• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
NOLA.com

Baton Rouge has seen a flurry of real estate activity this week with thousands of Hurricane Katrina evacuees descending on the city.

Local realtors said Thursday that many families are buying homes in the Baton Rouge metropolitan area because they realize that a return to the Big Easy is a big time away. And businesses displaced by the storm are snapping up office and warehouse space in the state?s capital city because they realize it may be years before they return home.

Some consumers with solid credit scores and large down payments are getting virtually non-paper mortgages within days instead of the weeks the process usually takes.

Lynda Schlif of Realty Executives Integrity First Real Estate said that her office has been "swamped, swamped swamped.?

Schiff said her small firm posted sales volume of about $15 million last year and she expects that volume to rise 50 percent this year because of Hurricane Katrina.

"Hollywood couldn't write a worst script,'' said Arthur Sterbcow, president of Latter & Blum Inc. Realtors in New Orleans. Latter & Blum also owns C.J. Brown Realtors, Baton Rouge's largest real estate company. The Baton Rouge market -- just a fraction of New Orleans ? will be hard pressed to accommodate the surge of evacuees.

"Baton Rouge is about to become the fastest growing city in America in about an hour,'' Sterbcow said from his temporary headquarters on Perkins Avenue in Baton Rouge. "This is the largest (relocation) operation in our company's history.?

Baton Rouge's population was 450,000 a week ago. ?I bet you it is 650,000 today,'' he said.
Jim and Donna Vance, Algiers residents, are among the evacuees coming to the city. On Thursday they headed out to look at a house and Catholic High Schools in Baton Rouge. They even made an offer on a home, but by the time they did, the property had been sold.

?People are just going to have to act quick,? said CJ Brown agent Dave Caraccioli.

Latter & Blum manages between 7,000 and 8,000 apartments in the metro Baton Rouge area, and Sterbcow, who watched on CNN Wednesday night as a bare-chested "thug'' with a crowbar broke into Latter & Blum's main headquarters in downtown New Orleans, said that all of his rental units are leased.

Sterbcow has set up a relocation phone bank to handle the demand. His brokers and agents are helping New Orleans residents move to Houston, Atlanta and everywhere in-between.

He is convinced that New Orleans will return to its glory days, but that it may take residents and the nation 20 years to erase the psychological and economical impact Hurricane Katrina has created.

He also predicts, with other local Realtors agreeing, that Baton Rouge will become the fastest-growing city in the United States over the next year or two, surpassing the explosion of population and single-family home construction seen in Las Vegas

But Sterbcow is determined to return to New Orleans. "When the power is back on, I'll be sitting in my office at 800 Common St.,'' he said, downplaying any thought that the city will not be rebuilt, as some television talking heads have suggested.

One thing Baton Rouge has that New Orleans has always lacked is land, and Sterbcow expects a surge in single-family home construction and a real estate boom unimaginable to the area just five days ago.

Latter Blum/C.J. Brown is not alone in being flooded with requests for space.
David McKey of Coldwell Banker Phelps & McKey Realtors Inc. of Baton Rouge are buying both commercial buildings and homes.

"They don't have a choice, that's really the only alternative,? McKey said.

McKey?s staff fielded over 300 to 350 calls in two days from New Orleanians seeking commercial and residential space.

?We?ve just had two in a row looking to buy and they have no intention of ever returning to New Orleans,? McKey said.

McKey said that he expects the Baton Rouge real estate market to bounce dramatically. "I think this is going to go on not for months but for years,'' he said.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Re: realtors - need a hot market?

FoX said:
?We?ve just had two in a row looking to buy and they have no intention of ever returning to New Orleans,? McKey said.

Local newscasters in the DFW area report that nearly all evacuees they have spoken with plan to relocate.

I'm headed out now to buy backpacks and school supplies for some of the families enrolling in my daughter's school here in Arlington. Have a lead on 4 jobs that may help some of them too.

Dallas' Reunion Arena can't hold all that are coming and Astrodome filled earlier.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin

My wife just brought our daughter home from Butler Elementary. She was told there are 60 new children there as of today, relocated from the effects of Katrina.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

OnMackBayou said:
My wife just brought our daughter home from Butler Elementary. She was told there are 60 new children there as of today, relocated from the effects of Katrina.

I'll bet not many will return once the sand gets between their toes. ;-)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

kurt said:
I'll bet not many will return once the sand gets between their toes. ;-)

I agree. Not only for the people who escape here, but elsewhere, too, even places without sand. People hate change. For them to be out of NOLA for at least 1 year without housing, they are sure to get jobs in their temporary town. They may even fall in love with towns which are so generous, and filled with loving, compassionate people. Remember, many will be coming out of NewOrleans, the murder capital of the USA. After setting up jobs, careers and housing, and establishing new friends, I don't think most people are likely to go back to a city that is not there. People, as a whole, dislike change. Most are likely tol stay in the place to where they ran for safety and comfort.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin

Smiling JOe said:
I agree. Not only for the people who escape here, but elsewhere, too, even places without sand. People hate change. For them to be out of NOLA for at least 1 year without housing, they are sure to get jobs in their temporary town. They may even fall in love with towns which are so generous, and filled with loving, compassionate people. Remember, many will be coming out of NewOrleans, the murder capital of the USA. After setting up jobs, careers and housing, and establishing new friends, I don't think most people are likely to go back to a city that is not there. People, as a whole, dislike change. Most are likely tol stay in the place to where they ran for safety and comfort.
Amen Kurt and SJ.

It struck me a while back, it should have been obvious, one reason people like it here, and the reason some of those displaced people may decide to stay here permanently. It's the same reason I used to like it in Naples, before it became a Palm Beachy kind of place.

It's because everyone is just so darn happy to be here and it creates such a great karma. The locals of course are really happy to be able to be here full time. The part timers love their opportunities to come down from wherever they have to live the rest of the time. And some of the happiest people are those at Publix on check in day when they're stocking up for their stay.

Really, I know most of those who are here involuntarily must miss and be proud of their hometowns. But I bet after they're here awhile some of them will not be going back.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Amen Kurt, SJ and Mack...
I've had a number of conversations with realtors and property managers over the last couple of days. While I wish Katrina had never happened, it nevertheless will bring change and some of it may be positive.

A lot of people are moving into the area...some will stay. Many of these people already had second homes here which--as of Monday--just got converted to primary residences. And all of them are people who owned their own businesses or were otherwise successful at what they did.

Think about what happens when entrepreneurial, business-savvy types have to rebuild their lives. These are not people who roll over, play dead and go on the dole. Expect to see an influx of new businesses start up over the next year or so. Which means more hiring. Which means secondary markets. Which means more development. Which means--ahh, you get the picture...

Could even shift the political demographics of Walton county.

Won't happen overnight, of course. Short-term effects will likely involve shortages of goods and services with the accompanying price-hikes that such shortages always cause. Nor is today's county infrastructure capable of handling a population spike (hell, we can't even deal with the current population). And there's no guarantee the next Cat 5 might not decide to make landfall here.

But once we adjust, all of this just might mean that alleged "bubble" may not be bursting after all. At least not anytime soon.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
beachyteachy said:
There are much more than 60. I think we registered 60 at Butler today.

Didn't you say that you registered some 40-60 kids yesterday, too?

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
As of 2:30 today, more than 100 new students had been registered at Butler. The staff there did an amazing job handling all the emotional people. Everyone that came in was very impressed with our school and the treatment they received.