tuned...

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Donna said:
I suspect that the popularity of the area, which translates into ever escalating real estate values, may be partly emotional and partly real value. I grew up in South Walton County and never expected to have a home back there, my life and career on the opposite coast. But with family in the area and fond memories of the beaches, we decided to purchase a home to enjoy on our trips back there. That's the emotional part. The real value part is that the price we paid at Grayton was a small fraction of what we would pay for the same home on a beach in Southern CA (where the beaches are more hospitable than on our northern coast and, therefore, more comparable to Florida's Gulf Coast). In short, the properties were extremely undervalued for coastal real estate and it would be only a matter of time before others realized this, along with the charms and easy lifestyle of the area. As difficult as it may be to imagine, prices will take another breathtaking turn upwards when the new airport is a reality. Even at its present value, our FL home is about one-fourth what we would have to pay for a home by the sea here.

Major resort operators are watching the area: Fairmont, Hyatt, Four Seasons, and Ritz Carlton with an eye on new five star resorts and fractionalized ownership of homes associated with the resorts. They need improved accessibility, adequate infrastructure, quality of life, and an adequate labor pool in order to make capital commitments. This could be good or bad for the character of the area, but will definitely be good for real estate values of existing owners. These major names in the resort and leisure industry will focus worldwide interest on our beaches.

As the area becomes more sophisticated and more accessible, it will attract people from even more affluent areas. The real estate will still seem an incredible bargain to them and these are market segments that economic recessions typically do not adversely effect. I foresee the area attracting a growing number of people from New York, Chicago, and European capitals. The big unknown factor will be how well Walton County manages the growth and quality of life as development progresses. Seaside set the tone for what we see now. I think we are still waiting for the next bellweather. Who knows?...maybe it is "cracker chic." The really fascinating stories will be the gentrification of Freeport and DeFuniak Springs. Stay tuned...

Donna you nailed it. Great post. It seems you frequently put into words what I am thinking but have a hard time articulating. The other piece of the puzzle is that even at the prices some see as "over the top" SoWal is still not at or exceeding other coastal areas as far as price is concerned. Some would argue (and will in the thread) that lot sizes in SoWal don't compare to Hilton Head ocean front etc but the beauty of the dunes, beaches, water, and communities is unmatched on HHI IMO. The piece is that SoWal is so accessable via car from many points in the southeast, southwest, and even central US that it is a fairly easy (some not so easy) "drive to" destination with a 5.5-12 hour drive time. Due to the beauty and charm of the area, others drive far longer, fly, or do whatever it takes to get to SoWal. I have not talked to anyone that has ever been to SoWal that does not 1) love it, 2) want to go back, 3) want to own there (if they can scrape the $$ together), and 4) go back home and tell everyone about it.

With the prospective airport coming into west PCB area, Joe and other developers doing all they can to develop beautiful communities, the big dogs (beer makers, big haired lady/singer, the mouse, and other resort chains) looking at property north of 98, the area should continue to be a great place and appreciate. As said, the unknown factors that will help or hurt this continued appreciating are the county handling the growth, planning, and making sure the infrastructure is in place, the northern US and foreign investors attraction and putting their money into the area, and companies and others relocating to DeFuniak and Freeport.

All this is to say that the area is good IMO for the long term. Most real estate markets that have "legs" for the long run go thru several waves of cycles (ups, flats, ups etc) and have some correction points. But in the end the ones that have alot of the factors above sustain value indefinitely (even if not at 100% cumulative increase year over year). :cool:

Last edited:

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Robert said:

Just a few weeks ago on the radio here in Atlanta, I heard that Atlanta is now home to a record 49,000 millionaires!!!! That is just Atlanta. We are 6 hours from SoWal and with Birmingham, Charlotte, Orlando, other cities within 10-12 hrs or less with their millionaires Sowal is the drive to destination that everyone has or is finding out about. Like the results or not. It is show me the money and I live in Atlanta and there is no shortage of it up here, people from here as owners or renters love to come to SoWal and spend it, and the appetite to spend is healthy here from what I see everyday. :cool:

pat3797

Beach Comber
Apr 22, 2005
I hate to use the Tech bubble analysis because I agree that these two items are apples and oranges in comparison. But the runup in prices is similar and don't think for a minute that when the stock market declined and started showing signs of long term returns being mid single digits, investors didn't start looking elsewhere for "larger" returns.

It may take some more time, but eventually the $$$ will follow the big returns and even if 30A goes back to nice annual increases of 8-12%, this will drive the investor and flippers somewhere else.

Mermaid said:
I have to admit I'm not familiar with Pensacola, Gulf Shores or other Panhandle towns; have their real estate values escalated at a similar rate, too?
Not *quite* as bad over there, but yes, prices have definitely jumped.
We are looking for a place to live in Port St Joe, and it ain't easy.
And finally, who on earth's buying these million dollar plus properties?
Isn't Lockheed moving to Alabama?
I think the information technology industry is still going fairly well.
Here in Denver, I know several people, some of them awfully young, who made it big, really big, in software--they are multimillionaires and retired.
They aren't living in teeny little houses, nor do they own just one home.