• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
This is from the WZEP news about the recent BCC meeting:
"Commissioner Meadows asked about providing a survey asking the public if they want a curb side recycling program. It could cost residents $5 a month. She says the current blue bag program is not working like they expected."

Didn't I just read that the county transferred money out of the landfill account for the Sheriff or the jail, something like that :dunno:
I would like to have curbside recycling, but I don't particularly see why I should have to pay for it. It's my understanding trash pickup is paid for with the discretionary one-cent sales tax. Maybe Walton GOP or someone else can enlighten me? Is the sales tax collection inadequate, or is some of the money being used for something else? Is recycling that big of a money loser? :dunno:

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
Good question, NDY. Yes. I would like an answer to that one also.....

As far as this household is concerned, we will GLADY pay $ 5 addition per month to put recyclables out at the street.

Right now, I spend at least that much on gas driving out of my way to obtain blue bags or going directly to the recycle trailers.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I have wondered about this ever since I moved here from Tallahassee. There, we had curb side recycling forever...and Waste Management had the contract for trash pick up same as here.

Perhaps someone in the County government can tell us why recycling here is such an issue --of both ease and money. Why would it cost more to pick up recycling from the curb and keep it separate from the garbage?

Doesn't make any sense to me.:dunno:

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
I was told by someone at the Regional Utilities that my garbage was being opened at the landfill by convicts and that they were pulling out the recyclables. Disturbing if true for a few reasons but encouraging also if you want to recycle the lazy way.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I was told by someone at the Regional Utilities that my garbage was being opened at the landfill by convicts and that they were pulling out the recyclables. Disturbing if true for a few reasons but encouraging also if you want to recycle the lazy way.

So, are they saying they do this to give the inmates something to do......

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
How about one of our 2X/wk pickups is for recycling. I personally can't fill up my can 2x a week, and if I could, would just buy an additional can.

possibly the $5 is for the purchase of the blue and green bins...(but that would only carry on for two weeks.

Personally, I think it is a crime that we don't already have curbside.

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
How about one of our 2X/wk pickups is for recycling. I personally can't fill up my can 2x a week, and if I could, would just buy an additional can.

possibly the $5 is for the purchase of the blue and green bins...(but that would only carry on for two weeks.

Especially since 30 A is soon supposed to be designated as a U.S. National Scenic Highway soon, and especially in light of the fact that we live in a very unique eco-system!

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
Here is a full Walton Sun article on this a little bit back.

Hope to have a wonderful solution to this! :wave:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, it is true and it is EXTREMELY disturbing.

I have wondered about this ever since I moved here from Tallahassee. There, we had curb side recycling forever...and Waste Management had the contract for trash pick up same as here.

Perhaps someone in the County government can tell us why recycling here is such an issue --of both ease and money. Why would it cost more to pick up recycling from the curb and keep it separate from the garbage?

Doesn't make sense to me either. WasteMgt logo has something about "thinking green" on every truck, yet they are not recycling in WalCo, from what I understand. In Asheville, Waste Mgt is the contracted collectors, and they make one pickup a week. The truck has one bin for garbage, another for recyclable plastics, and a third bin for paper and cardboard. The residents separate the garbage from the recyclables. The guys on the truck toss them accordingly into each bin. They are just as fast as the guys picking up garbage only, around here.

Residents could buy their own bins. They already make us pay for our own garbage cans. The only problem I see with making one of the two weekly pickups during season, a recycling pickup, is the potential problem with the rentors garbage needs. Still, I think WM can convert their trucks to three bins and have a great recycling/garbage program around here.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

I grew up in Tallahassee and it took years of fighting to get the curbside pick up in place. Even then it was only in the city limits. This BTW was about 15 years ago so the city limits were much smaller than today.

Makes you want to get a shredder doesn't it? My understand was that before they were sorting thru the raw garbage looking for recyclables and some local kids actually came up (saw a movie/documentary) with the idea that blue bags would make it easier and faster thus raising the amount recycled. :dunno: